21.73°C Vancouver

News

two-residences-shot-over-night-in-surrey
BCAug 09, 2022

Two residences shot over night in Surrey

Surrey RCMP is seeking information following two shootings overnight and requesting anyone with CCTV or dash camera video from the areas to contact police. On August 9, 2022 just after midnight, Surrey RCMP received a report of shots heard and a vehicle speeding away in the 14800-block of 76A Avenue. Officers attended the area, conducted patrols and located a residence with bullet holes. Approximately 20 minutes after the initial report of shots fired, police received a second report of a shooting in the 9200-block of 163 Street. Similar to the first incident, responding officers located a re
williams-lake-rcmp-officers-are-investigating-after-responding-to-a-fatal-incident-involving-an-atv-which-claimed-the-life-of-a-17-year-old
BCAug 09, 2022

Williams Lake RCMP officers are investigating after responding to a fatal incident involving an ATV which claimed the life of a 17 year old

Williams Lake RCMP officers are investigating after responding to a fatal incident involving an ATV which claimed the life of a 17-year-old youth. Just after midnight on August 7, 2022, Williams Lake RCMP attended to the gravel area at the end of Gun a Noot trail after being requested to assist with a ATV rollover. Officers attended the scene where paramedics and fire rescue personnel were providing medical assistance.The youth was transported to hospital where she unfortunately succumbed to her injuries.Initial evidence gathered at the scene showed that the youth was not wearing a helmet.Will
man-faces-three-charges-including-aggravated-assault-after-vancouver-machete-attack
BCAug 09, 2022

Man faces three charges, including aggravated assault, after Vancouver machete attack

A man has been charged criminally following Saturday’s machete attack on four victims inside a Granville Street rooming house.Four people were attacked and stabbed inside the rooming house near Granville and Smithe streets. When VPD officers arrived at the scene, they were confronted by the suspect who was still armed with the weapon. Shots were then fired by police and the suspect was injured.The four victims and suspect were taken to hospital for serious, life-altering injuries.Ibrahim Abdela Bakhit, 48, has been charged with one count each of aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, and
two-dead-in-abbotsford-b-c-after-police-chase-alleged-stolen-vehicle
BCAug 08, 2022

Two dead in Abbotsford, B.C. after police chase alleged stolen vehicle

Abbotsford police say two people are dead following a police chase Sunday afternoon involving an alleged stolen vehicle. Police say the car was first spotted at about 3 p.m. and then again in a different area just after 4 p.m.They say they knew based on recent information that the vehicle had been involved in a recent violent crime in another jurisdiction and authorized a police pursuit.The service says the vehicle being pursued lost control and crashed.Officers say no civilians or civilian cars were involved in the collision.The female passenger of the vehicle died at the scene, while the mal
no-damage-reported-or-expected-after-4-6-magnitude-quake
BCAug 08, 2022

No damage reported or expected after 4.6 magnitude quake

A minor offshore earthquake has been recorded off the coast of Vancouver Island. Earthquakes Canada said the 4.6 magnitude quake took place Monday just after 12:30 a.m. PDT. It was recorded at a depth of 10 kilometres. There are no reports of the quake being felt on land. Earthquakes Canada said the epicentre was 142 kilometres south southwest of Port Alice, or about 348 kilometres west of Victoria. The agency said there are no reports of damage or injuries, and no expectation of a tsunami.
vancouver-non-partisan-association-mayoral-candidate-john-coupar-quits-as-vote-looms
BCAug 06, 2022

Vancouver Non-Partisan Association mayoral candidate John Coupar quits as vote looms

Vancouver's Non-Partisan Association, a key part of the civic political landscape in the city, has parted ways with its high profile mayoral candidate just months before municipal elections. John Coupar, a three-term park board commissioner who was making his first bid for the mayor's chair, says in a statement that he resigned yesterday as the NPA candidate, although he didn't give reasons. A statement from the party thanks Coupar for his 11 years of ``tireless dedication,'' and wishes him well, but also does not offer a reason for the split. Coupar's appointment in April prompted three sitt
evacuation-orders-alerts-expanded-near-wildfire-burning-in-b-c-s-south-okanagan
BCAug 06, 2022

Evacuation orders, alerts expanded near wildfire burning in B.C.'s south Okanagan

The BC Wildfire Service says almost 400 firefighters are now assigned to the blaze burning southwest of Penticton in the southern Okangaan. A flare-up yesterday forced the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen to order the entire community of Olalla to evacuate, affecting about 400 people, while the Village of Keremeos and surrounding areas are on evacuation alert. Highway 3A which runs through Olalla and connects Keremeos to Kaleden is also closed until further notice. Hundreds more homes are also on evacuation order or alert due to the blaze which was sparked last Friday and now covers
ravi-kahlons-statement-on-julys-labour-force-survey-results
BCAug 06, 2022

Ravi Kahlon's statement on July’s Labour Force Survey results

BC Jobs Minister Ravi Kahlon says BC added just under 15-thousand full-time jobs in July as the provincial unemployment rate was set at 4.7 per cent, up one-tenth of a point from June. A statement from the ministry says more people joined the workforce in BC last month than in any other major province, while more new residents moved to BC in the first quarter of 2022 than at any time in over 60 years. Kahlon says the numbers mean BC continues to lead Canada's economic recovery. Statistics Canada says the jobless rate in Kelowna was four per cent in July, unchanged from June, while Vancouver's
BCAug 05, 2022

NWPD officers assist integrated emergency response team deployed to barricaded suspect on agnes street

On August 3rd at approximately 2:00 pm, the New Westminster Police Department responded an domestic incident near 20th Street and 6th Avenue. The suspect was identified and later located at a residence in the 300 block of Agnes Street. The suspect would not acknowledge police and patrol members attempted to negotiate the surrender of the suspect. Due to the suspect refusing to exit the apartment, the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team was deployed to assist with the arrest. The suspect was located inside the residence at approximately 7:00 pm and was taken into custody without inc

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to