17.48°C Vancouver

News

trudeau-government-mum-on-why-the-newly-minted-chief-of-defence-staff-is-being-investigated-for-misconduct
CanadaFeb 26, 2021

Trudeau government mum on why the newly-minted chief of defence staff is being investigated for misconduct

The Trudeau government is keeping mum on why the newly-minted chief of defence staff is being investigated for misconduct. Admiral Art McDonald has stepped aside for now. In the House of Commons today, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole tried, but failed, to get answers about the investigation -- and whether there are any other probes going on in the military. Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland acknowledged the investigation in the House of Commons, but revealed no details. She would only say the government takes misconduct allegations seriously. Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan revealed lat
WorldFeb 25, 2021

Lady Gaga's dog walker shot, French bulldogs stolen in LA

Lady Gaga's dog walker was shot and two of the singer's French bulldogs were stolen in Hollywood during an armed robbery, police said. The singer is offering a $500,000 reward. The dog walker was shot once Wednesday night and is expected to survive his injuries, according to Los Angeles Police Capt. Jonathan Tippett, commanding officer of the department's elite Robbery-Homicide Division. The man was walking three of Lady Gaga's dogs at the time but one escaped. That dog has been recovered safely. Tippett told The Associated Press that the dogs belong to pop star Lady Gaga. It's not yet clear
reasons-given-for-allowing-men-guilty-in-surrey-six-case-an-abuse-of-process-hearing
BCFeb 25, 2021

Reasons given for allowing men guilty in Surrey Six case an abuse-of-process hearing

The British Columbia Court of Appeal has revealed its reasons for allowing two men found guilty of the first-degree murders of six people in an apartment building in Surrey, B.C., a new hearing to argue an abuse of process. The ruling last month quashed the convictions of Cody Haevischer and Matthew Johnston in the so-called "Surrey Six" case but stopped short of ordering a new trial. The Appeal Court released a brief statement announcing the decision in January, saying lawyers needed time to redact the reasons for judgment to protect confidential information, and the edited reasons were relea
unifor-says-transit-authority-has-been-slow-to-reveal-information-about-decembers-cyberattack
BCFeb 25, 2021

Unifor says, transit authority has been slow to reveal information about December's cyberattack

The union representing thousands of transit operators in Metro Vancouver says it has no confidence that it will get answers to questions about a major data breach that affected workers. Unifor says the transit authority has been slow to reveal information about December's cyberattack. Unifor president Jerry Dias says he's urging TransLink to take a collaborative approach to problem-solving. TransLink spokeswoman Jill Drews says affected employees began receiving personal notification letters specific to their situation and how they were affected, which were not shared with the union. UNIFOR o
whos-head-of-europe-unit-says-patients-suffering-long-covid-symptoms-need-to-be-heard
WorldFeb 25, 2021

WHO's head of Europe unit says, patients suffering long COVID symptoms need to be heard

The World Health Organization's Europe unit is reporting that about one in 10 people who contracted COVID-19 continue to show "persistent ill health" 12 weeks after infection. Dr. Hans Kluge, the head of WHO Europe, says much about so-called "long COVID" remains unknown, but the "burden is real, and it is significant." In a policy brief released on Thursday, WHO Europe urged policymakers to do more to acknowledge and treat long COVID, which can bring severe fatigue, chest pain, heart inflammation, headache, forgetfulness, depression, loss of smell, recurrent fever, diarrhea and ringing in the
centre-ready-to-talk-to-farmers-at-any-time-agriculture-minister-tomar
IndiaFeb 25, 2021

Centre ready to talk to farmers at any time: Agriculture Minister Tomar

Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar on Thursday reiterated that the central government is ready to talk to protesting farmers at any time. While speaking to the media here, Tomar said that the farmer unions, which have been protesting against the farm laws for nearly three months, have not given their feedback on the centre's proposal of putting the farm laws on hold for 1.5 years. "We have held 12 rounds of talks with the farmers. We are ready to talk to farmers anytime. We can't implement the farm laws as the matter is with Supreme Court. The Supreme Court constituted committee i
military-reeling-as-new-defence-chief-steps-aside-amid-allegations-of-misconduct
CanadaFeb 25, 2021

Military reeling as new defence chief steps aside amid allegations of misconduct

The Canadian Armed Forces is reeling this morning with news chief of the defence staff Admiral Art McDonald is being investigated for misconduct.Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan revealed late last night McDonald has voluntarily stepped aside while military police investigate.The stunning development comes just over a month after McDonald took over as commander of the Canadian military from Gen. Jonathan Vance, who is also under investigation after allegations of inappropriate behaviour.Vance has denied any wrongdoing and McDonald has not commented.Former naval reservist Marie-Claude Gagnon, who
toolkit-case-delhi-court-grants-interim-protection-from-arrest-to-shantanu-muluk-till-march-9
IndiaFeb 25, 2021

Toolkit case: Delhi court grants interim protection from arrest to Shantanu Muluk till March 9

A Delhi Court on Thursday granted interim protection from arrest to Shantanu Muluk till March 9 in ongoing in the 'toolkit' document case related to the farmers' protest.Additional Sessions Judge Dharmender Rana also adjourned the matter for March 9 after Delhi Police sought time to file a detailed and comprehensive reply.Additional Public Prosecutor Irfan Ahmed sought seven days time to file a detailed and comprehensive reply submitting that investigating agency needs to confront him as there are contradictory replies given by the accused person.Appearing for Muluk, advocate Vrinda Grover sai
police-issue-over-900-in-tickets-to-two-bc-ferries-passengers-for-not-wearing-masks
BCFeb 25, 2021

Police issue over $900 in tickets to two BC Ferries passengers for not wearing masks

Police say they issued tickets totalling over $900 to two BC Ferries passengers for refusing to follow COVID-19 safety protocols while on board.Nanaimo RCMP say in a news release they were called to the Departure Bay ferry terminal to meet the Queen of Cowichan, which was arriving from Horseshoe Bay just after midnight Sunday, to escort two women off the vessel. They say the women, aged 19 and 43, ignored the mask requirement on board and were heard yelling and screaming at staff. RCMP arrested them for being intoxicated in a public place but later decided not to lay criminal charges. They say

Just In

richmond-rcmp-warns-public-about-job-posters-written-in-simplified-chinese
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns public about job posters written in Simplified Chinese

Richmond RCMP is warning the public about job advertisement posters targeted to the Chinese community. The posters are written in Simplified Chinese, and posted on various light posts throughout the City. The job posters advertise various types of employment such as vacation home house-sitter, care giver for the elderly, and tea leaves packager. The posters provide a brief description of the job, and a contact phone number. Investigators have reason to believe that these posters may be used to solicit personal information which may be used to identify potential scam targets. In one case, a vic
richmond-rcmp-reminds-drivers-to-slow-down-as-students-return-to-school
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP reminds drivers to slow down as students return to school

As students head back to school this September, Richmond RCMP is reminding drivers and parents to take extra care on the roads. Richmond roads will be busier this September as many people return from summer holidays and children return to school. Drivers are reminded to allow extra travel time, reduce speed, and avoid distractions by leaving your phone alone while driving. Watch for children and multimodal road users, especially near schools, parks, and residential areas. According to ICBC data, three children are killed and 402 injured in crashes while walking or cycling in B.C. every year. 5
poilievre-wants-reasonable-self-defence-defined-in-criminal-code
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Poilievre wants 'reasonable' self-defence defined in Criminal Code

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants the government to amend the Criminal Code to say that the use of force is presumed to be reasonable to defend your home is someone breaks into it. He says if the government doesn't do this, his party will introduce a private member's bill aimed at making the change this fall during a press conference in Brampton, Ont.. This comes after a 44-year-old Lindsay, Ont. man was charged with assault in an altercation after a man with a crossbow allegedly broke into his apartment. The alleged intruder, a 41-year-old man also from Lindsay, was airlifted to hosp
fort-st-john-rcmp-arrest-two-males-and-execute-search-warrant-in-drug-investigation
BCAug 29, 2025

Fort St John RCMP arrest two males and execute search warrant in drug investigation

On August 15, 2025, the Fort St John RCMP Street Enforcement Team completed a drug trafficking investigation with the search of a hotel room near 93 Avenue and 100 Street in Fort St John, BC. The search followed the arrest of two males that day after they attempted to flee from Police in the parking lot of the hotel. The incident resulted in damage to police vehicles and the suspect vehicle. Inside the suspect vehicle, Police located drugs, currency and two loaded handguns; one of which had been converted to fire fully automatic. Police executed a search warrant on the room the males were sta
police-charge-18-year-old-man-after-three-people-stabbed-at-calgary-stampede
AlbertaAug 29, 2025

Police charge 18-year-old man after three people stabbed at Calgary Stampede

Police have charged a man with three counts of aggravated assault for stabbings at the Calgary Stampede last month. Police say they identified the 18-year-old following an extensive investigation that included witness interviews and camera footage. Officers executed a search warrant of the suspect's house and seized a folding knife and clothing they say believe are consistent with the stabbings. The man is scheduled to appear in court next week. Three males were stabbed in an area of the Stampede midway, including two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. Police have said all three