19.51°C Vancouver

News

b-c-provincial-data-shows-23-000-people-experienced-homelessness-in-2019
BCMar 17, 2022

B.C. provincial data shows 23,000 people experienced homelessness in 2019

British Columbia's housing minister says a new method for collecting data on homelessness is the first of its kind in Canada and will help the province tackle the issue. David Eby says the government used anonymized data from multiple ministry databases to paint a picture of homelessness across B.C. in 2019 that found trends like high per capita rates in northern rural communities and among men. The report shows that just over half of people experienced homelessness temporarily rather than on a chronic basis. Eby says the province previously relied on data from point-in-time counts in 25 comm
one-person-injured-in-targeted-shooting
BCMar 16, 2022

One person injured in targeted shooting

On March 16, 2022, at 3:17 a.m., Surrey RCMP responded to the report of shots fired at a residence in the 11200-block of Lansdowne Drive. Police attended and located evidence consistent with a shooting. A 17-year-old youth who is known to police suffered non-life threatening injuries. They were transported to hospital and have since been released. The Surrey RCMP General Investigation Unit has taken conduct of the investigation. The investigation is in the early stages, but all indications are that it was targeted. The shooting does not appear to be linked to the Lower Mainland gang conflict."
porch-theft-led-to-the-arrest-of-three-youths-surrey-rcmp
BCMar 16, 2022

Porch theft led to the arrest of three youths: Surrey RCMP

Surrey RCMP is informing the public that three youths who allegedly stole a parcel from a porch were identified, arrested and referred to extrajudicial measures. On March 4, 2022, Surrey RCMP received a report of a theft of package from a residence located in 8600-block of 156 Street. Police attended and learned that a package containing items such as designer jackets, shoes, sunglasses and t-shirts was stolen.Surrey RCMP Frontline officer’s investigation led to the arrest of 3 youths, who have since been released from custody. The majority of the items stolen have been returned to their rig
no-relief-in-sight-from-climbing-prices-in-canada-as-inflation-rate-hits-30-year-high
BCMar 16, 2022

No relief in sight from climbing prices in Canada as inflation rate hits 30 year high

There's no relief in sight from climbing prices across the country as Statistics Canada says the annual inflation rate hit 5.7 per cent last month, the highest in more than 30 years, and the second straight month above five per cent. Economists say gas prices, grocery costs and housing expenses all contributed to the leap from January's setting of 5.1 per cent. In BC, inflation jumped four-tenths of a point to 4.7 per cent, tying this province and Saskatchewan for the lowest cost of living increase in Canada, but rates are still up sharply in most areas. Victoria saw its rate soar seven basis
b-c-reports-237-new-covid-19-cases-as-hospitalizations-continue-to-decrease
BCMar 16, 2022

B.C. reports 237 new COVID-19 cases as hospitalizations continue to decrease

B.C. is reporting 237 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 352,965 cases in the province.Note: The numbers of new and total cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh.The new cases include:Fraser Health: 70Vancouver Coastal Health: 40Interior Health: 69Northern Health: 24Island Health: 34People who reside outside of Canada: zeroThere are 345 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 50 are in intensive care.In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,946.There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreaks at Mission Creek Landin
nooksack-river-source-of-b-c-and-washington-flooding-fears-to-get-new-plan
BCMar 16, 2022

Nooksack River, source of B.C. and Washington flooding fears, to get new plan

Leaders from Washington state and British Columbia say they have reached an agreement to work together on redeveloping a flooding prevention plan and response for the Nooksack River. Flooding in southern B.C. and northern Washington in November displaced an estimated 500 people south of the border and about 14,000 were forced to flee their homes on the Canadian side. Rising water levels in the Nooksack contributed to flooding on the Sumas Prairie in Abbotsford and resulted in billions of dollars of damage to the province's agriculture industry. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee says in a release tha
two-teenage-sisters-attacked-at-home-in-nanaimo
BCMar 15, 2022

Two teenage sisters attacked at home in Nanaimo

Two teenage sisters in Nanaimo are recovering after a man broke into their home, released a blast of bear spray and then stole several electronics when the sisters ran from the house. RCMP say it happened yesterday at around 3 pm, and even though police were on scene within minutes, the suspect could not be found. Constable Gary O'Brien says the man, in camouflage clothing and wearing a balaclava that covered most of his face, likely entered through an unlocked door and used a hockey bag found the house to carry the stolen items. Gary O'Brien says the sisters were treated at the scene for lin
students-at-a-terrace-private-school-mourning-the-loss-of-two-classmates-killed-along-with-their-mother
BCMar 15, 2022

Students at a Terrace private school mourning the loss of two classmates killed along with their mother

Students at a Terrace private school are mourning the loss of two classmates killed along with their mother in a head-on crash as they drove to school last week. Centennial Christian School says in a Facebook post that the entire community is grieving the loss of Grade 6 student Ashton Hesketh, his sister, Kylie, who was in Grade four, and their mother, Elizabeth. The post says students and staff are receiving the help and support they need in classrooms and with counsellors, while thoughts and prayers go to the victims' father and husband, Dan Hesketh. Kitimat RCMP have confirmed three peopl
surrey-rcmp-asking-for-help-to-identify-these-robbery-suspects
BCMar 15, 2022

Surrey RCMP asking for help to identify these robbery suspects

Surrey RCMP is seeking the public’s assistance with identifying two men who robbed a bank in Fleetwood.On March 9, 2022 at 4:38 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a report of a robbery at a financial institution in the 15900-block of Fraser Highway. It was reported that two men threatened bank staff with a suspected firearm and demanded money.Surrey RCMP Frontline officers arrived on scene within minutes; however, both suspects had fled the area. Fortunately, no one was physically injured in the bank. The two suspects were able to get away with a substantial amount of cash.The suspect with the alleg

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees