19.95°C Vancouver

News

AlbertaMar 16, 2026

Driver killed in shooting on Queen Elizabeth II Highway near Leduc, police investigating

A driver was killed after shots were fired at a moving vehicle Saturday afternoon on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway near Leduc, according to police. Investigators say the incident happened around 2:50 p.m. near Township Road 490. Police said a black Honda Civic was travelling on the highway when a white or grey pickup truck pulled alongside and gunfire was directed at the car. The driver of the Honda Civic was struck by the gunfire and died at the scene, police said. Authorities have not released the victim’s identity. Police say the suspects fled the area in the pickup truck at a high rate
AlbertaMar 13, 2026

Court decision expected on injunction challenge to Alberta teachers’ back-to-work law

A judge in Edmonton is expected to rule Friday on whether to grant an injunction against an Alberta law that forced striking teachers back to work last fall. The request comes from the Alberta Teachers’ Association, which argues the province’s legislation ending the strike should be temporarily halted while the courts review its constitutionality. The issue was argued during a two-day hearing earlier this month. Association president Jason Schilling has said that if the court grants the injunction, the union would be in a legal position to resume strike action. He added that any decision t
treaty-6-leaders-raise-alberta-separatism-concerns-during-meeting-with-king-charles
AlbertaMar 12, 2026

Treaty 6 leaders raise Alberta separatism concerns during meeting with King Charles

The grand chief of the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations says Indigenous leaders raised concerns about Alberta separatism during a recent meeting with King Charles III at Buckingham Palace. Grand Chief Joey Pete said the King was “very interested” in hearing directly from Treaty 6 leadership and listened closely as chiefs described issues affecting First Nations in the region, including political discussions in Alberta about possible separation from Canada. Pete said the King expressed concern after hearing about the issue and told leaders he would seek to learn more. According to Pe
AlbertaMar 11, 2026

Treaty 6 First Nations leaders meet King Charles in England ahead of 150th anniversary

Leaders from Treaty 6 First Nations are meeting with King Charles III at Buckingham Palace today as part of a delegation representing communities in Alberta and Saskatchewan. The group includes seven representatives speaking on behalf of Treaty 6 First Nations. According to the Chiefs, the meeting is intended to discuss the historic treaty relationship between First Nations and the Crown. During the visit, the delegation plans to invite the King to attend events marking the 150th anniversary of the signing of Treaty 6. Chiefs say the commemoration is intended to recognize the treaty’s histor
alberta-announces-10-new-school-projects-for-edmonton-to-address-classroom-shortages
AlbertaMar 09, 2026

Alberta announces 10 new school projects for Edmonton to address classroom shortages

The Alberta government says it will move ahead with 10 new school projects in Edmonton as part of efforts to address growing classroom shortages linked to rapid population growth. Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides announced the projects under the province’s 2026 budget. The announcement brings the total number of public school projects currently underway in Edmonton to 37. According to the Alberta Ministry of Education, the newly announced projects include eight new schools and two replacement schools. The facilities are planned primarily for fast-growing suburban areas of the city whe
AlbertaMar 09, 2026

Calgary asks residents to reduce water use as major feeder main shuts down for repairs

The City of Calgary is asking residents to limit water use for the next month as crews shut down a major feeder main for additional repairs. City officials say the Bearspaw South Feeder Main – which carries about 60 per cent of Calgary’s treated drinking water – has been taken offline while crews reinforce sections of the aging pipe. During the shutdown, residents in Calgary and nearby communities are being asked to conserve water by taking shorter showers and reducing toilet flushing. According to the City of Calgary, the shutdown follows a December incident in which the pipe burst thro
edmonton-man-wanted-on-canada-wide-warrant-in-toronto-homicide
BCMar 04, 2026

Edmonton man wanted on Canada-wide warrant in Toronto homicide

The Toronto Police Service says a 19-year-old man from Edmonton is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant in connection with a fatal shooting in Rexdale last month. At a joint update with York Regional Police, Det. Sgt. Sandra Arruda of the homicide and missing persons unit said officers responded at about 3:26 p.m. on Feb. 7 to reports of a shooting in the parking lot of Woodbine Shopping Centre, near Rexdale Boulevard and Highway 27. According to police, officers located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries and later pronounced dead. Inv
alberta-commits-15-million-to-bid-for-2028-world-cup-of-hockey
AlbertaMar 03, 2026

Alberta commits $15 million to bid for 2028 World Cup of Hockey

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says the provincial government will provide $15 million to support a bid to host the 2028 World Cup of Hockey in Alberta. Smith announced Monday that if the bid is successful, games would be played in Calgary and Edmonton. She said the tournament could become the second most-watched hockey competition globally. According to the premier, the bid decision will be made by the National Hockey League and the NHL Players' Association. Smith said she hopes league officials will select either Calgary or Edmonton to host the event. Carson Ackroyd, vice-president of sales
alberta-earmarks-40m-to-upgrade-66-government-applications-after-rise-in-cyber-incidents
AlbertaMar 02, 2026

Alberta earmarks $40M to upgrade 66 government applications after rise in cyber incidents

Alberta’s government has set aside $40 million in its latest budget to update or patch 66 software applications following a significant increase in cybersecurity incidents last year. According to Alberta’s 2026–27 budget documents, the funding will support upgrades and security patches across government systems. The province did not specify which applications are being modernized, stating that releasing those details could create additional security risks. The budget documents indicate the government managed close to 3,000 cybersecurity incidents last year, a 35 per cent increase compare

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to