20.28°C Vancouver

News

bc-residents-displaced-or-left-jobless-due-to-extreme-flooding-should-immediately-apply-for-employment-insurance-benefits-federal-govt
BCNov 22, 2021

BC residents displaced or left jobless due to extreme flooding should immediately apply for employment insurance benefits: Federal Govt.

The federal government says BC residents displaced or left jobless due to extreme flooding should immediately apply for employment insurance benefits. Federal employment Minister Carla Qualtrough says the federal government is waiving the requirement for applicants to show a record of employment, recognizing that it may be difficult for many to obtain the proper documentation right now. She says the government is looking at the possibility that people may have exhausted their EI due to receiving pandemic benefits. Qualtrough says the government will figure out a solution and Ottawa will help
b-c-s-fiscal-update-projects-deficit-dip-but-does-not-include-flood-mudslide-costs
BCNov 22, 2021

B.C.'s fiscal update projects deficit dip but does not include flood, mudslide costs

British Columbia's finance minister says the province's economy was on track toward a strong economic rebound in its latest financial results to the end of September, but uncertainties remain, especially stemming from the damage caused by recent floods and mudslides. Selina Robinson says the province will factor in the cleanup costs associated with the disastrous floods and mudslides that hit communities, highways and railways in February's budget. Solicitor General Mike Farnworth hasn't been able to provide an estimate on last week's damage other than to say it would be a huge cost for the p
b-c-officials-warn-of-storm-expected-to-hit-the-province
BCNov 22, 2021

B.C. officials warn of storm expected to hit the province

Environment Canada is warning that another rain storm is headed for British Columbia's North Coast.The national forecaster says a second atmospheric river will bring heavy rains to the province for a second weekend in a row.More than 100 millimeters of rain are expected for Haida Gwaii, with the storm then expected to move south to already hard-hit regions on Monday and Tuesday.Environment Canada says flooding and landslides could occur in northern B.C. as a result of the heavy rain.Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the government is keeping a close eye on areas that are dealing with
b-c-reports-468-new-cases-and-9-deaths
BCNov 19, 2021

B.C. reports 468 new cases and 9 deaths

B.C. is reporting 468 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 214,150 cases in the province.There are 3,345 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 208,284 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 355 individuals are currently in hospital and 110 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the last 24 hours, nine new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,290.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: fiveInterior Health: oneNorthern Health: twoIsland Health: oneFrom Nov. 10-16, peo
if-needed-thousands-of-canadian-armed-forces-personnel-are-on-standby-to-help-flood-ravaged-bc-anita-anand
BCNov 19, 2021

If needed thousands of Canadian Armed Forces personnel are on standby to help flood-ravaged BC: Anita Anand

Defence Minister Anita Anand says if needed thousands of Canadian Armed Forces personnel are on standby to help flood-ravaged BC. She says the military can provide both air and ground support if the province asks for that help, as well as officers who are expert in planning and logistics. She says soldiers are ready to help BC get through this crisis. Anand says the Canadian military is already supporting search and rescue efforts and has rescued more than 300 stranded motorists and nearly 30 family pets. Anand says in the 48 hours before a formal request for help, the Canadian military wa
bc-government-is-offering-aid-to-eligible-bc-residents-affected-by-recent-floods-or-landslides
BCNov 18, 2021

BC government is offering aid to eligible BC residents affected by recent floods or landslides

The BC government is offering aid to eligible BC residents whose homes, properties or businesses have been affected by recent floods or landslides. The Public Safety Ministry says disaster financial assistance is available for residents in the southwest, central and southeastern parts of the province. The ministry says homeowners, residential tenants, business owners, local governments, Indigenous communities, farmers and charitable organizations that could not get insurance to cover disaster-related losses can receive up to 80 per cent of eligible damage, to a maximum of 300,000 dollars. Cla
mayor-of-abbotsford-talking-with-washington-state-governor-flooding-in-area-at-least-partially-caused-by-swollen-rivers-in-the-us
BCNov 18, 2021

Mayor of Abbotsford talking with Washington state Governor; flooding in area at least partially caused by swollen rivers in the US

The mayor of Abbotsford, BC is talking with Washington state Governor Jay Inslee today as the two discuss severe flooding on the Canadian side of the border. The flooding was at least partially caused by swollen rivers in the US. Mayor Henry Braun says Inslee's office reached out to him as the Nooksak River in Washington state continues to send torrents of water into BC. Braun says he's not worried about the rain coming today, but he's concerned about the amount of precipitation expected early next week.
about-40-people-defying-an-evacuation-order-in-abbotsford
BCNov 18, 2021

About 40 people defying an evacuation order in Abbotsford

About 40 people are defying an evacuation order for the Sumas Prairie region of Abbotsford, BC. Police Chief Mike Serr (SEER) says water levels are fluctuating and it's still a potentially life-threatening situation. Not only that, he says people who won't leave are potentially putting the lives of first-responders in danger if they eventually do need rescuing. Abbotsford Mayor Henry Braun says there is an urgent need to repair broken dikes in the Fraser Valley because the forecast calls for another 80 to 100 millimetres of rain starting Tuesday.
first-group-of-canadian-armed-forces-personnel-arrives-in-b-c
BCNov 18, 2021

First group of Canadian Armed Forces personnel arrives in B.C.

The first group of Canadian Armed Forces personnel has arrived in British Columbia to assist with flooding and landslide rescues and recovery. A statement from the Canadian Joint Operations Command Centre says nine members from Edmonton's Third Canadian Division Immediate Response Unit are now in the province to plan and co-ordinate ongoing relief efforts. The statement says the exact size of the expected contingent isn't yet available but it says armed forces members have been ``identified and placed on high readiness to respond.'' A Hercules aircraft arrived in Edmonton last night and is st

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to