19.18°C Vancouver

News

b-c-s-top-doctor-urges-people-to-follow-covid-19-rules-on-st-patricks-day
BCMar 17, 2021

B.C.'s top doctor urges people to follow COVID-19 rules on St. Patrick's Day

B.C.'s top doctor is reminding the public to follow COVID-19 rules during St. Patrick's Day celebrations, while the province has again extended its ongoing state of emergency in response to the pandemic. Dr. Bonnie Henry says in a statement that last call for alcohol sales at restaurants, pubs and liquor stores will be at 8 p.m. Wednesday. There are 4,999 active COVID-19 cases in B.C. with 556 new diagnoses, including 470 in the Fraser and Vancouver Coastal health regions. B.C. has confirmed 116 new cases of COVID-19 variants of concern in the last day for a total of 996, of which 130 remain
police-officer-and-driver-hurt-as-vehicle-rams-into-police-cruiser
BCMar 17, 2021

Police officer and driver hurt as vehicle rams into police cruiser

A police officer and a driver were both hurt last night when a vehicle slammed into a police cruiser blocking a lane of Highway 99 though Surrey. The lane had been closed as officers investigated an earlier shooting in the same area. RCMP say both the officer and the driver of the vehicle that hit the cruiser have non-life-threatening injuries. A charge of impaired driving has been laid and Mounties are appealing for information or dashcam video as they continue the investigation. Surrey RCMP on Twitter: A suspected impaired driver crashed into a roadblock last night on Highway 99. One of our
family-of-ben-tyner-announces-an-increase-in-the-size-of-the-reward-for-information-about-him
BCMar 16, 2021

Family of Ben Tyner announces an increase in the size of the reward for information about him

The family of missing Merritt-area ranch manager Ben Tyner has announced an increase in the size of the reward for information about him that could also lead to charges in his suspected death. In a post on Facebook, Jen Tyner says the reward has grown to 30-thousand dollars after the owner of a Merritt ranch added 15-thousand dollars to the total. The 33-year-old was last seen leaving the Nicola Ranch on horseback in January 2019 and his body has never been found. His riderless horse was found unharmed a few days later. Police say they believe Tyner is the victim of homicide. Jen Overstreet T
covid-19-restrictions-force-cancellation-of-vaisakhi-khalsa-parade-in-surrey-b-c
BCMar 16, 2021

COVID-19 restrictions force cancellation of Vaisakhi Khalsa parade in Surrey, B.C.

For the second year in a row, Surrey’s Vaisakhi Khalsa Day Parade – considered the world’s largest with more than 500,000 spectators annually – has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizers at Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar confirmed the April 24 event will not proceed in order to comply with provincial health orders restricting mass gatherings. Vaisakhi, which marks the creation of the Khalsa in 1699, is the most significant day in the Sikh calendar. Parade spokesman Moninder Singh told Connect News Team that families will celebrate in smaller, private ways this year. “
surrey-rcmp-giu-investigating-a-suspicious-fire-in-whalley
BCMar 16, 2021

Surrey RCMP GIU investigating a suspicious fire in Whalley

The Surrey RCMP General Investigation Unit (GIU) is investigating a suspicious fire that occurred last night in Whalley. On March 15, 2021 at approximately 11:30 p.m., Surrey RCMP was called to assist the Surrey Fire Service with a vehicle fire, in the 10700-block of 133 Street. Upon arrival, officersfound a vehicle in the carport of a residence fully engulfed in flames. The vehicle sustained significant damage while the carport was moderately damaged, no one was injured as a result of the fire. The investigation was assumed by the Surrey RCMP GIU who located evidence suggesting the fire was s
further-investigation-by-tsb-after-two-die-in-february-tug-sinking-off-northern-b-c
BCMar 16, 2021

Further investigation by TSB after two die in February tug sinking off northern B.C.

The Transportation Safety Board will conduct a broader investigation into the deadly sinking of a tugboat last month along British Columbia's north coast. Two men died and one survived when the Ingenika sank Feb. 11 south of Kitimat while towing a barge, which remained afloat. A data collection investigation has been completed by the board but a spokesman confirms a wider investigation is now planned looking for any contributing factors or safety deficiencies. Chris Krepski says an investigation page will soon be posted on the board's website and a report will be released when the probe wraps
BCMar 16, 2021

BC's police watchdog investigating police actions after man injured in Kamloops

BC's police watchdog is investigating to determine whether police actions are linked to the injury of a man in Kamloops on Friday night. RCMP say in a statement that an officer was on a routine patrol when he saw a fight in progress and placed one man under arrest for assault. They say, "an interaction occurred" before the man was taken into custody and he complained of injury en route to the RCMP detachment. The Mounties say emergency services brought the man to a local hospital, where it was determined he was suffering from serious injury. Police released no further information as the provi
more-than-17-million-doses-of-oxford-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-administered-and-concerns-about-blood-clots-related-to-37-cases-dr-bonnie-henry
BCMar 16, 2021

More than 17 million doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine administered and concerns about blood clots related to 37 cases: Dr. Bonnie Henry

BC is reporting 1,506 new cases of COVID-19 over the past three days. And provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says 10 more people have died, bringing the death toll in BC to 1,407. Dr. Henry used her COVID update today to urge people to get vaccinated as soon as possible with whatever vaccine they are offered. She says concerns about blood clots that have led some countries to suspend use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine appear to be related to 37 cases. She says blood clots can occur naturally and that's out of more than 17 million doses administered so far. BC's initial shipment of
man-expected-to-survive-after-police-involved-shooting-in-victoria-early-monday
BCMar 16, 2021

Man expected to survive after police-involved shooting in Victoria early Monday

Police are releasing few details about an officer-involved shooting in Victoria on Monday. A statement from Victoria police says a man armed with a weapon was shot by officers during an altercation at Royal Jubilee Hospital shortly before 5:30 a.m. Police say the victim is believed to have non-life-threatening injuries and no officers were hurt. The statement from Const. Cam MacIntyre says police were in the area on an unrelated call when they were alerted to a man at the hospital, allegedly carrying a weapon. MacIntyre says police used a less-lethal stun gun when they encountered the man but

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees