21.54°C Vancouver

News

canada-to-introduce-new-forced-labour-import-ban-amid-u-s-tariff-warning
BCJun 12, 2026

Surrey man charged after two alleged bank robberies

A Surrey man is facing robbery charges following two alleged bank robberies reported in the city earlier this month, according to Surrey Police Service. Police said officers responded to a reported robbery near 104 Avenue and King George Boulevard on June 6 at about 10:50 a.m. Investigators allege a man threatened bank staff by claiming he had a weapon before leaving with money. No injuries were reported and the suspect was not located at the time. A second reported robbery occurred on June 8 at about 11 a.m. near 128 Street and 96 Avenue. According to Surrey Police Service, a man again allege
teens-body-recovered-from-b-c-lake-after-weekend-boat-capsize
BCJun 10, 2026

Teen's body recovered from B.C. lake after weekend boat capsize

A 17-year-old boy from Prince George has been found dead after a boat capsized on Stony Lake near Quesnel over the weekend, according to RCMP. Quesnel RCMP said the youth's body was recovered by divers on Tuesday, three days after the incident was reported. Police said officers were called to the lake on Saturday following reports that a vessel carrying four people had overturned. Three occupants were able to reach shore safely. According to RCMP, the 17-year-old operator of the boat did not resurface after the capsize and could not be located at the time of the incident. No further details ab
BCJun 10, 2026

Former Surrey mayor calls for independent investigation into SPS chief’s dismissal

Former Surrey mayor Doug McCallum is calling for an independent police investigation into the dismissal of Surrey Police Service Chief Norm Lipinski and the resignations of two Surrey Police Board directors. McCallum said no one is above the law, including councillors and mayors, and argued that if any rules were broken, those responsible should face appropriate legal consequences. He also said the investigation should not be conducted by the RCMP, citing concerns about perceived conflicts because current Surrey Police Board chair Rob Stutt is a former RCMP member. According to public statemen
BCJun 10, 2026

Daylight Shooting Between Vehicles in Surrey Damages Two Homes

A daytime shooting between two moving vehicles in Surrey has prompted an investigation by the Surrey Police Service's Major Crime Section. While no injuries were reported, two homes in the area were damaged by gunfire. According to SPS Media Relations Officer Sgt. Ali Gales, the incident occurred around 10:45 a.m. Tuesday near 66 Avenue and 129 Street in South Newton. Police say an occupant of one vehicle fired shots at a person in another vehicle before both vehicles fled the scene. Investigators believe the shooting was targeted, based on preliminary findings. However, police have stated tha
mission-rcmp-investigate-alleged-online-drug-sales-to-youth-three-arrested-in-abbotsford
BCJun 09, 2026

Mission RCMP investigate alleged online drug sales to youth; three arrested in Abbotsford

Mission RCMP say three people have been arrested following an investigation into an online drug delivery operation that allegedly sold cannabis and psilocybin products to minors in the Mission area. According to Mission RCMP, the investigation began earlier this year after a 16-year-old and their parent reported that the teenager had purchased psilocybin and cannabis through a website offering same-day delivery in Mission. Police said a second parent later reported that their teenager had purchased psilocybin gummies marketed with candy-themed branding through the same website. The allegations
teen-missing-presumed-drowned-after-boat-capsizes-near-quesnel
BCJun 09, 2026

Teen missing, presumed drowned after boat capsizes near Quesnel

A 17-year-old from Prince George is presumed drowned after a boat carrying four people capsized on Stony Lake in British Columbia's central Interior, according to RCMP. Quesnel RCMP said three people aboard the vessel were able to reach shore safely after the incident. However, the boat's operator did not resurface and remains missing. Police identified the missing person as a 17-year-old male from Prince George. His family has been notified, RCMP said. Search efforts remained underway Tuesday. According to police, an underwater recovery team was expected to arrive at the lake to assist in the
german-energy-firm-signals-interest-in-lng-supply-from-proposed-ksi-lisims-project
BCJun 08, 2026

German Energy Firm Signals Interest in LNG Supply from Proposed Ksi Lisims Project

A second German energy company has expressed interest in purchasing liquefied natural gas from the proposed Ksi Lisims LNG project on British Columbia’s North Coast. Project partners announced they have signed a memorandum of understanding with Germany-based Uniper that could see the company purchase up to two million tonnes of LNG annually beginning in 2032. The agreement is non-binding and remains subject to further negotiations and project development. The announcement follows a separate deal reached last month between Ksi Lisims LNG and German energy company SEFE. Under that agreement, S
vancouver-police-seize-drugs-cash-and-weapons-in-downtown-eastside-trafficking-investigation
BCJun 05, 2026

Vancouver police seize drugs, cash and weapons in Downtown Eastside trafficking investigation

Vancouver Police say officers seized more than $79,000 worth of illegal drugs, cash and weapons following a targeted drug trafficking investigation in the city's Downtown Eastside. According to a Vancouver Police Department release, the operation, known as Project Bingo, began in December 2025 after investigators observed suspected drug trafficking activity at a single-room occupancy (SRO) building near East Hastings Street and Princess Avenue. Police said investigators spent approximately six months gathering evidence before executing a search warrant at the building last month. Officers repo
no-injuries-reported-after-shots-fired-from-moving-vehicle-at-nanaimo-park
BCJun 05, 2026

No injuries reported after shots fired from moving vehicle at Nanaimo park

Nanaimo RCMP are investigating after shots were reportedly fired from a moving vehicle toward people gathered at a local park on Wednesday evening. According to police, the incident occurred at about 8:40 p.m. at Knowles Park near the intersection of Old Victoria Road and Rainier Street. Witnesses reported that the suspects were travelling in a white Audi vehicle carrying multiple occupants. Police said the vehicle left the area immediately after the shooting. No injuries were reported. Investigators believe the shooting was targeted and not a random attack on members of the public. RCMP have

Just In

cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre invites Iran’s exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has invited Iran’s former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada and said he plans to meet with him virtually to discuss democracy and the safety of the Iranian diaspora. Speaking at a Persian Town Hall in British Columbia on Aug. 15, Poilievre said Canadians and foreign governments should not decide who leads Iran, but stressed that the country should ultimately be free and democratic and governed by the Iranian people. Pahlavi, 65, is the son of Iran’s former Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, whose rule ended with the 1979 Islamic Revolution. He now liv
carney-urges-premiers-to-lift-ban-on-u-s-alcohol
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney Urges Premiers to Lift Ban on U.S. Alcohol

Prime Minister Mark Carney has urged Canada’s provincial premiers to remove restrictions on U.S. alcohol as Ottawa works to finalize an interim trade agreement with the United States. Trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. are continuing after President Donald Trump delayed the implementation of a proposed 50 per cent tariff until Friday. Washington has repeatedly raised concerns over Canada’s restrictions on American alcohol products. Because provincial governments control the sale and distribution of alcohol in Canada, Carney held a virtual meeting with the premiers on Wednesday
canada-could-get-tariff-relief-on-steel-aluminum-and-automobiles
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada Could Get Tariff Relief on Steel, Aluminum and Automobiles

Canada could receive some tariff relief on steel, aluminum and automobiles under a new trade deal with the United States that is reportedly nearing completion. According to reports, Washington could reduce the current 50% tariff on some Canadian steel and aluminum exports to 25% as part of the agreement. However, the details have not yet been finalized, and the new rates are not expected to apply equally to all products. Different tariffs could be imposed on certain steel- and aluminum-derived products. Meanwhile, the top-line tariff on automobiles could reportedly be reduced from 25% to 15%.