17.93°C Vancouver

News

white-house-says-tariffs-moving-forward-but-theres-still-room-for-negotiation
CanadaFeb 26, 2025

White House says tariffs moving forward but there's still room for negotiation

U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to hit Canada and Mexico with devastating duties is set to take effect next week but a White House official confirmed on background that the tariff plans could change through negotiations. Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until March 4 after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border. The president said the pause would allow time to reach a "final economic deal." Trump said Monday that the levies would be going forward on schedule — but
a-sudan-military-plane-crashes-killing-at-least-19-people
WorldFeb 26, 2025

A Sudan military plane crashes, killing at least 19 people

A Sudanese military aircraft crashed in the city of Omdurman, killing at least 19 people, military and health officials said Wednesday. The Antonov aircraft crashed Tuesday while taking off from the Wadi Sayidna airbase north of Omdurman, the military said in a terse statement. Omdurman is the sister city of the capital, Khartoum. The military said military personnel and civilians were killed in the crash but didn’t disclose how many. It didn’t say what caused the crash. The health ministry, however, said at least 19 people were killed, whose bodies were transferred to the Nau in Omdurman.
dbs-bank-announces-job-cuts-due-to-ai-but-new-opportunities-also-expected
WorldFeb 25, 2025

DBS Bank Announces Job Cuts Due to AI, But New Opportunities Also Expected

Singapore's largest bank, DBS, has announced that up to 4,000 employees could lose their jobs due to artificial intelligence over the next three to four years. A DBS spokesperson clarified that the layoffs will primarily impact temporary and contract employees. The bank's CEO, Piyush Gupta, stated that approximately 1,000 new AI-related jobs will be created in the coming years. However, the company did not specify how many employees would be laid off in Singapore. DBS currently employs between 8,000 and 9,000 temporary and contract workers, out of a total workforce of 41,000. Last year, CEO P
us-breaks-with-europe-on-the-russia-ukraine-war
WorldFeb 25, 2025

US Breaks with Europe on the Russia-Ukraine War

U.S. has reversed its stance on the Ukraine war. Under the Trump administration, the U.S. has supported Russia in the United Nations. In fact, three resolutions were brought to the United Nations on Monday, seeking to end the three-year-old conflict. America voted against these resolutions, marking the first time it has taken a position contrary to its European allies on the Russia-Ukraine issue. Specifically, America voted against a resolution proposed by Europe in the United Nations, which condemned Russia's aggression and supported Ukraine's territorial integrity. As a result, significant
over-170-000-canadians-petition-to-revoke-elon-musks-citizenship
WorldFeb 24, 2025

Over 170,000 Canadians Petition to Revoke Elon Musk’s Citizenship

More than 170,000 people in Canada have signed a parliamentary petition urging the government to revoke Elon Musk’s Canadian citizenship. The petition, launched by BC-based author Qualia Reed and sponsored by NDP MP Charlie Angus, is currently being reviewed by the House of Commons. The petition claims that Elon Musk has engaged in activities that are detrimental to Canada’s national interest. It accuses the tech billionaire of supporting policies of President Donald Trump that undermine Canadian sovereignty, as Musk is one of Trump's top advisers. Born in South Africa, Musk obtained Cana
trump-makes-big-claim-about-canceling-21-million-funding-for-india
CanadaFeb 21, 2025

Trump Makes Big Claim About Canceling $21 Million Funding for India

US President Donald Trump has claimed that he canceled $21 million in funding allocated for India. He suggested that the previous US administration may have used this funding to influence the election of a leader other than Prime Minister Narendra Modi in India. Trump questioned the reasoning behind the United States providing financial support to increase voter turnout in India, especially considering India’s strong economy. He indicated that this funding might have been intended to support another political figure and stated his intention to share further details with India. Meanwhile, In
trump-loyalist-kash-patel-is-confirmed-as-fbi-director-by-the-senate-despite-deep-democratic-doubts
WorldFeb 21, 2025

Trump loyalist Kash Patel is confirmed as FBI director by the Senate despite deep Democratic doubts

The Senate on Thursday narrowly voted to confirm Kash Patel as director of the FBI, moving to place him a top the nation's premier federal law enforcement agency despite doubts from Democrats about his qualifications and concerns he will do Donald Trump's bidding and go after the Republican president's adversaries. A Trump loyalist who has fiercely criticized the agency, Patel will inherit an FBI gripped by turmoil as the Justice Department over the past month has forced out a group of senior bureau officials and made a highly unusual demand for the names of thousands of agents who participat
canada-triumphs-over-us-in-4-nations-final
CanadaFeb 21, 2025

Canada triumphs over US in 4 Nations final

Canada defeated its archrival the United States 3-2 in overtime in the 4 Nations Face-Off final on Thursday night in what was an emotionally-charged affair for players and fans alike. The rematch between the two sides was intense, although it did not consist of three fights in the opening nine seconds, as the preliminary round game in Montreal did last Saturday, a 3-1 win for the Americans. Connor McDavid scored the game winner, while Nathan MacKinnon and Sam Bennett scored in regulation for Canada. Brady Tkachuk and Jake Sanderson replied for the U.S. The Canadian national anthem was booed l
trump-mocks-trudeau-ahead-of-4-nations-face-off-final
CanadaFeb 20, 2025

Trump Mocks Trudeau Ahead of 4 Nations Face-Off Final

President Donald Trump has once again targeted Canada. In a social media post, he mentioned that he would be watching the 4 Nations Face-Off final tonight between Canada and the United States. He also extended an invitation to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau by calling him 'Governor Trudeau'. Trump made this comment on his Truth Social platform, noting that while he wouldn't attend the game in person, he would be supporting the team by encouraging them over the phone. The special hockey tournament features players from Canada, the United States, Sweden, and Finland. The match between C

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees