19.18°C Vancouver

News

vpd-arrests-suspect-in-sexual-assaults
BCOct 13, 2022

VPD arrests suspect in sexual assaults

A joint VPD and Metro Vancouver Transit Police investigation has led to the arrest of Bryce Michael Flores-Bebington for two alleged sexual assaults. At 7:30 p.m. on July 6, a 24-year-old woman reported she had been sexually assaulted while on the escalator at the Granville SkyTrain Station by a suspect who ran away. The investigation was completed by Metro Vancouver Transit Police.A second incident occurred the following day on West Broadway at Ash Street. Just before 2 p.m. a 38-year-old woman was sexually assaulted.Bryce Michael Flores-Bebington, 19, has been charged with two counts of sexu
vpd-searches-for-man-who-sucker-punched-a-woman
BCOct 13, 2022

VPD searches for man who sucker-punched a woman

Vancouver Police are searching for a suspect after a woman was assaulted last night in another downtown stranger attack. "This is another concerning unprovoked assault," says Constable Jason Doucette. "The victim was simply walking down the sidewalk when a man came up and sucker-punched her in the face for no reason."At 6:30 Wednesday evening, the 29-year-old woman was walking near Cambie and Pender streets when a man approached and suddenly lashed out. He punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground. The suspect was last seen running west on Dunsmuir Street."A number of people came to
multiple-charges-laid-in-relation-to-alleged-series-of-druggings
BCOct 13, 2022

Multiple charges laid in relation to alleged series of druggings

Surrey RCMP is advising the public that multiple charges, including a manslaughter charge, have been laid in relation to an ongoing investigation. In September 2021, Surrey RCMP initiated an investigation after officers in the Community Response Unit linked multiple reports of men being drugged and having their belongings stolen while utilizing an escort service. In one of the incidents in February 2021, a man died, allegedly after being administered a substance during an encounter.The Surrey RCMP Serious Crime Unit took conduct of the investigation, which was multijurisdictional and complex d
premier-horgan-believes-alberta-premiers-comments-on-the-discrimination-faced-by-those-who-did-not-get-vaccinated-against-covid-19-are-laughable
BCOct 12, 2022

Premier Horgan believes Alberta Premier's comments on the discrimination faced by those who did not get vaccinated against COVID-19 are laughable

Premier John Horgan says he believes his Alberta counterpart's comments on the discrimination faced by those who did not get vaccinated against COVID-19 are short-sighted as well as laughable. Horgan says Danielle Smith chose to focus on a sliver of the population when she said yesterday that unvaccinated people have experienced the most discrimination she has ever seen in her lifetime. But he says he believes most Canadians understood that they had a collective responsibility to get their shots. He also told C-FAX radio in Victoria that it was the wrong move when the world is going through a
deaths-of-homeless-people-in-b-c-rose-by-75-in-2021-coroner
BCOct 12, 2022

Deaths of homeless people in B.C. rose by 75% in 2021: coroner

The BC Coroners Service says preliminary figures show deaths among the province's homeless population climbed dramatically last year, compared with 2021. A statement from the coroners office says 247 deaths were recorded among people experiencing homelessness last year, a 75 per cent leap over 2020. Coroner Lisa Lapointe says the findings highlight the risks that the homeless face every day, including physical and mental health concerns, disabilities and substance use issues. The report shows an average of 153 deaths were reported annually among the homeless between 2016 and 2020 and deaths f
recall-against-b-c-legislative-member-fails-with-missed-deadline-elections-bc
BCOct 12, 2022

Recall against B.C. legislative member fails with missed deadline: Elections BC

The British Columbia recall petition launched against Harwinder Sandhu, the member of the legislature for Vernon-Monashee, was a failure. Elections BC says in a statement the recall petition was not submitted by the Oct. 11 deadline under the Recall and Initiative Act. Genevieve Ring was issued the petition and 28 voters registered as canvassers to collect signatures. Elections BC says that despite the failure, the recall proponent must return the petition sheets to Elections BC, although signature counts won't be released or verified. Both Ring and the Sandhu must file financial disclosure r
police-release-photos-in-coquitlam-taxi-driver-assault
BCOct 12, 2022

Police release photos in Coquitlam taxi driver assault

Coquitlam RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance with identifying the suspect of an assault on a taxi driver that occurred August 22, 2022. Coquitlam Front-line officers attended the area of Sunnyside Road and East Road in Anmore after a male suspect assaulted a taxi driver with a beer bottle. The male suspect hit the glass partition inside the taxi causing the glass to shattered. The taxi driver suffered minor injuries to his hand. The suspect can be described as: -Caucasian male-5’7 - 5’10 tall-Medium build-30 - 35 years old-Beard The male suspect was seen wearing: -White t-shirt-B
BCOct 12, 2022

Teen stabbed multiple times in fight over vape pen

Two Vancouver teens were hospitalized last night following a violent encounter on the city’s west side, which Vancouver Police believe started when one youth accused the other of stealing a vape pen. One teen suffered multiple stab wounds and required surgery. Several witnesses reported seeing two people fighting near a bus stop at Dunbar and West 41st Avenue around 8:30 p.m. When VPD officers responded, they located a 17-year-old suffering from a number of life-threatening wounds. The victim was bleeding profusely, and a VPD officer applied pressure to the wounds to stem the bleeding. The
vpd-investigate-gun-fire-in-downtown-eastside
BCOct 11, 2022

VPD investigate gun fire in Downtown Eastside

Vancouver Police are investigating after shots were fired and bear spray was deployed in the Downtown Eastside this morning. "Officers were at the scene within minutes but were not able to find a victim," says Constable Jason Doucette. "This is a heavily populated area and we are concerned someone may have been hit. We encourage anyone who may have been injured to seek medical help, and to report the incident to police."Just before 11:00 this morning, the VPD received 9-1-1 calls reporting a man standing at East Hastings and Columbia Street had just fired a gun, then ran out of the area. The w

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees