27.62°C Vancouver

News

surrey-mayor-b-c-conservative-leader-express-condolences-after-tumbler-ridge-tragedy
BCFeb 11, 2026

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke, B.C. Conservative leader respond after Tumbler Ridge shooting

According to RCMP public updates, officers responded to a report of an active shooter at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School on Feb. 10, 2026 and issued a public alert as police responded. RCMP later said investigators were continuing to process scenes as the investigation continued. In an official statement posted by the City of Surrey, Locke said Surrey stands in solidarity with the victims, their families, and the Tumbler Ridge community. She described the incident as an “unimaginable loss” and said Surrey residents share in the grief being felt across the province. The City also said flags
BCFeb 11, 2026

Federal flags lowered for seven days to honour victims of B.C. mass shooting

Prime Minister Mark Carney has ordered flags on all federal buildings and institutions to be flown at half-mast for seven days following a deadly mass shooting in northeastern British Columbia that left 10 people dead, including the suspect. The attacks took place Tuesday in the small community of Tumbler Ridge. According to the RCMP, the suspect is believed to have first killed two people at a private residence before going to a local school, where several others were shot in what police have described as one of the most serious mass shootings in recent Canadian history. Investigators have sa
police-confirm-multiple-deaths-after-shooting-at-tumbler-ridge-secondary-school
BCFeb 11, 2026

Police confirm multiple deaths after shooting at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School

Tumbler Ridge RCMP say multiple people are dead and others injured after a shooting at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School on Tuesday afternoon. Police were called at about 1:20 p.m. after a report of an active shooter and issued a Police Initiated Public Alert. The alert was cancelled at 5:45 p.m. after officers determined there were no outstanding suspects and no ongoing threat to the public. RCMP say an individual believed to be the shooter was found dead inside the school with what appears to be a self inflicted injury. Six other people were found dead in the school. Two victims were airlifted
surrey-driver-loses-lamborghini-after-alleged-197-km-h-speed-on-alex-fraser-bridge
BCFeb 06, 2026

Surrey driver loses Lamborghini after alleged 197 km/h speed on Alex Fraser Bridge

A Surrey driver is facing steep fines, a vehicle impound and long-term insurance penalties after B.C. Highway Patrol officers allege he was travelling at nearly three times the posted speed limit on the Alex Fraser Bridge. In a news release, B.C. Highway Patrol said officers stopped a 51-year-old driver on Feb. 4, 2026 after a Lamborghini Urus was observed moving significantly faster than surrounding traffic shortly after 8:00 p.m. Police said a laser speed reader recorded the vehicle at 197 km/h in a 70 km/h zone while northbound over the Delta span. Police said the driver received violation
two-charged-after-bear-spray-assault-during-east-vancouver-retail-robbery-attempt
BCFeb 05, 2026

Two charged after bear spray assault during East Vancouver retail robbery attempt

Two men are facing criminal charges after Vancouver Police say a loss prevention officer was assaulted during an attempted retail theft in East Vancouver earlier this week. Police were called shortly before 8:40 a.m. on February 2 to a store near Glen Drive and Terminal Avenue, where officers say two suspects used bear spray on an employee while trying to flee on foot with unpaid merchandise. The victim did not require hospital treatment, according to police. An extensive search of the surrounding area followed, involving patrol officers, a police drone, and a canine unit. The suspects were lo
abbotsford-man-now-faces-first-degree-murder-charge-in-hotel-homicide-investigation
BCFeb 05, 2026

Abbotsford man now faces first-degree murder charge in hotel homicide investigation

Homicide investigators in Abbotsford say a 26-year-old man is now charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of a 30-year-old woman whose body was discovered inside a local hotel last month. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Sondeep Singh Gill was initially charged with second-degree murder, but the charge was upgraded following additional investigative work and a review of the evidence. Gill also faces a separate charge of indignity to human remains. Police were first called to the hotel after patrol officers received reports of suspicious circumstances. Inves
former-kamloops-lawyer-convicted-of-first-degree-murder-in-killing-of-client
BCFeb 04, 2026

Former Kamloops lawyer convicted of first-degree murder in killing of client

A former Kamloops lawyer has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the killing of one of his clients, a Thompson Rivers University lecturer whose death shocked the local legal and academic communities. Rogelio “Butch” Bagabuyo was convicted in B.C. Supreme Court for the March 11, 2022 killing of Mohd Abdullah. The court heard that Bagabuyo stabbed Abdullah multiple times inside his law office after stealing nearly $800,000 from him, money that had been entrusted for legal matters. Prosecutors said the killing was planned and deliberate, noting that Bagabuyo attempted to conceal the c
parents-of-b-c-teen-piper-james-travel-to-australia-following-fatal-dingo-encounter
BCFeb 04, 2026

Parents of B.C. teen Piper James travel to Australia following fatal dingo encounter

The parents of Piper James have travelled to Australia to visit the beach where their daughter died while working overseas, as authorities continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death. The 19-year-old from Campbell River, B.C., was found dead earlier this month on K'gari, an island off Australia’s east coast formerly known as Fraser Island. Australian media reported that James’ parents arrived in Brisbane on Tuesday as they prepare to bring her remains home. James was working on the island when she went for an early-morning swim and was later discovered dead, surrounded
vancouver-police-probe-stabbing-after-fight-at-high-school-basketball-game
BCFeb 03, 2026

Vancouver police probe stabbing after fight at high school basketball game

Vancouver police are investigating a stabbing that left a teenager seriously injured following a high school basketball game at Eric Hamber Secondary School on Monday night. Police say the incident happened shortly after 9 p.m. as a game between Eric Hamber Secondary and Killarney Secondary was ending. Investigators believe several fights broke out among spectators, during which an 18-year-old boy was stabbed in the arm. The injured teen was taken to hospital and treated for his injuries. Police say his condition is serious but non-life-threatening. No arrests have been made, and the investiga

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees