16.65°C Vancouver

Aug 15, 2024 5:34 PM - The Associated Press

Ukrainian President Zelenskyy says Kyiv troops have full control of the Russian town of Sudzha

Share On
ukrainian-president-zelenskyy-says-kyiv-troops-have-full-control-of-the-russian-town-of-sudzha
The town, the largest that Ukraine has reportedly seized so far, had a prewar population of around 5,000 people.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Thursday that Kyiv troops have full control of the Russian town of Sudzha in the Kursk region in their incursion into Russian territory.

The town, the largest that Ukraine has reportedly seized so far, had a prewar population of around 5,000 people. Natural gas flows from West Siberian gas fields through pipes that pass through Sudzha and cross the Ukrainian border into Ukraine’s system.

Zelenskyy said a Ukrainian military commander’s office is being set up in Sudzha. He didn’t elaborate on the details or the functions of the office.

The claims couldn’t be independently verified.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — A Ukrainian drone attack on Russian air bases damaged at least two hangars and other areas, satellite images analyzed by The Associated Press on Thursday show.

Images taken Wednesday by Planet Labs PBC analyzed by the AP show that two hangars at Borisoglebsk Air Base had been struck, with a field of debris seen around both. It was not immediately clear what purpose the hangars served. There also appeared to be damage potentially done to two fighter aircraft at the base.

Separately, at Savasleika Air Base, one burn mark could be seen on the apron in images Wednesday, though there was no apparent damage visible to the fighter jets and other aircraft there.

Kursk acting Governor Alexei Smirnov on Thursday ordered the evacuation of the Glushkovo region, about 45 kilometers (28 miles) northwest of Sudzha, where heavy battles are taking place, as Ukraine's daring incursion into the bordering Kursk region entered its second week.

The evacuation order suggests Ukrainian forces are gradually advancing toward the area. Authorities say more than 120,000 residents in the Kursk region already have been evacuated.

At a facility receiving evacuees, Tatyana Anikeyeva told of her flight from the fighting. “We were rushing from Sudzha. … We hid in the bushes. Volunteers were handing out water, food, bread to people on the go. The sound of the cannonade continued without any break. The house was shaking,” she told Russian state television.

Evacuees milled around and waited in long lines for food and other supplies. One man stroked his pet dog and tried to comfort her, while saying that he felt nauseous and couldn’t eat himself.

Russia also declared a federal-level state of emergency in the Belgorod region. A regional-level state of emergency had been declared a day earlier in Belgorod, and the change in status suggests officials believe the situation is worsening and hampering the region’s ability to deliver aid.

Residents who suffer severe health damage will be eligible to receive payments of up to 600,000 rubles ($6,600). Those who experience a loss of property are eligible for up to 150,000 rubles ($1,700), Russia’s Emergencies Ministry said.

Ukraine’s chief military officer, Gen. Oleksandr Syrskyi declared that Ukrainian forces have taken 1,000 square kilometers (about 390 square miles) of the Kursk region. That claim couldn’t be independently verified. The contact lines in Kursk have remained fluid, allowing both sides to maneuver easily unlike the static frontline in eastern Ukraine where it has taken Russian forces months to achieve even incremental gains.

Russian military bloggers have claimed that Russian reserves arriving in the region have stemmed Ukrainian advances, but they also noted that Ukrainian small mechanized groups have continued to probe Russian defenses.

Speaking to reporters at the U.N. on Wednesday, Russia’s Deputy U.N. Ambassador Dmitry Polyansky dismissed Syrskyi’s claim of having gained 1,000 square kilometers of the Russian territory.

“What’s happening in Kursk is the incursion of terrorist sabotage groups, so there is no front line as such,” Polyansky said. “There is an incursion because there are forests that are very difficult to control.”

He said Ukrainian troops in the forests will be singled out and eliminated within “a very brief period of time.”

Polyansky called the Ukrainian incursion an “absolutely reckless and mad operation,” and said Ukraine's aim to force Russia to move its troops from eastern Ukraine is not happening because “we have enough troops there.”

Latest news

AlbertaMay 15, 2026

Alberta legislature adjourns spring sitting amid separatism debate

Alberta MLAs wrapped up the spring sitting of the legislature this week following months of debate that frequently centred on separatist sentiment and political divisions at the legislature. The sitting included government legislation on issues ranging from public library materials to medical assistance in dying. However, exchanges in question period were often dominated by disagreements over separatism and the role of Premier Danielle Smith’s United Conservative government in responding to the movement. Government House Leader Joseph Schow said the United Conservative Party focused its legi
senior-critically-injured-two-vancouver-police-officers-hurt-after-west-end-vehicle-incident
BCMay 15, 2026

Senior critically injured, two Vancouver police officers hurt after West End vehicle incident

A senior citizen remains in critical condition and two Vancouver Police Department officers were hospitalized after a driver allegedly rammed multiple vehicles and drove through part of Nelson Park in Vancouver’s West End early Friday morning.According to Vancouver police, the incident began around 5:30 a.m. near Comox and Broughton streets when a vehicle was seen driving erratically and striking several objects, including an area near the Nelson Park dog park. Witnesses in the area reportedly moved out of the vehicle’s path to avoid being hit.Police said the injured senior was operating a
man-charged-after-surrey-shooting-that-injured-woman
BCMay 15, 2026

Man charged after Surrey shooting that injured woman

A 31-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service investigation into a November 2025 shooting that injured a woman inside a Surrey residence. Police said frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired at a home near 121 Street and 101B Avenue at about 9:10 p.m. on Nov. 23, 2025. According to Surrey Police Service, a female resident suffered a gunshot wound to the thigh and officers provided emergency medical aid until BC Emergency Health Services arrived. The SPS Major Crime Section led the investigation. Police said investigators identified a suspect and associated
death-toll-rises-to-24-after-russian-missile-strike-on-kyiv-apartment-building-zelenskyy-says
WorldMay 15, 2026

Death toll rises to 24 after Russian missile strike on Kyiv apartment building, Zelenskyy says

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday that the death toll from a Russian missile strike on a Kyiv apartment building has risen to 24, including three children, after emergency crews completed search operations at the site. In posts published on X, Zelenskyy said rescue workers spent more than a day clearing debris from the damaged nine-storey residential building following Thursday’s attack. Ukrainian officials also reported 48 people injured in the broader assault on the capital, including two children. According to the Ukrainian air force, the strike formed part of what offic
911-communications-workers-in-b-c-vote-95-in-favour-of-strike-action
BCMay 15, 2026

911 communications workers in B.C. vote 95% in favour of strike action

A union representing more than 700 emergency communications workers in British Columbia says members have voted 95 per cent in favour of strike action as contract negotiations continue with E-Comm, the organization that operates many of the province’s 911 call services. CUPE 8911 said Thursday the vote reflects concerns among front-line staff about staffing shortages, workload pressures and long-term sustainability within the emergency communications system. The union said workers would be in a legal strike position once an essential services order is finalized through the labour relations p

Related News