18.98°C Vancouver

News

victoria-bus-fleet-affected-by-transport-canada-recall-bc-transit
BCJun 03, 2024

Victoria bus fleet affected by Transport Canada recall: BC Transit

BC Transit says several buses in its Victoria fleet are affected by a Transport Canada recall. The agency says a number of its CNG Vicinity Motor Corp. buses contain a manufacturer part that was in the recall. It adds the buses are temporarily removed from service. BC Transit says replacement parts are expected to arrive later in the week and buses will return to service after the part is fixed. It warns transit users of delays and trip cancellations as the agency works to replace parts. Transport Canada issued a recall last week for certain Vicinity buses with fuel system-related defects whic
vancouver-driver-arrested-after-crashing-into-vehicles-narrowly-missing-pedestrians
BCJun 03, 2024

Vancouver driver arrested after crashing into vehicles, narrowly missing pedestrians

Vancouver police say they are recommending multiple dangerous driving and impaired driving charges for a man who crashed his car into several other vehicles and nearly hit pedestrians downtown last week. They say the driver of a white Mercedes allegedly "smashed into and sideswiped" a grey Mazda CX5 on Alberni Street around 10 p.m. on Friday. They allege he then accelerated through the Bute Street intersection, jumping a curb and nearly hitting pedestrians before crashing into a bike rack and street sign and splitting a tree in half. Vancouver Police say the driver then crashed into three othe
b-c-rcmp-squamish-search-and-rescue-looking-for-missing-climbers
BCJun 03, 2024

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

A spokeswoman for Squamish Search and Rescue in British Columbia says an "active search" is underway for three experienced mountaineers who have been missing since Friday. Christy Allan says in an interview that the climbers were last seen Friday morning on Atwell Peak, located on the southern edge of Mount Garibaldi. She says the organization was contacted Friday night by the RCMP to help search for the overdue mountaineers. Allan says the climbers, who have not yet been identified, were last seen in "really complex and remote terrain." She says members would usually access the region by air
serial-killer-robert-pickton-dies-following-prison-assault
BCMay 31, 2024

Serial killer Robert Pickton dies following prison assault

Serial killer Robert Pickton has died after he was assaulted in prison earlier this month, Quebec provincial police and Correctional Service Canada say. The correctional service says Pickton, an inmate at Port-Cartier Institution in Quebec, died on Friday at the age of 74. It says in a statement that Pickton's next of kin have been notified as well as victims who had registered to be told. It says an investigation is underway into the May 19 assault that involved another inmate. Quebec provincial police spokesman Frédéric Deshaies says Pickton died "in the last few hours." He says police co
forecasters-warn-b-c-to-prepare-for-hot-summer-forecast-outlook
BCMay 31, 2024

Forecasters warn B.C. to prepare for hot summer: forecast outlook

Forecasters say British Columbia should prepare for hotter than normal temperatures in June. An outlook from Environment Canada says the first week of June will be cooler than normal across most of B.C. but the rest of the month is likely to feature above-normal temperatures across the province. The longer-term outlook for June to August says there is a high probability of above-normal temperatures across the B.C. Interior and "moderate probabilities" of near-normal temperatures on the coast. June's outlook indicates a probability of below-normal precipitation across the B.C. Interior as the m
b-c-unveils-240-language-racism-reporting-helpline
BCMay 30, 2024

B.C. unveils 240-language racism reporting helpline

British Columbia has launched a new helpline for people who witness or experience a racist incident, with support available in more than 240 languages. The province says callers will receive support and guidance, which could include referrals to local community support services, such as counselling or help with reporting to police. It says callers will be asked to describe where and what happened, and whether they'd like to disclose "basic demographic information." The province says data from the helpline will help officials better understand where and how such incidents are happening in B.C.,
b-c-government-to-pay-for-covid-19-drug-paxlovid-after-feds-drop-coverage
BCMay 30, 2024

B.C. government to pay for COVID-19 drug Paxlovid after feds drop coverage

British Columbia will cover the cost of an antiviral drug aimed at treating mild to moderate cases of COVID-19 as the federal government ends its coverage. A statement from B.C.'s Health Ministry says the province will provide 100 per cent coverage for the treatment sold under the brand name Paxlovid, for B.C. residents with an active medical services plan. A provincial government web page says the change took effect on Tuesday, after the federal government stopped supplying Paxlovid in March, and pharmacies are to obtain Paxlovid supplies from their wholesaler. The Health Ministry says the dr
dna-match-leads-to-conviction-22-years-after-b-c-sexual-assault
BCMay 29, 2024

DNA match leads to conviction 22 years after B.C. sexual assault

Police in Metro Vancouver say a DNA match led to a man's arrest and conviction more than 22 years after he broke into a woman's home and sexually assaulted her. Richmond RCMP say Christopher Sharafi, also known as Mohammed Mendi Sharafi, was found guilty last October, and in April he was sentenced to five years in prison for the two offences dating back to December 2001. The Mounties say the victim reported waking up to find a man standing in her room, and he then climbed into her bed and assaulted her as she tried to fight back. They say in a statement that police collected and submitted DNA
human-smugglers-used-b-c-freight-trains-to-move-people-across-border-u-s-says
BCMay 29, 2024

Human smugglers used B.C. freight trains to move people across border, U.S. says

The U.S. Department of Justice says two men are facing human smuggling charges in Seattle for their alleged role in what it calls a dangerous scheme to transport people out of British Columbia and across the border on freight trains. U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Washington Tessa Gorman says Jesus Ortiz-Plata, 45, of Oregon and Juan Pablo Cuellar Medina, 35, of Washington were arrested last week, along with three non-citizens who were allegedly smuggled out of Canada. Gorman says Ortiz-Plata and Medina employed "an extremely dangerous smuggling scheme," and that in one case last Au

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees