16.15°C Vancouver

News

man-arrested-after-woman-attacked-with-a-hammer-victoria-police
BCMay 04, 2021

Man arrested after woman attacked with a hammer: Victoria police

A man has been arrested in Victoria after a woman was attacked with a hammer at a park in James Bay. Officers on patrol were called to Irving Park following a loud altercation and learned on the way there that a woman's tent was destroyed with a baseball bat before she was assaulted with a hammer. Police say the suspect was found in his own tent and taken into custody while the woman was treated by paramedics at the scene. Charges of assault with a weapon, breach of probation and breaching conditions of release are being recommended against a 48-year-old man with a criminal record. Victoria p
fourth-metro-vancouver-shooting-in-as-many-days-injures-man-outside-shopping-mall
BCMay 04, 2021

Fourth Metro-Vancouver shooting in as many days injures man outside shopping mall

A man has suffered potentially life-threatening injuries in a brazen daylight shooting outside a busy shopping mall in Langley, B.C.A statement from the RCMP says it happened Monday just after 3:30 p.m. in the parking lot of Willowbrook Shopping Centre, 45 kilometres east of Vancouver.Investigators say the shooting does not appear random and few other details have been released.It was the fourth shooting in Metro Vancouver in as many days.There was an attack Sunday in Burnaby on a woman who is expected to survive, the fatal shooting Saturday of a 29-year-old corrections officer in the parking
covid-19-second-dose-vaccine-wait-times-may-drop-with-more-supply-says-dr-henry
BCMay 04, 2021

COVID-19 second-dose vaccine wait times may drop with more supply, says Dr. Henry

The expected arrival of more than one million COVID-19 vaccine doses this month has British Columbia health officials forecasting shorter waits between first and second doses for more people. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the increasing vaccine shipments could see the estimated 16-week interval between the first and second shots reduced. But Dr. Henry says it's still too early to concretely estimate the possible difference in wait times other than saying all people in B.C. could get their first vaccines before Canada Day. She says B.C. expects to receive 1.1 million doses of
b-c-planning-an-emergency-alert-system-test-this-week
BCMay 03, 2021

B.C. planning an emergency alert system test this week

BC is conducting another test of the emergency alert system on your wireless devices to improve public safety in the event of an emergency. The test is this Wednesday at 1:55 pm after last year's test was cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you want to make sure you'll receive such an alert, your devices need to be on and can't be on do-not-disturb or airplane mode. The alert will also be broadcast on radio and TV. Alert Ready is a Canada-wide system that allows government officials in each province and territory to issue public safety alerts through major television and radio broa
liberal-mla-mike-bernier-tests-positive-for-covid-19-first-elected-member-of-the-legislature-to-report-having-the-virus
BCMay 03, 2021

Liberal MLA Mike Bernier tests positive for COVID-19; first elected member of the legislature to report having the virus

Liberal MLA Mike Bernier says he has tested positive for COVID-19, making him the first elected member of the legislature to report having the virus. Bernier, who represents the riding of Peace River South, posted on social media that he and his family are self-isolating at home after testing positive for COVID-19. Bernier was vaccinated for the illness last Monday but says he's been told he was exposed before then and was not infectious while working at the legislature between April 19th and 22nd. Bernier calls the diagnosis a shock and says he will be spending the next several days with his
ihit-investigating-surrey-mans-death-from-gunshot-wound
BCMay 03, 2021

IHIT investigating Surrey man’s death from gunshot wound

IHIT is investigating a homicide of a 19-year-old man who died of a gunshot wound in Surrey. On April 30, 2021 just after 1:30 p.m., a 19-year-old man arrived in a Surrey hospital with a gunshot wound and subsequently died of his injuries. This is believed to be an isolated incident with no further risk to the public. It does not appear to be related to any of the other recent acts of violence. No arrests have been made in connection with this case as of yet. IHIT on Twitter: IHIT is investigating a homicide of a 19yo man who died of a gunshot wound in Surrey. On April 30, the man arrived in S
two-b-c-student-aid-websites-shut-down-after-possible-hacking-ministry
BCMay 03, 2021

Two B.C. student-aid websites shut down after possible hacking: ministry

The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training says it has temporarily shut down two British Columbia websites after both appear to have been compromised. The home pages of StudentAidBC and LearnLiveBC were altered Sunday and replaced with a statement allegedly from a hacker group. The affected sites offer application assistance or details about scholarships, grants, bursaries, loans and other financial programs for post-secondary students. A statement from the ministry says it has been alerted to the problem and is investigating, along with the Office of the Chief Information Officer
fireworks-festival-cancelled-in-vancouver-for-second-year-due-to-covid-19-pandemic
BCMay 03, 2021

Fireworks festival cancelled in Vancouver for second year due to COVID-19 pandemic

One of the largest and most popular summer celebrations in Vancouver has been cancelled for the second year in a row. The Vancouver Fireworks Festival society says the three-day Honda Celebration of Light fireworks event has been called off for 2021, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. In a statement, the society says the festival will be back in 2022, with dates already set for July 23, 27 and 30. In years past, roughly 400,000 people crowded the shores of Vancouver's English Bay each night of the festival to watch the fireworks. The event was also cancelled last year, which would have bee
BCMay 03, 2021

25 year old woman shot in Burnaby, one suspect in custody: RCMP

RCMP say a suspect is in custody following a shooting yesterday in Burnaby that seriously injured a 25 year old woman. Police say the 43 year old man was arrested hours after the incident and at a residence in Burnaby. They say they believe the shooting was targeted and isolated, and they have no evidence linking it to the Lower Mainland gang conflict. Police also say the woman is now in stable condition and her injuries are no longer believed to be life-threatening. Burnaby RCMP on Twitter: #BurnabyFrontline officers have arrested a 43-year-old Burnaby man in relation to this morning's shoot

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to