3.73°C Vancouver

Jul 26, 2022 9:53 PM - The Canadian Press

Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge says she did not know of the Hockey Canada allegations until this year

Share On
sport-minister-pascale-st-onge-says-she-did-not-know-of-the-hockey-canada-allegations-until-this-year
Current Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge has said she did not know of the allegations until this year. (Photo - Pascal St. Onge/Twitter)

Michel Ruest, a senior director of Sport Canada, says the federal organization was made aware of an alleged sexual assault involving members of Team Canada's world junior hockey team in late June 2018, but did not follow up with Hockey Canada at the time.

Under questioning at a House of Commons committee today, Ruest also tells MPs that Sport Canada, a branch of Canadian Heritage, did not make then-sport minister Kirsty Duncan's office aware of the allegations.

Current Sport Minister Pascale St-Onge has said she did not know of the allegations until this year.

Sport Canada officials have been called to testify as the committee investigates what happened between June 2018, when Hockey Canada, the national governing body, learned of the allegations, and May of this year, when news broke that it settled a lawsuit with the complainant.

Several MPs are grilling them about why Hockey Canada's funding was not cut before June of this year, and why there was no followup on the case.

The woman at the centre of the complaint alleges she was sexually assaulted by eight hockey players, including some members of the 2018 world junior team, after a Hockey Canada gala in London, Ont.

Latest news

police-examine-shooting-that-damaged-home-in-north-surrey
BCNov 27, 2025

Police examine shooting that damaged home in north Surrey

Surrey Police Service and the Surrey RCMP’s Provincial Operations Support Unit say they are reviewing evidence after shots were fired at a home in the Fraser Heights area early Thursday morning. Officers were called around 3:05 am to a residence near 112 Street and 153A Street, where they confirmed the house had been struck by gunfire. Police say no one was hurt. The General Investigation Unit with the RCMP support unit has taken over the file and is gathering surveillance footage and witness statements. Investigators are also checking whether the incident may connect to other recent police
richmond-rcmp-warns-residents-as-sophisticated-grandparent-scams-resurface
BCNov 27, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns residents as sophisticated grandparent scams resurface

Richmond RCMP is urging residents to be cautious after a recent rise in reports of so-called grandparent scams, a type of fraud that often targets seniors but can impact anyone who receives an unexpected call claiming a loved one is in trouble. Investigators say the scams share a common pattern in which suspects create panic and pressure victims into paying large sums of money. Police say one of the latest cases involved a caller pretending to be an official with a foreign embassy. The scammer told the victim that their grandson had been detained and that urgent bail money was required. The vi
mission-rcmp-seeks-public-assistance-after-violent-home-invasion-and-weapons-theft
BCNov 27, 2025

Mission RCMP seeks public assistance after violent home invasion and weapons theft

Mission RCMP says investigators are searching for two outstanding suspects after a violent home invasion earlier this month that left several residents injured and resulted in the theft of multiple long guns. Police were called to a home around 1:30 a.m. on November 13, where intruders allegedly forced their way inside, used pepper spray on the occupants, and struck one person with a crowbar. Officers say one suspect was injured during the altercation with the homeowner before fleeing. About half an hour later, staff at a local hospital reported that a man with suspicious injuries had been dro
ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act. Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban
akal-takht-acting-jathedar-meets-family-of-slain-jalandhar-teen-calls-for-strongest-penalties
IndiaNov 27, 2025

Akal Takht acting Jathedar meets family of slain Jalandhar teen, calls for strongest penalties

The acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargajj, met with the family of a 13-year-old girl who was killed during an alleged attempted sexual assault in Jalandhar, urging authorities to pursue the maximum punishment allowed under law. The visit comes as community members continue to express concern about the handling of the case. During the meeting, the Jathedar offered prayers for the victim and received a detailed account of the events from the family. He assured them that the Panth’s highest temporal seat, along with the broader Sikh community, supports the family as the

Related News