17.63°C Vancouver

News

arrest-warrant-issued-for-alberta-woman-released-from-jail-with-fake-documents
AlbertaMay 22, 2025

Arrest warrant issued for Alberta woman released from jail with fake documents

An arrest warrant has been issued for an Alberta woman who was released from jail last month with alleged fake documents. Mackenzie Dawn Hardy was charged with several offences, including possession of stolen property, impaired driving and flight from police, after she was arrested in March. The Alberta Crown Prosecution Service says Hardy was released from custody after staff at the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre near Edmonton were shown documents indicating her charges had been stayed. Spokeswoman Michelle Davio says the use of the alleged false documents is being invest
alberta-reports-19-new-cases-of-measles-surpassing-500-infections
CanadaMay 22, 2025

Alberta reports 19 new cases of measles, surpassing 500 infections

Alberta has seen more than 500 cases of measles since early March, as 19 more cases of the highly contagious disease have been confirmed. The province says all but one of the new cases are in southern Alberta, the area that has seen more than 70 per cent of all cases. Government data shows close to 80 per cent of Alberta's total cases have been reported in children, including 157 in those under the age of five. As of earlier this month, 35 people had been hospitalized, and an Alberta Health spokesperson says one is currently in intensive care. Measles symptoms include fever, coughing, runn
rcmp-investigate-after-electric-substation-shot-at-causing-oil-leak-and-power-outage
AlbertaMay 21, 2025

RCMP investigate after electric substation shot at, causing oil leak and power outage

An investigation is underway after an electricity substation near the Alberta-Saskatchewan boundary was shot at early Monday, spilling oil and leaving thousands in the dark. RCMP say they responded to a ``firearms-related'' call at an Atco substation in Lloydminster, a town straddling the provincial boundary. They say the facility was shot at and a bullet hit an oil tank, knocking out power to more than 2,500 residents for at least three hours and releasing roughly 20,000 litres of oil. Preliminary estimates place the cost of damage and environmental cleanup at about $1.1 million
alberta-reports-48-new-cases-of-measles-nears-500-case-mark-since-march
AlbertaMay 21, 2025

Alberta reports 48 new cases of measles, nears 500-case mark since March

Alberta has confirmed 48 more cases of measles, bringing the province's total case count to 486 since the beginning of March. The province says all but two of the new cases of the highly contagious disease are in southern Alberta, the area that has seen about 70 per cent of all cases. Government data shows that close to 80 per cent of all cases have been reported in children, including 149 cases in those under the age of five. As of earlier this month, 35 people had been hospitalized. Measles symptoms include fever, coughing, runny nose, red eyes and a blotchy, red rash that ap
alberta-reports-14-new-measles-cases-bringing-provincial-total-to-over-400
CanadaMay 16, 2025

Alberta reports 14 new measles cases, bringing provincial total to over 400

Alberta has now seen more than 400 cases of measles within the last two months. The province confirmed 14 new cases Thursday, bringing the provincial total to 409 since the beginning of March. More than 300 of the total cases of the highly contagious disease have been found in children, with 127 cases confirmed in those under age five. The government says 35 people have been hospitalized. More than half of all cases have been in southern parts of Alberta, while just six cases have been confirmed in the Edmonton area. Measles symptoms include fever, coughing, runny nose, red eyes and a blot
onion-lake-cree-nation-to-proceed-with-legal-challenge-of-alberta-sovereignty-act
CanadaMay 16, 2025

Onion Lake Cree Nation to proceed with legal challenge of Alberta sovereignty act

Alberta's bill lowering the bar for a separation referendum has spurred a First Nation to push ahead with a legal challenge against the premier's flagship sovereignty act. Danielle Smith has said her Alberta Sovereignty Within a United Canada Act is needed to push back on what the province believes is unconstitutional federal encroachment on provincial jurisdiction. But Onion Lake Cree Nation Chief Henry Lewis says it undermines his community's pre-existing treaty with the Crown. He announced the legal challenge is moving forward a day after Smith's government passed a bill significantly l
alberta-government-amends-referendum-bill-in-effort-to-placate-first-nations-concern
AlbertaMay 15, 2025

Alberta government amends referendum bill in effort to placate First Nations' concern

Alberta's government has made 11th-hour changes to controversial proposed legislation declaring that no separatio referendum question could threaten First Nations' existing treaty rights. Premier Danielle Smith's government is working to considerably lower the threshold to allow for citizen-initiated referendums, including whether the province should separate from Canada. Her government's proposed bill has yet to become law. Chiefs of Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation and Mikisew Cree First Nation say the amendments mean nothing, and the bill still needs to be shredded. Opposition N
police-say-calgary-bus-driver-attacked-for-refusing-to-go-off-route
CanadaMay 15, 2025

Police say Calgary bus driver attacked for refusing to go off route

Police say a Calgary transit bus driver was attacked for apparently refusing to drive off his route. Two suspects have been arrested. They say the driver had refused a request to deviate from his designated route and was assaulted in the city's northeast. One rider tried to intervene in the attack but did not sustain serious injuries. The driver was taken to hospital in life-threatening condition but was upgraded to stable. Police say charges are pending against the suspects. ``We fully recognize that this is a highly concerning incident for Calgarians, and we are working with our partners
transit-bus-driver-in-hospital-after-attack-in-calgary-by-matthew-scace
AlbertaMay 14, 2025

Transit bus driver in hospital after attack in Calgary By Matthew Scace

A Calgary transit bus driver is being treated for injuries in hospital after he was attacked on the job. Police say two people assaulted the driver while he was operating a bus in the city's northeast. He was taken to hospital in life-threatening condition and later upgraded to stable. Officers have not located any suspects, and investigators are canvassing the area. Concerns over transit safety and low ridership last year prompted the city to begin spending $15 million for new transit peace officers.

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees