21.36°C Vancouver

News

help-identify-a-suspect-in-a-groping-incident-surrey-rcmp
BCJan 25, 2023

Help identify a suspect in a groping incident: Surrey RCMP

Surrey RCMP is informing the public of a sexual assault by an unknown person that occurred in the Whalley area, and police are seeking the public’s help to identify the suspect. On January 23, 2023 at 10:53 a.m., Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a female who had been groped by an unknown suspect near King George Blvd. and 102 Avenue. Police conducted extensive CCTV canvass in the area and have obtained an image of the suspect. (See attached photo). While the image is not of great quality, police are releasing it in hopes that someone may recognize him based on the clothing and bag. The
const-nicole-chan-may-have-had-suicide-attempts-prior-to-2019-death-vpd-sergeant
BCJan 25, 2023

Const. Nicole Chan may have had suicide attempts prior to 2019 death: VPD sergeant

Vancouver Police Department human resources officer told a coroner's inquest that Const. Nicole Chan had a history of mental health issues and potential suicide attempts before inappropriate relationships she had with two senior officers. Sgt. Cindy Vance, who put together a timeline of Chan's HR complaints, says that during her hiring process, Chan disclosed that she had consumed 30 to 40 Tylenol in 2006, when she was 17 years old. Vance also testified about a 2012 car crash in Port Moody, B.C., that ``triggered a concern that Ms. Chan might be suicidal,'' resulting in her being arrested and
BCJan 24, 2023

Police investigating fatal stabbing in Nanaimo

At approximately 7 PM on Sunday January 22,2023, Police, Fire and EHS responded to a report of an individual who walked into the Port Place Mall with an apparent stab wound. The incident occurred in the parking lot of the Port Place Mall, in the vicinity of London Drugs. The injured person received emergency first aid at the scene from bystanders and emergency first responders. The victim was transported to the Nanaimo hospital where he was later pronounced deceased. A short time later, an adult male was arrested in connection to the stabbing and taken into police custody. An area of the Mall
coroners-inquest-hears-nicole-chan-suffered-from-mental-health-problems-believed-to-have-stemmed-from-a-sexual-assault-and-extortion
BCJan 24, 2023

Coroner's inquest hears Nicole Chan suffered from mental health problems believed to have stemmed from a sexual assault and extortion

A coroner's inquest into the suicide of a Vancouver police officer in 2019 has been told Nicole Chan suffered from mental health problems believed to have stemmed from a sexual assault and extortion by another officer. Jennifer Chan told the inquest today that she thought her sister was being blackmailed by an officer in Human Resources. Chan also testified that her sister struggled with anxiety and depression after she complained to the police chief in 2017 about inappropriate relationships that she had with two senior officers. Nicole Chan was on stress leave when she committed suicide and
new-westminster-police-department-officers-appeal-for-witnesses-to-come-forward-following-stabbing
BCJan 24, 2023

New Westminster police department officers appeal for witnesses to come forward following stabbing

On Saturday January 21st at approximately 1:15 pm, New Westminster Police Department officers received a call from someone who had found a man with numerous stab wounds. Officers rushed to the scene and located a man inside a bus with several stab wounds needing immediate medical aid. Officers provided aid, including the use of a tourniquet, until BC Ambulance Service arrived to transport the man to nearby hospital. Officers learned that the victim was stabbed and robbed near the parkade at the Shops at New West. The victim fled from the suspect to seek refuge inside a bus. The suspect is desc
new-westminster-witnesses-asked-to-come-forward-after-attempted-robbery-and-assault-near-new-west-skytrain-station
BCJan 24, 2023

New Westminster: Witnesses asked to come forward after attempted robbery and assault near new west skytrain station

The New Westminster Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward after an attempted robbery and assault near the New West SkyTrain Station. On January 17th at approximately 5:50 pm the New Westminster Police Department officers were called to the 800 block of Carnarvon Street to assist a man in distress who was pouring milk on his face inside a grocery store. Officers learned that the man was the victim of an assault and moments earlier he had been assaulted with bear spray in an attempted robbery. The suspect approached this man outside a restaurant and asked him for his jacket before s
coquitlam-rcmp-two-men-wanted-in-new-years-day-assault
BCJan 21, 2023

Coquitlam RCMP: Two men wanted in New Year’s Day assault

Coquitlam RCMP is appealing to the public for assistance in locating the two Coquitlam men involved in an assault that has left a 29-year-old man with serious injuries. Coquitlam RCMP Front-line officers attended the area of Glen Drive and Johnston Street in Coquitlam for an assault on Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 2:47 a.m. The victim was changing a tire when he was attacked by two men. The men fled prior to Police attendance. The victim sustained serious, non-life-threatening injuries to his head. The victim was transported to hospital and has since been released. Coquitlam RCMP Investigationa
burnaby-rcmp-missing-person-to-locate-zenaeh-edwards-helgason
BCJan 21, 2023

Burnaby RCMP: Missing person to locate, Zenaeh Edwards-Helgason

Burnaby RCMP is seeking assistance from the public in locating missing 17-year-old Zenaeh Edwards-Helgason. Edwards-Helgason was reported missing to Saanich Police on December 19, 2022. It is believed she has been spotted in various locations in the Lower Mainland since she was reported missing, with the most recent possible sighting happening in Burnaby on Thursday, January 19, 2023. Edwards-Helgason is described as:•Average build•Black hair•5’6 tallBurnaby RCMP is assisting Saanich Police with the investigation.Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Zenaeh Edwards-Helgason in
sophisticated-identification-forgery-lab-located-and-dismantled-in-richmond-residence
BCJan 20, 2023

Sophisticated identification forgery lab located and dismantled in Richmond residence

Richmond RCMP Organized Crime Unit execute a search warrant on an alleged sophisticated identification forgery lab in a residence in Richmond. On December 22, 2022, Richmond RCMP Economic Crime Unit (ECU) and Drug Target Team executed a search warrant at a residence of a suspected forgery lab. Upon entering, officers discovered evidence consistent with a sophisticated forged identification lab.Items seized during the search included:High end printers and laminators including those capable of forging security features in governmental identification;Thousands of blank identification cards;Numer

Just In

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic