9.29°C Vancouver

News

rcmp-say-skydiving-instructor-dies-following-jump-west-of-edmonton
AlbertaMay 12, 2025

RCMP say skydiving instructor dies following jump west of Edmonton

RCMP say a skydiver has died in a weekend accident west of Edmonton. Cpl. Troy Savinkoff said police were called to a township road near Onoway on Saturday morning, where he said a 56-year-old man from Edmonton suffered fatal injuries following a jump from a plane. He said the man was a skydiving instructor. Skydiving West Edmonton said in a statement that an ``experienced skydiver'' succumbed to his injuries as a result of `a high-speed malfunction'' on Saturday morning. ``The skydiver had over 3,000 skydives and was a beloved member of the Skydive West Edmonton family. His l
some-rural-residents-north-of-edmonton-can-return-home-after-wildfire-threat
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Some rural residents north of Edmonton can return home after wildfire threat

Residents from a rural area north of Edmonton who fled an active wildfire this week can now return to their homes. A social media post from Athabasca County says evacuation orders were lifted for the Village of Boyle and some nearby parts of the county. People living on Highway 831 south of Boyle are still under evacuation orders and are not to return at this time as the wildfire is still burning, but is being held. Some residents of Thorhild County, about 90 kilometres northeast of Edmonton, can also return home, but are to stay prepared to leave within a moment's notice if condi
missing-youths-found-in-leduc-man-charged-with-sexual-assault-and-child-luring
CanadaMay 09, 2025

Missing youths found in Leduc, man charged with sexual assault and child luring

Sex charges have been laid after two youths were reported missing from a town east of Edmonton and later found in the company of a man. Police say the two youths were reported missing from the Two Hills area on Tuesday and located in Leduc, south of Edmonton. A 40-year-old man from Two Hills was arrested and faces charges that include two counts each of sexual interference, sexual assault and possession of child pornography, and three counts of child luring.
alberta-surpasses-300-measles-cases-as-doctors-warn-of-exponential-increases
AlbertaMay 09, 2025

Alberta surpasses 300 measles cases as doctors warn of exponential increases

More than 300 people in Alberta have fallen ill from measles since March and a group of doctors are warning the virus could grow exponentially in the coming weeks. The Alberta government is reporting 16 new measles cases to bring the province's total count to 313. The rising number has prompted the association representing Alberta doctors to warn of an outbreak that could quickly reach the thousands. Dr. James Talbot, Alberta's former chief medical officer of health, says cases are likely much higher than reported and that for every 1,000 cases, one to three people will likely die.
albertas-recently-resigned-legislature-speaker-to-vote-heckle-in-last-days-as-mla
AlbertaMay 08, 2025

Alberta's recently resigned legislature Speaker to vote, heckle in last days as MLA

Alberta's now former Speaker of the legislature says he's excited to display some partisanship in his last days as an elected official. Nathan Cooper announced this week that he is to resign his seat in the assembly to become Alberta's representative to the United States. The United Conservative Party MLA had been Alberta's legislature Speaker and non-partisan debate referee since 2019. He says he thinks made a positive impact by improving the relationship between parties, but he says he has a lot to get off his chest after six years of holding his tongue. Cooper says he'll vo
measles-cases-increase-in-alberta-22-more-new-cases-reported
AlbertaMay 07, 2025

Measles cases increase in Alberta, 22 more new cases reported

Measles cases in Alberta are increasing day by day and their number reached 287 yesterday. 22 new cases were reported on Tuesday, of which 17 are from the province's South Zone. No new cases have been reported from the Calgary area. Medical officials have been urging the provincial government for several months to make people aware of measles and the government launched a campaign for this on Monday. Measles vaccination will be increased in the coming days across the province. A hotline has also been set up for Albertans, where they can check their vaccination status. This disease has broken
danielle-smith-dismisses-doug-fords-warning-against-separatist-threats-from-alberta
CanadaMay 07, 2025

Danielle Smith dismisses Doug Ford's warning against separatist threats from Alberta

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is urging her Ontario counterpart Doug Ford to mind his own business when it comes to talk of separating from Canada. Smith announced this week that she doesn’t want Alberta to leave Canada but, if enough residents sign a petition asking for a referendum on it, she’ll make sure it’s put to a vote in 2026. Ford, without mentioning Smith by name, says Canadian unity is critical as the country engages in a tariff fight with the United States and now is not the time to threaten to quit the country. Asked about his comment, Smith says she has a great friendship
residents-of-areas-northeast-of-edmonton-ordered-to-evacuate-due-to-wildfires
CanadaMay 07, 2025

Residents of areas northeast of Edmonton ordered to evacuate due to wildfires

Residents in rural areas northeast of Edmonton have been ordered to leave their homes because of separate wildfires. Thorhild County has issued a state of local emergency and an evacuation order for an area south of the hamlet of Radway, Alta., while Athabasca County has issued an evacuation order for an area south of the village of Boyle, Alta. The village has declared a state of local emergency and is under an evacuation alert, with residents being told to prepare to leave by packing a bag for the next 72 hours. Athabasca County is directing its evacuees to a reception centre at Parkland
alberta-city-pays-over-9-5-million-to-155-women-in-class-action-lawsuit-settlement
AlbertaMay 06, 2025

Alberta city pays over $9.5 million to 155 women in class-action lawsuit settlement

A law firm representing women who sued an Alberta municipality over claims of sexual assault, harassment and discrimination says over $9.5 million has been paid out to 155 women whose claims were approved in a settlement. Two female firefighters with the Leduc fire department, south of Edmonton, launched the class-action lawsuit in 2022 claiming they were subject to physical and sexual assault, harassment and bullying while on the job. In a news release late Monday, the law firm of Burnett, Duckworth & Palmer LLP claims the settlement is ``one of the highest per person payouts i

Just In

AlbertaMay 15, 2026

Alberta legislature adjourns spring sitting amid separatism debate

Alberta MLAs wrapped up the spring sitting of the legislature this week following months of debate that frequently centred on separatist sentiment and political divisions at the legislature. The sitting included government legislation on issues ranging from public library materials to medical assistance in dying. However, exchanges in question period were often dominated by disagreements over separatism and the role of Premier Danielle Smith’s United Conservative government in responding to the movement. Government House Leader Joseph Schow said the United Conservative Party focused its legi
senior-critically-injured-two-vancouver-police-officers-hurt-after-west-end-vehicle-incident
BCMay 15, 2026

Senior critically injured, two Vancouver police officers hurt after West End vehicle incident

A senior citizen remains in critical condition and two Vancouver Police Department officers were hospitalized after a driver allegedly rammed multiple vehicles and drove through part of Nelson Park in Vancouver’s West End early Friday morning.According to Vancouver police, the incident began around 5:30 a.m. near Comox and Broughton streets when a vehicle was seen driving erratically and striking several objects, including an area near the Nelson Park dog park. Witnesses in the area reportedly moved out of the vehicle’s path to avoid being hit.Police said the injured senior was operating a
man-charged-after-surrey-shooting-that-injured-woman
BCMay 15, 2026

Man charged after Surrey shooting that injured woman

A 31-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service investigation into a November 2025 shooting that injured a woman inside a Surrey residence. Police said frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired at a home near 121 Street and 101B Avenue at about 9:10 p.m. on Nov. 23, 2025. According to Surrey Police Service, a female resident suffered a gunshot wound to the thigh and officers provided emergency medical aid until BC Emergency Health Services arrived. The SPS Major Crime Section led the investigation. Police said investigators identified a suspect and associated
death-toll-rises-to-24-after-russian-missile-strike-on-kyiv-apartment-building-zelenskyy-says
WorldMay 15, 2026

Death toll rises to 24 after Russian missile strike on Kyiv apartment building, Zelenskyy says

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday that the death toll from a Russian missile strike on a Kyiv apartment building has risen to 24, including three children, after emergency crews completed search operations at the site. In posts published on X, Zelenskyy said rescue workers spent more than a day clearing debris from the damaged nine-storey residential building following Thursday’s attack. Ukrainian officials also reported 48 people injured in the broader assault on the capital, including two children. According to the Ukrainian air force, the strike formed part of what offic
911-communications-workers-in-b-c-vote-95-in-favour-of-strike-action
BCMay 15, 2026

911 communications workers in B.C. vote 95% in favour of strike action

A union representing more than 700 emergency communications workers in British Columbia says members have voted 95 per cent in favour of strike action as contract negotiations continue with E-Comm, the organization that operates many of the province’s 911 call services. CUPE 8911 said Thursday the vote reflects concerns among front-line staff about staffing shortages, workload pressures and long-term sustainability within the emergency communications system. The union said workers would be in a legal strike position once an essential services order is finalized through the labour relations p