19.86°C Vancouver

News

b-c-snowpack-at-72-of-normal-as-of-feb-1-after-extremely-dry-january
BCFeb 12, 2025

B.C. snowpack at 72% of normal as of Feb. 1 after 'extremely dry' January

British Columbia's latest snow and water supply bulletin says it was "extremely dry" across much of the province last month, with average snowpack measuring 28 per cent below normal as of Feb. 1. The latest snow pack figures released Tuesday come after the province started the year with a snowpack at 13 per cent below normal. The bulletin, release by from the Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship, says last month fell within the top 10 driest Januaries across much of the province, while Abbotsford, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Cranbrook and Chetwynd were in the top five since record-
teens-body-recovered-after-fall-through-ice-on-b-c-s-shuswap-lake
BCFeb 11, 2025

Teens body recovered after fall through ice on B.C.'s Shuswap Lake

The body of an 18-year-old man has been recovered from Shuswap Lake in British Columbia's Interior after he fell through the ice over the weekend. Police say in a statement that the RCMP's underwater recover team found the teen's body on Monday. Salmon Arm Search and Rescue, the fire department and BC Emergency Health Services were called to the scene on Saturday to help search for the man. Staff Sgt. Simon Scott, the Salmon Arm RCMP detachment commander, says the death is a heartbreaking tragedy that has deeply affected the man's family, first responders and the community. Scott says changing
b-c-government-approves-controversial-supportive-housing-project-in-richmond
BCFeb 07, 2025

B.C. Government Approves Controversial Supportive Housing Project in Richmond

The B.C. government has approved a six-storey, 90-unit supportive housing project in Richmond, sparking backlash from locals. The project, initially paused in August ahead of the October provincial election, was greenlit Thursday evening. Three Conservative MLAs from Richmond oppose the project, citing a lack of consultation with residents and issues arising from the city’s temporary modular housing sites. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon clarified that the new permanent building will be separate from the temporary housing initiative, aiming to address community concerns.
abbotsford-b-c-daycare-owner-charged-with-six-counts-of-assaulting-children
BCFeb 06, 2025

Abbotsford, B.C., daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children

Police say an East Abbotsford daycare owner has been charged with allegedly assaulting children in her care. Abbotsford Police say officers launched an investigation into reports that the 60-year-old had assaulted children in October. They say the alleged incidents date back to 2022 and involved children between the ages of two and six years old. They say woman was arrested on Tuesday. Police say she has since been charged with six counts of assault and has been released under court-ordered conditions including that she have no contact with any person under the age of 16. Detectives with the d
two-arrested-including-a-surrey-woman-in-catalytic-converter-theft-in-burnaby
BCFeb 05, 2025

Two arrested, including a Surrey woman, in catalytic converter theft in Burnaby

Mounties in Burnaby say two women have been arrested after stealing a catalytic converter from a van in a parking lot in the area of Brighton Avenue and Lougheed Highway. They say that on January 22nd, officers responded to reports of the women underneath the vehicle, but the pair left the scene before they arrived. The R-C-M-P say the 9-1-1 caller was able to describe their car and the women were arrested a short time later with several catalytic converters in their possession. Police say the 38-year-old from Surrey and 39-year-old from Abbotsford are expected to face numerous charges,
b-c-wildfire-crews-return-from-california-deployment-to-combat-l-a-fires
BCFeb 04, 2025

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

More than 30 firefighters from British Columbia's Wildfire Service have returned home from a deployment fighting large fires that destroyed thousands of homes around Southern California. The Ministry of Forests say the crews are part of two separate groups, the first consisting of 13 technical specialists who were deployed on Jan. 11 to support the effort to combat the Palisades wildfire in L.A. Then, on Jan. 16, the BC Wildfire Service sent another 22 front-line firefighters along with an agency representative to California. The second crew worked on front-line fire suppression and other acti
bc-opposition-leader-proposes-10-point-plan-to-address-tariff-threats
BCFeb 03, 2025

BC Opposition Leader Proposes 10-Point Plan to Address Tariff Threats

BC Opposition Leader John Rustad has announced his party's 10-point tariff response plan, urging the Eby government to implement it immediately to safeguard the province's economy. In a letter to Premier David Eby, Rustad called for the province to negotiate agreements with other provinces to eliminate barriers to interprovincial trade, reduce carbon taxes, and open B.C. trade offices in countries beyond the U.S. Meanwhile, Ravi Kahlon, the head of the cabinet committee established by Premier Eby to tackle potential tariffs, has emphasized the government's commitment to diversifying B.C.'s ec
concerns-over-job-losses-in-bc-due-to-trumps-tariffs
BCJan 31, 2025

Concerns Over Job Losses in BC Due to Trump's Tariffs

Fears surrounding Trump's tariffs in British Columbia have raised concerns about potential job losses. BC Federation of Labour President Sussanne Skidmore expressed significant concern, noting that workers on both sides of the border will have to bear the brunt of the tariffs. Although Skidmore did not provide an exact number of potential job losses in BC, she warned that if the 25 percent tariff continues for an extended period, thousands of jobs could be lost across Canada. She emphasized that the situation is being closely monitored to help protect workers' jobs. Earlier this week, Premier
b-c-assembles-war-room-to-push-back-against-u-s-tariff-threats
BCJan 30, 2025

B.C. assembles 'war room' to push back against U.S. tariff threats

British Columbia's premier is assembling a "war room" over the looming trade war between Canada and the United States, with President Donald Trump's threatened tariffs on Canadian goods coming as soon as Saturday. A statement from Premier David Eby's office says he is tasking a new cabinet committee with co-ordinating a "whole-of-government" approach aimed at protecting B.C. workers, businesses and the economy against the tariff threat. The committee is described as a "day-to-day war room" chaired by Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon. Eby says Trump's proposed 25 per cent tariffs are a "direct atta

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to