18.74°C Vancouver

News

former-vancouver-canucks-forward-jake-virtanen-found-not-guilty-of-sexual-assault
BCJul 27, 2022

Former Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen found not guilty of sexual assault

Former Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen wept openly as he was found not guilty of sexual assault. A BC Supreme Court jury in Vancouver announced its decision after several hours of deliberations that began yesterday and continued this morning. Virtanen was charged in January with sexual assault after a now-23-year-old woman alleged she was assaulted in his hotel room in 2017. Virtanen was placed on leave after the allegations surfaced last year and the Canucks then bought out his contract.
heat-warnings-now-cover-all-but-the-edges-of-b-c
BCJul 27, 2022

Heat warnings now cover all but the edges of B.C.

Heat warnings now cover all but the edges of the province as Environment Canada warns today could be one of the hottest in an ongoing heat wave. Temperatures up to 40 degrees are forecast for parts of central and southeastern BC, including the Kamloops area, the Okanagan, parts of the Kootenays and the Fraser Canyon, where a wildfire continues to burn, unchecked, west of Lytton. Heat in the mid to high 30's is expected in many other parts of BC away from the water and cooling centres have been set up in most communities because hot conditions by day, and little relief at night, have the poten
freedom-convoy-organizer-tamara-lich-gets-bail
CanadaJul 27, 2022

'Freedom Convoy' organizer Tamara Lich gets bail

``Freedom Convoy'' organizer Tamara Lich (LEECH) has once again been ordered released from jail. The Ontario Superior Court found errors in the decision to revoke her bail two weeks ago. Lich was arrested on a Canada-wide warrant at the end of June for an alleged breach of her bail conditions, after she was photographed with a fellow convoy protest organizer at an awards gala in Toronto. Superior Court Justice Andrew Goodman says the justice of the peace made several legal errors. But he warned Lich the authorities are watching her every move and to abide by the letter of her conditions, beca
police-release-photos-of-gunman-and-seek-witnesses-to-shootings-in-langley-b-c
BCJul 27, 2022

Police release photos of gunman and seek witnesses to shootings in Langley, B.C.

Police have released photographs of a 28-year-old gunman, as they seek witnesses to Monday's shooting rampage in Langley, B.C., that left two victims dead and two wounded. The photos show Jordan Daniel Goggin wearing two outfits during the course of the shootings, which began around midnight and lasted nearly six hours before police shot and killed him.The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team describes Goggin as a six-foot-one Caucasian man, weighing 150 pounds, with light brown hair and a slight goatee.He is seen wearing a black T-shirt and board shorts, before police say he changed into br
sport-minister-pascale-st-onge-says-she-did-not-know-of-the-hockey-canada-allegations-until-this-year
CanadaJul 26, 2022

Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge says she did not know of the Hockey Canada allegations until this year

Michel Ruest, a senior director of Sport Canada, says the federal organization was made aware of an alleged sexual assault involving members of Team Canada's world junior hockey team in late June 2018, but did not follow up with Hockey Canada at the time. Under questioning at a House of Commons committee today, Ruest also tells MPs that Sport Canada, a branch of Canadian Heritage, did not make then-sport minister Kirsty Duncan's office aware of the allegations. Current Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge has said she did not know of the allegations until this year. Sport Canada officials have been
heart-breaks-for-victims-trudeau-says-of-those-involved-in-langley-b-c-shooting
BCJul 26, 2022

'Heart breaks for victims,' Trudeau says of those involved in Langley, B.C., shooting

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expressing his shock at a shooting rampage in Langley, BC. Two people were killed and two others were wounded before police shot David Goggin dead. In a post on Twitter, Trudeau says his heart breaks for the victims' loved ones and communities. BC Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the ``senseless act of violence'' is ``extremely disturbing.'' PM Justin Trudeau on Twitter: I’m horrified by the news that came out of Langley, BC yesterday. My heart breaks for the victims’ loved ones and communities, and my thoughts are with the people who were injure
CanadaJul 26, 2022

Pope Francis holds open air public mass in Edmonton

Priests, deacons and volunteers meted out communion wafers to tens of thousands of people at a public mass led by Pope Francis in Edmonton. Francis highlighted the importance of parents and grandparents as he delivered his homily to a packed Commonwealth Stadium. He says people should treasure and honour their elders and make sure they are not cast aside or treated with indifference. Pope Francis, who has been using a wheelchair, presided over a large public mass in Edmonton from a specially designed chair. Pope Francis is on a six-day tour of Canada aimed at reconciliation with Indigenous Pe
ed-questions-sonia-gandhi-delhi-police-roughs-up-indian-youth-congress-chief-srinivas
IndiaJul 26, 2022

ED questions Sonia Gandhi: Delhi Police roughs up Indian Youth Congress chief Srinivas

Delhi Police personnel on Tuesday were seen grabbing Indian Youth Congress chief Srinivas BV by the hair and forcing him into a vehicle during a protest against the questioning of Congress interim president Sonia Gandhi by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in the National Herald case. Srinivas was seen shouting and resisting attempts by police to subdue him. Sonia Gandhi's second round of questioning in connection with the National Herald case began earlier Tuesday. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi along with several party leaders was detained by Delhi Police on Tuesday at Vijay Chowk during MPs
salvage-work-begins-to-remove-barge-stuck-for-months-on-vancouver-beach
BCJul 26, 2022

Salvage work begins to remove barge stuck for months on Vancouver beach

Work is finally underway in Vancouver's English Bay to remove a huge barge that has been washed up on the beach for eight months. A company has begun drilling piles into the shoreline to anchor the barge while it is cut apart and removed.The city of Vancouver has said placement of the pilings is the first step in the removal process estimated to take three to four months to complete.The barge broke free of its moorings during a fierce storm and extremely high tide last November.It washed up high on the sand and rocks near Sunset Beach, defeating all efforts to drag it free earlier this year.Va

Just In

poilievre-unveils-action-plan-to-combat-extortion-during-surrey-visit
BCAug 20, 2025

Poilievre unveils action plan to combat extortion during Surrey visit

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre unveiled a three-point action plan to combat extortion-related crime during a press conference held today at the Royal King Banquet Hall in Surrey -the same location where a shooting incident took place on July 21, 2025. Flanked by Abbotsford–South Langley MP Sukhman Gill, and candidates Sukh Pandher and Jassie Sahota (a police officer), Poilievre said extortion-related crimes have surged by 330% under Liberal rule. He attributed this rise to the repeal of mandatory jail terms for gun-related extortion under Bills C-5 and C-75. “Extortion-related
police-say-man-charged-after-alberta-youth-launch-catch-a-predator-scheme
AlbertaAug 20, 2025

Police say man charged after Alberta youth launch 'catch a predator' scheme

Alberta RCMP say they have arrested and charged a Calgary man who, it was later determined, had been the focus of a ``catch a predator'' sting operation hatched by a group of youngsters. Mounties say the situation came to light in Airdrie on Monday night when a 12-year-old boy was abducted in a car only to escape at a stoplight and call police. The suspect, a 37-year-old, refused to stop for police and was later arrested at a Calgary residence. Subsequently, police said they learned the suspect had been targeted by at least seven youths in a ``catch a predator'' scheme. The you
some-evacuation-orders-alerts-linked-to-vancouver-island-wildfire-lifted
BCAug 20, 2025

Some evacuation orders, alerts linked to Vancouver Island wildfire lifted

Some of the evacuation orders and alerts linked to the Mount Underwood wildfire on Vancouver Island have been lifted or downgraded, as firefighters report "minimal" behaviour from the blaze. The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District, the City of Port Alberni and the Tseshaht First Nation jointly issued an update at 8 a.m. saying evacuation orders are lifted for the China Creek Campground and Headquarters Bay, which remain on evacuation alert. The update also says that the City of Port Alberni and the Tseshaht First Nation's reserves are no longer under alert. The Cowichan Valley Regional Distric
police-watchdog-investigates-after-vancouver-officer-shoots-man-dead
BCAug 20, 2025

Police watchdog investigates after Vancouver officer shoots man dead

British Columbia's police watchdog is investigating after a man was shot dead in an alleged confrontation with officers in Vancouver. The Independent Investigations Office says the shooting took place Tuesday afternoon in an East Vancouver neighbourhood. It says there was a dispute between two people, and one man had a weapon when police arrived. The man was shot by police and died at the scene despite life-saving efforts by emergency responders. Vancouver police say the two people involved were neighbours involved in an argument. Police say no officers or other people were injured, and no fur
AlbertaAug 20, 2025

Costs of Manitoba’s extreme wildfire season start to take shape, evacuations ongoing

The Manitoba government has signed a 30-million-dollar contract with the Canadian Red Cross for evacuee support and other services related to this year's wildfires. The recently disclosed contract is the first glimpse into the cost of this year's wildfire season, which provincial officials say is the most severe in at least 30 years. Finance Minister Adrien Sala (SAH'-lah) says it's still too early to estimate a final cost, and the government is committed to supporting people who need help. The Red Cross contract alone is worth more than half of the 50-million dollars the N-D-P gover