15.24°C Vancouver

Aug 19, 2024 4:10 PM - The Canadian Press

Union serves 72-hour strike notice to CPKC

Share On
union-serves-72-hour-strike-notice-to-cpkc
The union representing thousands of workers at Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. says it has served a 72-hour strike notice to the railway.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Here is a roundup of stories from The Canadian Press designed to bring you up to speed...

Union serves 72-hour strike notice to CPKC

More than 9,000 workers at Canada's two major railways could be either on strike or locked out as of Thursday, disrupting supply chains relied upon by many industries.

The union representing thousands of workers at Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. says it has served a 72-hour strike notice to the railway.

The Teamsters Canada Rail Conference issued a news release saying unless the parties can reach a last-minute agreement, workers will be off the job as of 12:01 a.m. Eastern time Thursday.

Not long after the union's statement, CN Rail issued a notice that it intends to lock workers out at that same time unless an agreement or binding arbitration is achieved.

The company says no meaningful progress has occurred despite weekend labour negotiations.

Here's what else we're watching...

Jasper making progress on path back to normal

The people of Jasper are making progress on getting back to normal after being allowed back to their town, cleaning their homes, re-uniting with neighbours and seeking insurance information.

Friday was the first day residents were allowed back after a wildfire forced the evacuation of the entire community, which eventually lost close to one third of its structures in the blaze.

Over the weekend, Parks Canada announced the status of the Jasper Wildfire Complex had changed from out-of-control to being held, and an evacuation alert that advised returning residents to be ready to flee again on an hour's notice was dropped.

Parks Canada and municipal officials will provide updates at a news conference later today in nearby Hinton, and afterwards media are expected to get their first chance to visit Jasper.

The town says that on the first day of re-entry, more than 500 people visited the support centre at Commemoration Park, 350 people visited the insurance tent, 120 appliances were picked and ATCO Gas completed 335 service re-lights.

Lich, Barber's lawyers argue for acquittal

An Ottawa court is expected to hear final arguments for acquittal from the legal teams of two "Freedom Convoy" figureheads today.

Tamara Lich and Chris Barber are fighting criminal charges for their role in organizing the protest in 2022, which brought massive crowds and thousands of big rig trucks to downtown Ottawa for weeks, in opposition to pandemic restrictions.

The two are charged with mischief, intimidation and counselling others to break the law, but their trial has been legally complicated and marked with dozens of starts and stops since it began last September.

Today marks day four of closing arguments, and the court is expected to hear first from Barber's counsel before Lich's lawyers deliver their final submissions.

Barber's lawyer Diane Magas told the court last week that her client is not responsible for the individual actions of protest participants.

Hurricane Ernesto to bring N.L. heavy rain, waves

An Environment Canada meteorologist says Newfoundland is expected to see big waves and downpours starting today as Hurricane Ernesto makes its way through the region.

Chris Fogarty with the Canadian Hurricane Centre predicts the storm will weaken in intensity as it moves over the colder Newfoundland and Labrador waters.

Ernesto made landfall in Bermuda on Saturday and weakened into a tropical storm, but regained strength on Sunday and was once again classified as a hurricane by that evening.

Fogarty says Ernesto will likely bring large waves to the Avalon Peninsula and heavy rain in the St. John's area that is expected to hit late Monday and continue into Tuesday.

Fogarty says those living near the coast should prepare for pounding waves, and residents in the southern part of the Avalon Peninsula should brace for potential damage to docks, breakwaters and other structures close to the waterfront.

Underconsumption trend goes viral on social media

A trend called underconsumption has taken social media by storm.

The trend sees users boast about how they're continuing to make use of the things they already own and repurpose household items instead of buying new ones, all while saving money along the way.

Experts say this trend of underconsuming is essentially a rebrand of minimalism, which has some roots in the current economic conditions and high joblessness that has particularly affected young people.

Canada's unemployment rate has been steadily rising, hitting 6.4 per cent in July, data from Statistics Canada shows, as high interest rates slow the economy. However, young people have been hit particularly hard, with the youth unemployment rate reaching 14.2 per cent in July.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News