24.3°C Vancouver

News

immigration-minister-welcomes-news-canadians-can-get-tourist-visas-to-india-again
CanadaNov 22, 2023

Immigration minister welcomes news Canadians can get tourist visas to India again

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says he's happy to hear that Canadians can once again get electronic tourist visas to India after two months of diplomatic tensions. Word of the change came from an Indian foreign ministry official, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition they not be named because they were not authorized to talk to reporters. In September, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced there were "credible allegations" that India was involved in the killing of Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar.The 45-year-old was shot by masked gunmen outside a Surrey, B.C., gurdwara in
soon-international-students-in-canada-will-not-be-able-to-work-more-than-20-hours-a-week
CanadaNov 17, 2023

Soon international students in Canada will not be able to work more than 20 hours a week

International students in Canada will soon be unable to work more than 20 hours a week.In November last year, the then immigration minister Sean Fraser removed this limit, which expires on December 31, 2023.A spokesperson for the Immigration Department said the move was intended to provide more opportunities for eligible international students to gain better work experience in Canada and increase the presence of workers to sustain economic growth after the pandemic.The ban on working hours was lifted from 15 November 2022 to 31 December 2023 to deal with labor shortages.The new policy was for
the-wait-continues-for-canadians-wanting-out-of-gaza-approval-list-not-yet-updated
CanadaNov 17, 2023

The wait continues for Canadians wanting out of Gaza, approval list not yet updated

Canadians in the Gaza Strip, eager to escape the bloody conflict between Israel and Hamas, may have to wait a little longer to leave.As of 4 a.m. Eastern, the General Authority for Crossings and Borders had yet to update its daily list of approved foreign passport holders authorized to exit Gaza and enter Egypt.The Canadian government says that as of Wednesday afternoon, it was in touch with 386 people still in the besieged territory.Global Affairs Canada says, so far, 367 Canadians, permanent residents and their relatives have been able to escape via the Rafah border crossing, most recently i
no-canadians-on-updated-exit-list-for-the-rafah-border-crossing
CanadaNov 16, 2023

No Canadians on updated exit list for the Rafah border crossing

There are no Canadians mentioned in an updated list of foreign nationals who are being allowed to leave the Gaza Strip today.The General Authority for Crossings and Borders published the latest document on its Facebook page early this morning.Global Affairs Canada said Wednesday that a total of 367 Canadian citizens, permanent residents and family members have been able to get out, including nine people who left without the Canadian government's help.Two more people were able to travel to Egypt via the Rafah border crossing on Wednesday, and 10 made the trip on Monday.The Canadian government s
qatar-proposes-israel-hamas-to-release-hostages-in-exchange-for-ceasefire
WorldNov 15, 2023

Qatar proposes Israel/Hamas to release hostages in exchange for ceasefire

Qatar mediators have presented a new proposal to Israel and Hamas in which some of the hostages can be released in exchange for an end to the war.Hamas is said to be holding 240 people it took hostage after the October 7 attack on Israel and are currently in Gaza.According to reports, under the proposal that Qatar officials are trying to convince Israel and Hamas, Hamas has set the condition of stopping the war for three days and in return has agreed to release 50 hostages.Officials said Hamas is close to agreeing to the deal, but Israel has not yet agreed and negotiations are ongoing.It is wo
israeli-army-enters-gazas-largest-hospital-targets-to-destroy-hamas-positions
WorldNov 15, 2023

Israeli army enters Gaza's largest hospital, targets to destroy Hamas positions

Israeli forces have entered Gaza's largest hospital in what the military says is a targeted operation to destroy Hamas positions and weapons.According to Israel, Hamas is operating a command center in tunnels under the hospital, a claim the US has also supported, citing intelligence.At the same time, the name of any Canadian is not included among the people leaving through the Rafah border crossing for Wednesday.Even on Tuesday, no person belonging to Canada could cross the border.Only 10 people belonging to Canada were able to reach Egypt on Monday, including a total of 356 Canadians and thei
gaza-exit-list-to-have-more-canadians-266-people-to-leave-gaza
CanadaNov 10, 2023

Gaza exit list to have more Canadians, 266 people to leave Gaza

Some 266 Canadian citizens, permanent residents and their family members had their names added to the list of foreign passport holders allowed to exit the Gaza Strip today.Officials at the Rafah border crossing into Egypt were expected to start processing the latest batch of people looking to flee the latest Israel-Hamas conflict around 7 a.m. local time.Another 32 people connected to Canada were able to leave the Gaza Strip on Thursday, after an initial 75 citizens, permanent residents and family members made the trip on Tuesday.No Canadians were able to cross via official means on Wednesday
canadians-and-other-foreign-nationals-still-waiting-for-border-crossing-to-reopen
CanadaNov 09, 2023

Canadians and other foreign nationals still waiting for border crossing to reopen

A key crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt has remained closed today as hundreds of people connected to Canada await news of when and whether they will be able to escape the besieged Palestinian territory.The federal government confirmed that no Canadians were able to leave the Gaza Strip on Wednesday because of a closure of the Rafah border crossing.A U.S. State Department spokesperson told reporters on Wednesday that the closure was because of a "security circumstance," but offered little additional detail.Global Affairs Canada says Canadian officials in Egypt remain ready to welcome th
pm-trudeau-to-travel-to-san-francisco-to-participate-in-apec-summit
CanadaNov 08, 2023

PM Trudeau to travel to San Francisco to participate in APEC Summit

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to travel to San Francisco next week for the annual Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly and International Trade Minister Mary Ng are also to take part in the visit Nov. 15-17.A statement from the Prime Minister's Office suggests Trudeau will be focused on ways to fuel climate-friendly economic growth with Canada's allies and partners.The Canadian delegation will be focused on facilitating trade, identifying opportunities in the digital space and economic empowerment for women.Trudeau is also vowing to foster

Just In

BCAug 20, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Charged in Connection With Two Grass Fires in Vernon

A 33-year-old woman has been charged with six serious offences in connection with two separate grass fires that occurred in Vernon, in B.C.’s Okanagan region, on Aug. 4. According to Vernon North Okanagan RCMP, the first fire was reported on Kammenz Road near Bench Row Road in the afternoon. About 20 minutes later, a second fire was discovered at Carlson Park. Following an investigation, police arrested 33-year-old Maria Benning Bear, a resident of West Kelowna, on Aug. 14. She is facing six serious charges, including arson, mischief causing property damage, possession of incendiary material
senior-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-translink-bus-in-surrey
BCAug 20, 2026

Senior Man Dies After Being Struck by TransLink Bus in Surrey

A senior man who was seriously injured after being struck by a TransLink bus in Surrey last month has died in hospital. According to the Surrey Police Service, the man, believed to be between 60 and 65 years old, was found seriously injured at the intersection of 128 Street and 96 Avenue at around 9:41 p.m. on July 11. Paramedics rushed him to hospital, where he later died while undergoing treatment. Police believe the incident occurred near a bus stop. The initial investigation has ruled out factors such as excessive speed and impairment as possible causes of the crash. SPS is asking anyone w
AlbertaAug 20, 2026

Alberta to Host Second Town Hall on AI Data Centre Plans in Sturgeon County

Alberta Technology Minister Nate Glubish is set to host the province’s second town hall on its plans for artificial intelligence data centres on Thursday in Redwater, north of Edmonton. The event comes amid growing concerns over the environmental and economic impacts of large-scale AI facilities. Redwater is in Sturgeon County, where tech giant Meta is planning a $13-billion AI data centre project. The proposed facility would be a major investment in the region and is expected to be one of Canada’s largest data centres. The town hall follows a contentious meeting in Lacombe on Wednesday,
cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi