21.73°C Vancouver

News

judge-wont-relax-huawei-cfo-meng-wanzhous-bail-conditions
BCJan 29, 2021

Judge won't relax Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou's bail conditions

A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has refused to ease Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou's bail conditions, saying the current restrictions are the minimum required to ensure she does not flee Canada. Justice William Ehrcke dismissed Meng's application for changes to her bail conditions, which would have allowed her to leave her Vancouver home outside the hours of her overnight curfew without the presence of security. Meng's husband testified earlier this month that she has underlying health conditions and he believes she's at increased risk of contracting COVID-19 because of her proximity to
b-c-supports-international-travel-restrictions-premier-john-horgan
BCJan 29, 2021

B.C. supports international travel restrictions: Premier John Horgan

British Columbia's premier says the province supports the federal government's move to impose new travel restrictions due to COVID-19. John Horgan says in a statement the decision to limit international travel will help keep British Columbians safe. On Wednesday, Horgan said the province had no immediate plans to impose travel restrictions requiring anyone entering the province to self-isolate for 14 days. Health Minister Adrian Dix told a news conference today that B.C. has been concerned about the followup on quarantine protocols across the country. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced n
BCJan 29, 2021

Australian officials release final report into deadly seaplane crash that killed six people, including BC pilot

Australian officials have released the final report into a deadly seaplane crash near Sydney in December 2017 that killed six people, including the BC pilot. The report confirms the findings of an interim review that determined 44 year old former North Vancouver resident and experienced pilot Gareth Morgan was likely confused and disoriented by exhaust fumes that had seeped into the cabin through cracks in the plane's exhaust collector ring. The de Havilland Beaver nosedived into waters north of Sydney while on a sightseeing flight killing 58 year old British businessman Richard Cousins, his
BCJan 29, 2021

UBC student attacked and robbed, RCMP warns public and students around UBC

RCMP are warning the public and students around the University of British Columbia to be vigilant after a jogger was attacked. Mounties allege in a news release the student was out for a run in Pacific Spirit Park this Wednesday around noon when she was assaulted and robbed. They say the woman was approached by an unknown man who struck her without warning. The suspect then fled with her cellphone. RCMP suggest those who jog or walk with ear buds to keep the volume low. RCMP also suggests, if possible, to exercise in pairs or in populated areas.
BCJan 29, 2021

Six members were sounding the alarm about the spread of COVID-19 among inmates at a B.C. prison; Union president disappointed in the outcome of report

The union representing employees at a BC prison say six members were sounding the alarm about the spread of COVID-19 among inmates five days before health officials formally declared an outbreak. The BC Government and Service Employees Union says six employees at the Fraser Regional Correctional Centre refused to take part in unsafe work last week. A WorkSafe BC inspection of the facility was triggered by the employees refusing to work. Inspection report concluded that some of the concerns raised were outside of the inspection's scope while others did not constitute an undue hazard. Union pre
546-new-covid-19-cases-and-12-deaths-rported-in-b-c-vancouver-coastal-health-urging-whistler-residents-to-continue-to-follow-public-health-restrictions
BCJan 29, 2021

546 new COVID-19 cases and 12 deaths rported in B.C.; Vancouver Coastal Health urging Whistler residents to continue to follow public health restrictions

Vancouver Coastal Health says 288 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Whistler from the start of the year through Tuesday. It says most of them are young people in their 20s and 30s who live, work and socialize together. The health agency is urging Whistler residents and potential visitors to continue to follow public health restrictions to lower the rising number of COVID-19 infections. It says Whistler experienced a similar spike in cases in November, which was resolved in early December. B.C. reported 546 new cases, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 66,265 cases. There a
rents-continue-to-creep-up-in-large-cities-with-vancouver-leading-the-pack-canada-mortgage-and-housing-corporation
BCJan 29, 2021

Rents continue to creep up in large cities with Vancouver leading the pack: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation

A new report from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation shows the rental market vacancy rate in this country's largest cities reached 3.2 per cent last year, while the rate in Metro Vancouver more than doubled to 2.6, the highest it has been in more than two decades. CMHC chief economist Bob Dugan says the pandemic cut into rental demand for several reasons including lower international migration, fewer student renters and a sagging employment market. But the report says rents continue to creep up in large cities. Report suggests Vancouver is leading the pack at just under 1,800 dollars per
BCJan 28, 2021

Court says B.C.'s Surrey Six killers can argue abuse of process, while guilt affirmed

Two men found guilty of killing six people in British Columbia's most notorious gang slayings will be allowed a hearing to argue their claims of abuse of process, but their guilty verdicts stand. The British Columbia Court of Appeal has upheld the first-degree murder verdicts for Matthew Johnston and Cody Haevischer in the so-called Surrey Six killings in October 2007. The court denied their request for a new trial, but it did quash their convictions and send the matter back to court for a hearing on their applications for a stay of proceedings over the abuse of process claims. The Appeal Cour
BCJan 28, 2021

One year since the first case of COVID-19 showed up in B.C.

It's been a year since the first case of COVID-19 showed up in BC and health officials are urging residents to keep their guard up against allowing the virus to spread. A joint statement from provincial health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix says there are infection hot spots in the province, including Fernie and Williams Lake. Fraser Health reports that nine inmates and two staff at the Fraser Regional Correctional Centre in Maple Ridge have tested positive. BC recorded 485 new case yesterday and four more COVID-19 related deaths for a total of 1,172 fatalities. Ja

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to