20.62°C Vancouver

News

b-c-residents-being-urged-to-prepare-for-extremely-cold-temperatures-and-power-outages
BCDec 22, 2021

B.C. residents being urged to prepare for extremely cold temperatures and power outages

British Columbia residents are being urged to prepare for extremely cold temperatures, power outages and slick streets as a series of winter storm and freezing rain warnings covered most of the province. The B.C. government released a statement saying strong storms would clash with cold Arctic air throughout the province between Tuesday and New Year's Day. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says it's important to carefully watch the forecast and look out for those who are most vulnerable, while Transportation Minister Rob Fleming discouraged travel that isn't necessary. The province says p
b-c-reports-1-308-new-covid-19-cases-as-active-cases-in-province-rise-past-6-000
BCDec 22, 2021

B.C. reports 1,308 new COVID-19 cases as active cases in province rise past 6,000

B.C. is reporting 1,308 new cases of COVID-19, including 10 new epi-linked cases, for a total of 229,643 cases in the province.There are 6,348 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 220,741 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 192 individuals are in hospital and 76 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the last 24 hours, one new death (Northern Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 2,403. There have been 756 cases of the Omicron variant of concern identified in B.C.:Fraser Health: 129Vancouver Coas
highway-3-between-hope-and-princeton-reopens-to-non-essential-travel
BCDec 21, 2021

Highway 3 between Hope and Princeton reopens to non-essential travel

Highway 3 between Hope and Princeton has re-opened to non-essential travel. The winding road through Manning Park had been restricted to commercial and essential travel since severe flooding or landslides tore up parts of highways 1 and 5 last month, but with the re-opening of the Coquihalla Highway yesterday, limits have been lifted between Princeton and Hope. Highway 99 between Pemberton and Lillooet is also open to non-essential travel but both routes, as well as the Coquihalla, Sea-to-Sky, parts of Highway 1 in eastern BC and the Malahat on Vancouver Island, could be walloped by severe wi
b-c-tightening-public-health-restrictions-amid-rising-cases-of-omicron-variant
BCDec 21, 2021

B.C. tightening public health restrictions amid rising cases of Omicron variant

British Columbia is tightening public health restrictions as it also introduces enhanced rapid testing and booster shot programs to fight the highly contagious COVID-19 Omicron variant. Starting at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, bars, nightclubs, gyms, fitness centres and dance studios will have to close, and all seated events will be reduced to 50 per cent capacity. Indoor gatherings including weddings are being cancelled. The health orders allow restaurants and cafes to stay open, but seating will be limited to a maximum of six people at a table, and physical distancing must be followed. The new
two-men-in-hospital-recovering-from-gunshot-wounds-after-shooting-in-west-kelowna
BCDec 21, 2021

Two men in hospital recovering from gunshot wounds after shooting in West Kelowna

RCMP in West Kelowna say two men are in hospital recovering from gunshot wounds. Few details have been released, but police say the two were attacked late yesterday afternoon in the parking lot of a West Kelowna hotel. Investigators believe the shootings were targeted, but haven't said if any suspects have been identified. The two men were rushed to hospital, prompting a roughly three-hour lockdown but normal operations at Kelowna General had resumed before 9 p.m. last night.
north-vancouver-rcmp-asking-can-you-identify-this-man
BCDec 21, 2021

North Vancouver RCMP asking can you identify this man?

North Vancouver RCMP is seeking public assistance in a suspicious person investigation.On November 18, at approximately 7:00 p.m. on a walking trail near Blueridge Elementary, an adult man approached a 14 year-old teenager and asked him to accompany him to help him find his dog. In a second incident the following afternoon, at approximately 4:00 p.m. on a walking trail near Seymour Heights Elementary, the same teenager reported being approached by the same man.The man is described as Caucasian, in his mid-30s, 5’7 tall, very skinny, with dark brown hair and hazel or brown eyes. Police are re
BCDec 21, 2021

Fast-moving Omicron variant prompts additional COVID-19 measures in BC, ministry

More health measures could be coming in British Columbia one day after restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19 took effect.Health Minister Adrian Dix, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry are set to provide another update this afternoon on COVID-19.The Ministry of Health has reported 2,550 new cases between Friday and Sunday, pushing the total number of active infections to 5,435 _ a leap of 2,486 cases in one week.The ministry says public health is monitoring the increase as well as developments in other areas, and will outline addi
b-c-reports-2-550-new-covid-19-cases-and-3-deaths
BCDec 21, 2021

B.C. reports 2,550 new COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 2,550 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 228,335 cases in the province:Dec. 17-18: 911 new casesDec. 18-19: 832 new casesDec. 19-20: 807 new casesThere are 5,435 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 220,348 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 185 individuals are in hospital and 77 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the last 72 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,402.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: oneNorthern Health: one
b-c-mounties-say-they-are-monitoring-protest-against-gas-pipeline
BCDec 21, 2021

B.C. Mounties say they are monitoring protest against gas pipeline

The RCMP say they are investigating allegations that protesters threatened security officials, set off flares and damaged vehicles at a drill site for the Coastal GasLink pipeline in northern British Columbia. The Mounties say in a statement released Monday that officers were called to the site along a forest service road near Houston on Sunday. They say anyone blocking worker access to the area is in breach of a court-ordered injunction. Opposition to the pipeline project among Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs sparked rallies and rail blockades across Canada last year. The elected council of t

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees