21.66°C Vancouver

News

b-c-union-calls-for-expanded-work-from-home-policy-amid-rising-fuel-costs
BCMar 30, 2026

B.C. union calls for expanded work-from-home policy amid rising fuel costs

The B.C. General Employees’ Union is urging the provincial government to allow full-time remote work for provincially regulated employees as fuel prices rise, citing financial pressure on workers. In a statement, the union – which represents about 35,000 public service workers among more than 95,000 members – said a temporary work-from-home policy would help offset costs linked to higher gasoline prices. The increase is tied to global supply concerns amid the ongoing Iran conflict, according to the union. The union also called on the province to consider additional relief measures for em
b-c-conservative-leadership-candidate-fulmer-signs-electoral-pact-with-onebcs-brodie
BCMar 30, 2026

B.C. Conservative leadership candidate Fulmer signs electoral pact with OneBC’s Brodie

B.C. Conservative leadership candidate Yuri Fulmer has entered into a “unite the right” agreement with former Conservative MLA Dallas Brodie, aimed at preventing vote-splitting if Fulmer becomes leader of the Opposition. According to a joint statement released by the two camps, Brodie’s OneBC party would refrain from running candidates in 88 of British Columbia’s 93 ridings. In exchange, the Conservatives would not field candidates in five unspecified ridings. Brodie, who was removed from the Conservative caucus last year by then-leader John Rustad, said she is offering her “full sup
man-critically-injured-in-police-involved-shooting-during-traffic-stop-in-fort-st-john
BCMar 30, 2026

Man critically injured in police-involved shooting during traffic stop in Fort St. John

A man is in hospital with life-threatening injuries following a police-involved shooting during a traffic stop early Sunday in Fort St. John, according to British Columbia’s police watchdog and the RCMP. The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. said in a statement that the incident occurred shortly after 3 a.m. near 86 Street and 97 Avenue. RCMP officers had stopped a pickup truck after determining one of the two occupants was believed to have outstanding warrants. According to RCMP, one exited the vehicle carrying a weapon, prompting an officer to discharge a firearm. The man, identifi
motorcyclist-injured-in-new-westminster-hit-and-run-police-seek-driver-witnesses
BCMar 30, 2026

Motorcyclist injured in New Westminster hit and run; police seek driver, witnesses

Police in New Westminster are asking for the public’s help following a hit and run that left a motorcyclist injured Saturday evening. According to a release from the New Westminster Police Department, officers responded to a crash in the 200 block of McBride Boulevard at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Investigators say a white van struck a motorcyclist and then fled the scene. The motorcyclist was taken to hospital with injuries. Police are urging the driver involved to come forward. Investigators are also asking anyone who may have dash camera or nearby CCTV footage from the area around the time
charges-approved-after-alleged-sexual-assault-in-downtown-vancouver
BCMar 27, 2026

Charges approved after alleged sexual assault in downtown Vancouver

A 47-year-old man has been charged following an alleged sexual assault in downtown Vancouver, according to a Vancouver Police Department release. Police said officers were called at approximately 7:20 p.m. on March 25 to Granville Street between Dunsmuir and Pender streets after a woman reported she had been groped by a stranger. Witnesses also told police the same suspect had allegedly assaulted other people in the area prior to officers arriving. The suspect was located at the scene and arrested without incident, police said. Derek Jason Sangris, 47, has been charged with one count of sexual
abbotsford-police-issue-public-safety-notice-ahead-of-offenders-release
BCMar 27, 2026

Abbotsford police issue public safety notice ahead of offender’s release

The Abbotsford Police Department says a 46-year-old man with a history of violent sexual offences is scheduled to be released into the community later this month under strict conditions. According to an Abbotsford Police Department news release, Stephen Bradley Ewing is set to be released from William Head Institution on March 30 and is expected to reside in the Abbotsford area. Police say Ewing has prior convictions from 2021 and 2023, including sexual assault, sexual assault causing bodily harm, and overcoming resistance by choking. The release also states that at least one offence involved
rcmp-seek-to-identify-person-of-interest-in-2024-suspicious-death-in-prince-george
BCMar 26, 2026

RCMP seek to identify person of interest in 2024 suspicious death in Prince George

Prince George RCMP say their investigation into a suspicious death following a house fire in September 2024 is ongoing, and officers are asking the public to help identify a person of interest. Police said they are continuing to gather witness accounts from the night of the incident. “Police continue to seek witnesses to the events of that evening, in order to help bring closure to the family and friends of the deceased,” said Cpl. Jennifer Cooper, media relations officer with Prince George RCMP, in a statement. According to an RCMP news release, officers responded to a house fire on Sept.
b-c-conservative-mla-hon-chan-removed-from-caucus-amid-reported-criminal-charges
BCMar 26, 2026

B.C. Conservative MLA Hon Chan removed from caucus amid reported criminal charges

The Conservative Party of British Columbia says Richmond Centre MLA Hon Chan has been removed from its caucus after the party was made aware he is facing what it described as “serious criminal charges.” In a statement, interim leader Trevor Halford said the party takes “any allegations of domestic violence” seriously, but did not provide details about the nature of the charges or when they were laid. No court documents or police statements were immediately cited in the party’s release, and the allegations have not been independently verified. The party did not say whether Chan will c
rcmp-australian-police-seize-115-kg-of-meth-in-cross-border-trafficking-investigation
BCMar 26, 2026

RCMP, Australian police seize 115 kg of meth in cross-border trafficking investigation

A joint investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Australian Federal Police has led to the seizure of 115 kilograms of methamphetamine and the arrest of three individuals in Canada and Australia. According to an RCMP news release, investigators identified two suspects allegedly involved in exporting drugs from Canada to Australia, prompting a cross-border probe led by the RCMP’s Federal Policing Pacific Region Drugs and Organized Crime section. Authorities later intercepted a shipment destined for Melbourne. In January 2026, RCMP investigators, with assistance from the Canad

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees