22.45°C Vancouver

Nov 25, 2021 1:39 AM - The Canadian Press

British Columbia remains in ``uncharted territory'' with several destructive storms set to sweep over already flooded areas of the province: Mike Farnworth

Share On
british-columbia-remains-in-uncharted-territory-with-several-destructive-storms-set-to-sweep-over-already-flooded-areas-of-the-province-mike-farnworth
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says British Columbia remains in ``uncharted territory'' with several destructive storms set to sweep over areas of the province already struggling to recover from devastating flooding. (Photo - BC Transportation/Twitter)

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says British Columbia remains in ``uncharted territory'' with several destructive storms set to sweep over areas of the province already struggling to recover from devastating flooding.

Wind and rainfall warnings blanketed most of the B.C. coast Wednesday and they come after about a dozen so-called atmospheric rivers have saturated land in the province since September.

Farnworth says that even routine rainfall may cause already-swollen rivers to rise to dangerous heights and he urged residents to prepare for evacuations and watch for updates.

However, he says the government is also making headway on recovery since last week's floods, with supply chains stabilizing, gas shortages starting to ease and some evacuees allowed to return to their homes.

Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the government is prepared to close some roads as a precaution as modellers try to predict where and when flooding and mudslides might occur.

Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley is on track to reopen Thursday, while there is no timeline for others, such as Highway 8.

Latest news

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic

Related News