16.95°C Vancouver

News

coroners-inquest-to-probe-death-of-b-c-man-shot-dozens-of-times-by-police-in-2018
BCApr 19, 2024

Coroner's inquest to probe death of B.C. man shot dozens of times by police in 2018

The British Columbia Coroners Service says it will hold an inquest into the death of a man who died in a hail of police gunfire after starting a shootout with RCMP officers in Kamloops. The service says the inquest will begin on May 6 at the Kamloops law courts to determine the facts related to the death of 35-year-old Eugene Marcano, who was shot and killed by Mounties on Sept. 14, 2018. A report from B.C.'s Independent Investigations Office in 2019 says Marcano initiated a shootout with Kamloops RCMP officers, who had responded to a call about a truck and trailer parked in a remote location
no-immediate-risk-from-2-5-million-litre-effluent-spill-from-b-c-fibreboard-plant
BCApr 19, 2024

'No immediate risk' from 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from B.C. fibreboard plant

British Columbia's Environment Ministry says a 2.5-million-litre effluent spill from a fibreboard factory in Quesnel doesn't pose any immediate risk to public safety. It says in a statement that Monday's spill from the WestPine Medium-Density Fibreboard plant into a gravel pit has been assessed and no waterways have been affected. Factory owner West Fraser says in a statement that a valve on a failed line between the factory and a pulp mill has been replaced, and the cleanup effort is complete. West Fraser spokeswoman Joyce Wagenaar says in the statement that the effluent is within B.C.'s wate
three-b-c-hunters-fined-and-banned-for-unlawfully-killing-wildlife-near-kamloops
BCApr 19, 2024

Three B.C. hunters fined and banned for unlawfully killing wildlife near Kamloops

Three men from British Columbia's Lower Mainland have been fined and banned from hunting for 10 years each for "unlawfully killing wildlife," including a deer pregnant with two fawns. On Thursday, a Kamloops provincial court judge fined one man $8,000 and his rifle and spotlights were seized, while the two others received $5,000 penalties, the BC Conservation Officer Service says in a social media post. The service says the men used spotlights while hunting at night in May 2020 to kill two deer, despite the hunting season being closed. The men were also caught with several grouse and a marmot.
b-c-celebrates-10-billion-seedlings-planted-since-1930
BCApr 16, 2024

B.C. celebrates 10 billion seedlings planted since 1930

British Columbia officials are celebrating the planting of 10 billion seedlings since reforestation efforts began nearly a century ago. A statement from the Forests Ministry says two billion of those seedlings have been planted in the last seven years. It says the 10-billionth seedling was among 305 million that were planted throughout the province last year, and Forests Minister Bruce Ralston planted a ceremonial tree in Surrey's Green Timbers Urban Forest Park to mark the milestone on Monday. Ralston says in a statement that it's easy to get lost in the large number, but there's a human stor
b-c-judge-rejects-bid-to-throw-out-ibrahim-alis-murder-conviction
BCApr 11, 2024

B.C. judge rejects bid to throw out Ibrahim Ali's murder conviction

A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has rejected an application to throw out the conviction of Ibrahim Ali for the murder of a 13-year-old in Burnaby, B.C., over what his lawyers say were unreasonable delays in getting him to trial. Justice Lance Bernard made the ruling, with reasons to follow, moments after defence lawyer Kevin McCullough made his final rebuttal in the matter that could have seen Ali go free. Ali was found guilty in December of first-degree murder in the death of the girl whose body was found in Burnaby's Central Park in July 2017.
b-c-announces-one-time-430-rent-relief-benefit-to-low-income-seniors
BCApr 09, 2024

B.C. announces one-time $430 rent relief benefit to low-income seniors

The British Columbia government is granting a one-time $430 benefit to the roughly 20,000 seniors in its support program for elderly low-income renters. B.C. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says eligible seniors don't need to apply for the payment, which will be sent out this month. Kahlon says the Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters program, known as SAFER, will also expand eligibility for its benefits to seniors with annual incomes up to $37,240, compared to the previous $33,000 limit. Other changes will include the possible annual review and amendment of rent ceilings, which are used to determine
b-c-launches-spring-covid-19-booster-program-targeting-vulnerable-and-unvaccinated
BCApr 09, 2024

B.C. launches spring COVID-19 booster program, targeting vulnerable and unvaccinated

British Columbia is rolling out another round of COVID-19 vaccination boosters, with invitations starting to go out Monday. Ministry of Health says people who haven't received a booster against the XBB. 1.5 Omicron variant of COVID-19 will be among those offered the free shot. Others who will be invited include adults aged 65 and older, Indigenous adults 55 and over, residents of long-term care homes and assisted-living facilities, and anyone older than six months who is "clinically extremely vulnerable." The ministry says in a statement that although the spring program is focused on those mos
toxic-drug-supply-claims-177-lives-in-b-c-in-february-coroners-service
BCApr 05, 2024

Toxic drug supply claims 177 lives in B.C. in February: Coroners Service

The BC Coroners Service says 177 people died in February due to "toxic, unregulated drugs." The service says at least 175 people have died because of the toxic drug supply in each of the last 20 consecutive months. It says the latest numbers are down 11 per cent compared with February 2023, but the province still saw an average of about six deaths per day this past February. A statement released by the Public Safety Ministry says the overdose death rate in B.C. is still "significantly elevated," with 40.1 deaths per 100,000 residents in the first two months of this year. The statement says tha
bc-hydro-wants-more-clean-power-to-help-meet-demand-clean-energy-targets
BCApr 04, 2024

BC Hydro wants more clean power to help meet demand, clean energy targets

BC Hydro is looking for more clean power to add to its grids as electricity demands are expected to increase by 15 per cent in the next six years. The Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation says the Crown power utility has issued its first call in 15 years and is looking to acquire about 3,000 gigawatt hours per year. The ministry says in a statement that it would add about five per cent to its current supply, which would provide clean electricity to 270,000 homes or about a million electric vehicles per year. The added need is due to population growth, housing construction, indus

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

Canada-US trade talks collapse as Ottawa vows dollar-for-dollar tariff response

Canada has ended its latest round of trade negotiations with the United States after Ottawa said Washington changed key conditions near the deadline, prompting Prime Minister Mark Carney to recall Canadian negotiators from the talks. Carney said the revised U.S. terms were unreasonable and harmful to Canada’s interests. He said the government would move quickly to support Canadian workers and businesses affected by the trade measures and would respond to U.S. tariffs on a dollar-for-dollar basis. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, meanwhile, said Canada rejected an opportunity for a d
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in