15.24°C Vancouver

News

police-probe-clears-seven-vancouver-officers-in-beating-death-of-myles-gray
BCOct 11, 2024

Seven Vancouver police officers cleared of wrongdoing in Myles Gray death; case under review by complaints commissioner

Seven Vancouver Police Department (VPD) officers involved in the 2015 death of Myles Gray have been cleared of misconduct by a police discipline authority, though the case remains under review by the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner (OPCC). Gray, 33, died following a violent altercation with police in Burnaby nearly nine years ago. A coroner’s inquest last year classified his death as a homicide, citing multiple injuries and police restraint methods that contributed to cardiopulmonary arrest. The inquest heard Gray suffered neck compression, blunt force trauma, pepper spray expos
advance-voting-begins-for-the-british-columbia-provincial-election-on-oct-19
BCOct 10, 2024

Advance voting begins for the British Columbia provincial election on Oct. 19

British Columbians eager to cast their ballots early can begin voting today at hundreds of advance polling locations across the province, as the 2025 provincial election heads into its final phase. Elections BC says 343 advance voting places will operate during two periods — from today through October 13, and again on October 15 and 16. However, not all sites will be open every day. Voting hours are set from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and eligible voters can find their nearest location using the “where-to-vote” card mailed to them or through the Elections BC website. The election is shaping up to
leaders-condemn-hateful-rhetoric-at-b-c-pro-palestinian-protest-on-oct-7
BCOct 09, 2024

Leaders condemn 'hateful rhetoric' at B.C. pro-Palestinian protest on Oct. 7

Political leaders across British Columbia and Canada are condemning what they describe as hate-filled and extremist rhetoric at a pro-Palestinian rally in downtown Vancouver, where a masked speaker led chants supporting groups designated as terrorist organizations. Videos posted online show a woman addressing hundreds gathered at the Vancouver Art Gallery on Monday night, chanting “we are Hezbollah and we are Hamas” and calling for “death to Canada, death to the United States, and death to Israel.” Some attendees were also seen burning Canadian flags. The event, organized by the group
vancouver-island-man-charged-in-hit-and-run-that-killed-17-year-old-girl
BCOct 09, 2024

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl

A 28-year-old man from the Cowichan Valley has been charged in connection with a fatal hit-and-run earlier this year that claimed the life of a teenage girl in Duncan. North Cowichan–Duncan RCMP said the man is facing one count of failing to stop at the scene of an accident causing death. The charge was approved by the B.C. Prosecution Service following what investigators described as a lengthy and complex investigation. Police were called to the Trans-Canada Highway near Duncan on April 18, where they discovered a 17-year-old girl dead at the scene. The suspect vehicle was not found at the
b-c-man-gets-prison-sentence-fine-for-using-fake-names-to-buy-guns-in-the-u-s
BCOct 09, 2024

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

A U.S. federal court has sentenced a 27-year-old Kelowna man to 18 months in prison for using false identities to purchase firearms in Montana with the intent to smuggle them into Canada. The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Montana says Haptei John Kozak pleaded guilty earlier this year to four counts of making false statements during firearm transactions. District Court Judge Donald Molloy also imposed a $10,000 fine, three years of supervised release, and ordered Kozak to forfeit 12 firearms seized during the investigation. Prosecutors said Kozak used a fake Montana driver’s licence and falsif
officers-in-b-c-make-dozens-of-seizures-of-methamphetamine-bound-for-australia
BCOct 08, 2024

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Canadian border officers in British Columbia have intercepted large quantities of methamphetamine intended for export to Australia, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) confirmed this week. Between March and August, officers made 60 separate seizures totalling nearly 400 kilograms of crystal meth and about 1,300 litres of liquid methamphetamine. The CBSA says the largest single seizure occurred in June at the Fraser Surrey Dock, southeast of Vancouver, when officers discovered the liquid form of the drug during a one-day inspection operation. Other seizures of crystal meth took place at se
party-leaders-prep-for-only-televised-debate-of-b-c-s-election-campaign
BCOct 08, 2024

Party leaders prep for only televised debate of B.C.'s election campaign

Leaders of British Columbia’s three main political parties will meet tonight for the province’s only televised debate before voters head to the polls on October 19. The 90-minute debate, airing from 6:30 to 8 p.m., will provide a final opportunity for candidates to make their case directly to the public as advance voting begins Friday. Early voting will take place from October 10 to 13 and again from October 15 to 16 across the province. The leaders previously clashed in a radio debate last week, exchanging sharp words over affordability, health care, and the opioid crisis — three of the
nuremberg-and-nazi-comparisons-to-covid-19-measures-unacceptable-rustad
BCOct 07, 2024

Rustad walks back “Nuremberg 2.0” comment as B.C. leaders enter final stretch of election campaign

B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad is facing criticism after a video surfaced of him referencing “Nuremberg 2.0,” a conspiracy theory suggesting public health officials should face trial for pandemic-era restrictions. Rustad now says his remarks were “misunderstood” and that comparing COVID-19 measures to Nazi Germany or the Holocaust is “deeply disrespectful to the memory of those who suffered.” The clarification came after a recording from July 2024 resurfaced, showing Rustad telling members of the B.C. Public Service Employees for Freedom group that his party would “certainl
man-dead-after-a-pickup-truck-crashed-into-a-bus-stop-in-surrey-b-c
BCOct 07, 2024

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey, B.C.

Surrey RCMP say a 33-year-old man has died after a pickup truck collided with a bus stop bench, injuring another pedestrian and causing significant property damage on Saturday afternoon. Police say the crash happened when a Ford F-350 truck crossed into oncoming traffic and slammed into a bus stop bench, where two people were waiting. The impact killed one man instantly and left another man, also in his 30s, with minor injuries. The driver of the truck was arrested at the scene, and investigators say speed and drug use have not been ruled out as possible factors. RCMP confirmed that the Major

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to