18.98°C Vancouver

News

b-c-seeks-court-stay-in-cowichan-tribes-aboriginal-title-case-amid-concerns-from-richmond-residents
BCOct 30, 2025

B.C. seeks court stay in Cowichan Tribes Aboriginal title case amid concerns from Richmond residents

Premier David Eby says the British Columbia government will ask the courts to delay implementation of a ruling that recognized Aboriginal title for the Cowichan Tribes over land in Richmond. The province is requesting a stay while the B.C. Court of Appeal reviews the landmark decision, which has raised questions about its impact on private land ownership. In August, the B.C. Supreme Court declared that the Cowichan Tribes hold Aboriginal title to about 750 acres along the Fraser River. The court found that Crown grants of private titles on that land were an unjustified infringement of Cowichan
bc-government-calls-emergency-meeting-with-federal-ministers
BCOct 29, 2025

BC government calls emergency meeting with federal ministers

The BC government is calling an emergency meeting with federal ministers in Vancouver next week, also known as the Forestry Sector Summit, in light of the trade dispute with the US and the recent increase in tariffs on softwood, with Forestry Minister Ravi Parmar inviting federal ministers Dominique LeBlanc and Melanie Joly to attend. The BC government intends to seek financial assistance from the federal government to help the struggling forestry sector and combat the tariffs. Parmar said that forestry for us in BC is like the auto sector and the steel sector, which the government should a
a-serious-motorcycle-crash-that-closed-highway-97c-is-prompting-a-call-for-witnesses-and-video
BCOct 29, 2025

A serious motorcycle crash that closed Highway 97C is prompting a call for witnesses and video

Police are looking for witnesses and dash-camera video to explain what led to a serious, single-vehicle motorcycle collision that shut down Highway 97C. On October 27, 2025, at 2:15 p.m., a blue Harley-Davidson with two people on board crashed on Highway 97C several kilometres north of the junction with Highway #8. The driver of the motorcycle, a 37-year-old man was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. His passenger, a 39-year-old Logan Lake woman was hospitalized with life-altering and life-threatening injuries. “Alcohol and speed are being investigated as contributing fa
b-c-man-charged-in-1997-ontario-sexual-assault-cases-after-dna-breakthrough
BCOct 29, 2025

B.C. man charged in 1997 Ontario sexual assault cases after DNA breakthrough

Ontario Provincial Police say a 52-year-old man from Campbell River, British Columbia, has been arrested in connection with a series of sexual assaults that took place across southwestern Ontario nearly three decades ago. Investigators allege four females were assaulted in separate incidents between March and August 1997 in Lambton County, Kent County, and the city of Sarnia. Three of the victims were teenagers aged 15 and 16 at the time. According to police, the suspect allegedly used a vehicle to drive each victim to a secluded area before committing the assaults and leaving them behind. The
BCOct 28, 2025

Man arrested in connection with Lynn Valley tire slashing spree, say North Vancouver RCMP

North Vancouver RCMP say a suspect has been arrested in connection with a string of tire slashings that damaged several vehicles in the Lynn Valley area last week. Police received at least 16 reports between October 25 and 26 of tires being punctured or slashed on vehicles parked along Kirkstone Road, Viewlynn Drive, Lynn Valley Road, and Mountain Highway. Investigators believe more victims may not yet have come forward. After reviewing neighbourhood security video, officers identified a suspect and made an arrest around 5 p.m. on Monday, October 27. The man remains in custody as the investiga
avian-flu-resurges-in-fraser-valley-with-nine-new-poultry-outbreaks-this-month
BCOct 28, 2025

Avian flu resurges in Fraser Valley with nine new poultry outbreaks this month

Health officials have confirmed a new wave of avian influenza outbreaks across British Columbia’s Fraser Valley, marking the province’s first cases in nearly a year. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) says nine commercial poultry flocks in Abbotsford and Chilliwack have tested positive for the virus since mid-October. The latest surge began on October 14, when the first outbreak of the season was detected in Abbotsford. Eight additional cases were reported in the following days, six of them in Chilliwack-area farms. The return of infections coincides with the annual fall migration
BCOct 28, 2025

Two youth arrested after reported robbery at New Westminster’s Moody Park

New Westminster Police say two youth have been arrested following a reported robbery involving a child at Moody Park on Saturday evening. Officers were called around 5:30 p.m. on October 26 after a parent reported that their child, under the age of 16, had been grabbed from behind by two other youth who demanded money. Police determined that one of the suspects was known to the victim. Both suspects were located nearby, arrested for robbery, and later released to their guardians while the investigation continues. “This is a concerning incident for both the young victim and their family,” s
abbotsford-teen-faces-fines-and-licence-suspension-after-high-speed-stop-on-highway-1
BCOct 28, 2025

Abbotsford teen faces fines and licence suspension after high-speed stop on Highway 1

A 17-year-old Abbotsford driver is facing multiple penalties and a suspended licence after BC Highway Patrol officers caught him speeding at nearly 180 kilometres per hour on Highway 1 earlier this month. Police say the teenager, a Class 7 novice driver, was stopped around 7:45 a.m. on October 19 near Clearbrook Road. The grey Honda sedan he was driving was clocked at 178 km/h in a 100 zone, despite wet road conditions. Officers later confirmed he had obtained his licence only in January and was carrying two passengers who were not family members, a violation of novice restrictions. The teen w
BCOct 28, 2025

B.C. extends freeze on basic auto insurance rates until 2027

Drivers in British Columbia will see no increase to their basic auto insurance premiums until at least spring 2027, extending a seven-year streak of stable rates under the province’s public insurer. Attorney General Niki Sharma, who oversees the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), said the decision supports the government’s broader affordability measures. “Keeping basic insurance rates low and stable is part of our government’s commitment to affordability and helping people manage their day-to-day budgets,” she said in a statement. ICBC’s latest financial review found

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees