18.26°C Vancouver

News

removal-of-bc-mla-adam-walker-from-ndp-caucus-unrelated-to-police-harassment-eby
BCSep 18, 2023

Removal of BC MLA Adam Walker from NDP caucus unrelated to police, harassment: Eby

British Columbia Premier David Eby says a complaint by an employee in late July led to the removal of MLA Adam Walker from the New Democrat caucus, but the issue doesn't involve police or sexual harassment.Speaking to reporters for the first time since Walker was kicked out over the weekend, Eby says he decided the member could no longer be part of the group after a formal investigation by NDP caucus.Eby says he wishes he could share more but rules related to human resources and privacy prevent him going into specifics about the accusations, which are not a criminal matter.The premier says he
punjabi-youth-shot-dead-in-burnaby
BCSep 18, 2023

Punjabi youth shot dead in Burnaby

The RCMP Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has identified the victim of a fatal shooting in Burnaby, B.C., in the hopes of advancing its investigation. Burnaby RCMP say they were called to the North Road and Cameron Street area just after 5 p.m. Saturday for reports of gunshots and arrived to find the body of a man in a parkade. About 15 minutes later, officers were called to a vehicle fire several blocks away in the Bainbridge Avenue and Greenwood Street area. IHIT is now identifying the victim as 29-year old Gagandeep Sandhu of Abbotsford, B.C. They say initial evidence suggests this wa
83-year-old-man-charged-arrested-in-double-murder-case-in-b-c
BCSep 15, 2023

83-year-old man charged & arrested in double murder case in B.C.

Homicide detectives have identified two people found dead in a home in rural Chilliwack, B.C., on Wednesday and say an elderly suspect has been charged.The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 58-year-old John Kavaloff and 67-year-old Valerie Smith were found in the home as officers responded to reports of gunfire.Police say 83-year-old Robert Freeman was nearby and was taken into custody a short time later.Court documents show he made a first appearance before a judge late Thursday and is due to return to provincial court in Chilliwack on Sept. 25.Homicide team spokesman Sgt. Timothy P
b-c-sikh-referendum-will-ask-if-indian-diplomat-was-responsible-for-nijjar-killing
BCSep 15, 2023

B.C. Sikh referendum will ask if Indian diplomat was responsible for Nijjar killing

Organizers of an unofficial worldwide referendum on Punjabi independence have added a question to the ballot in British Columbia asking if India's high commissioner was responsible for the killing of a prominent provincial Sikh leader in June.The group Sikhs for Justice, which has been staging a series of non-binding votes in several countries on the independence issue, says the first stage of balloting in B.C. on Sunday attracted more than 135,000 voters.It says the second stage will be held on Oct. 29 and will add a second question about whether High Commissioner Sanjay Verma was responsible
youth-arrested-for-bear-spray-attack-on-sikh-teen-in-kelowna-b-c-rcmp
BCSep 14, 2023

Youth arrested for bear-spray attack on Sikh teen in Kelowna, B.C.: RCMP

RCMP say they've arrested a youth after a bear-spray attack on a Sikh teenager who was riding a bus in Kelowna, B.C.Corp. Michael Gauthier with Kelowna RCMP says in a statement that video shows the suspect assaulting and spraying the victim during an attack that took place both on and off a B.C. Transit bus on Monday.Gauthier says the suspect remains in custody and is scheduled to appear in court Thursday for a bail hearing.In a previous statement, the Kelowna detachment said the 17-year-old Sikh student had been attacked by another teenage male and the motive was unknown.The World Sikh Organi
b-c-bans-drug-use-near-playgrounds-spray-pools-skate-parks
BCSep 14, 2023

B.C. bans drug use near playgrounds, spray pools, skate parks

British Columbia has banned the use of illegal drugs on playgrounds, spray pools, wading pools and skate parks.The British Columbia government says it has received approval from Health Canada to ban the possession and use of illegal drugs in certain public places where families and children gather.In a statement on Thursday, the Ministry of Mental Health and Addiction said that the ban will come into effect from September 18.It shall be illegal to possess drugs within 15 meters of a playground, wading pool or skate park.Police will be able to enforce the B.C. Controlled Drugs and Substances Ac
sikh-student-attacked-while-going-home-from-school-in-bc-transit
BCSep 14, 2023

Sikh student attacked while going home from school in BC Transit

A case of assault on a 17-year-old Sikh student has come to light in Kelowna on Monday.The incident occurred when the student was pepper-sprayed while returning home from school on a BC Transit bus.The attack is said to have happened at a bus stop at the intersection of Rutland Road and Robson Road in Okanagan City around 4 p.m.Police said that the student was attacked by another teenager after an argument in the bus.The teenage suspect has been identified.The World Sikh Organization of Canada has issued a statement condemning the attack.The organization said the victim had just arrived in Can
surrey-to-get-second-hospital-cancer-centre-at-cost-of-2-88-billion
BCSep 12, 2023

Surrey to get second hospital, cancer centre at cost of $2.88 billion

A new hospital and cancer center has been announced in Surrey.Premier David Eby and Health Minister Adrian Dix made the announcement on Tuesday morning while laying the foundation stone.The new hospital will be built on 176th Street in the Cloverdale area near the Kwantlen Polytechnic University campus.Eby said this second hospital in Surrey will not only improve the health of people living in the region but will also change many lives.He said that people living in Surrey have been asking for this hospital for a long time and although the new hospital will be ready in 2029 at a cost of $2.88 b
vancouver-stabbing-premier-david-eb-upset-over-release-of-accused-from-hospital
BCSep 12, 2023

Vancouver stabbing: Premier David EB upset over release of accused from hospital

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he is "white hot" angry over the day release of a man from a forensic psychiatric hospital before he was arrested for a triple stabbing in Vancouver's Chinatown.Eby says the decision to release this man is beyond his comprehension.He wants to get to the bottom of how this all happened.Eby calls the violence "horrific".He says Blair Evan Donnelly stabbed his daughter in 2006, was sent to a psychiatric hospital, then released in 2009, and then stabbed someone else.The Premier wonders how the man was released a second time before Sunday's attack and he will

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to