16.26°C Vancouver

Sep 25, 2024 4:45 PM - The Canadian Press

Two Canadians dead in Lebanon, as Liberal MP urges more action for de-escalation

Share On
two-canadians-dead-in-lebanon-as-liberal-mp-urges-more-action-for-de-escalation
The Montreal-area MP says the Port of Beirut must be protected from attacks, as it might be the only means of evacuating thousands of Canadians if that is required.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

At least two Canadians have died in the escalating violence in Lebanon, as Israeli strikes kill Hezbollah militants along with civilians and children.

Global Affairs Canada says it is aware of the deaths of two Canadian citizens in Lebanon while another has reached out for help with injuries.

Liberal MP Fayçal El-Khoury was born in Lebanon and says Canada needs to push its peer countries more to stop a cycle in violence in the Middle East, or it could lead to a world war.

He says his cousin who works as an ophthalmologist in Beirut say shocking amounts of bodily trauma in a recent explosion, with numerous people requiring their eyes to be removed.

The Montreal-area MP says the Port of Beirut must be protected from attacks, as it might be the only means of evacuating thousands of Canadians if that is required.

El-Khoury says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will make a statement today about the situation in Lebanon.

Last Friday, Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said close to 45,000 Canadians are in Lebanon. She has been urging them for months to leave while commercial flights are still available.

Israel insists it is trying to convince Hezbollah to stop firing rockets at northern Israel, but Canada's ambassador to the United Nations, Bob Rae, said Monday that Israel must think "more consequentially about what's happening, less impulsively."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters Tuesday that both Israel and Hezbollah must de-escalate.

Latest news

BCAug 20, 2026

Single-Vehicle Collision Leads to Drug Trafficking Investigation

On August 19, 2026, at approximately 8:45 p.m., West Shore RCMP Frontline officers responded to a report of a single-vehicle collision involving a pickup truck near the intersection of Island Highway and Wale Road in Colwood. A witness told police that the vehicle had been performing a burnout before crashing into a telephone pole. Officers attended the scene and identified the driver as a 53-year-old man whose driver's licence had been suspended. Although the driver was determined to be sober, police found evidence of illicit narcotics inside the vehicle during their investigation. The man wa
carney-speaks-with-mexican-president-sheinbaum-on-trade-cusma-and-wildfire-cooperation
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney speaks with Mexican President Sheinbaum on trade, CUSMA and wildfire cooperation

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum to discuss bilateral trade relations and ways to strengthen trade across North America. During the conversation, Carney thanked Sheinbaum for Mexico’s support in Canada’s wildfire response, including the deployment of more than 400 firefighters and support personnel. The two leaders also discussed ongoing developments affecting the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), stressing the importance of advancing the agreement to protect businesses and workers and provide greater stability in trade. Carney
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Advance Voting for 3 Federal By-Elections Begins Friday in Canada

Advance voting for three federal by-elections in Canada is set to begin Friday. According to Elections Canada, advance voting will take place for four consecutive days, from Friday through Monday, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. The by-elections are being held in the federal ridings of North Vancouver–Capilano in British Columbia, Beaches–East York in Toronto, and Chicoutimi–Le Fjord in Quebec. Election Day for all three ridings is scheduled for August 31. The three by-elections are part of a series of federal by-elections being held across Canada this year. Earlier, on April 13, two federal b
WorldAug 20, 2026

43 Dead, 16 Rescued After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria

At least 43 people have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria’s northwestern Sokoto state, while 16 people have been rescued. Local officials said many of those who died were children. Abdulkadir Yusuf, a regional official with the National Inland Waterways Authority, said around 40 bodies had been recovered and rescue operations were continuing. Local lawmaker Nasiru Adamu put the death toll at 43. Residents said the boat was carrying farm owners and workers hired to harvest rice. However, reports differ on the number of people aboard the boat. One resident said more than 70 peo
BCAug 20, 2026

Garbage-Dumping Videos Go Viral in Abbotsford, Police Launch Investigation

Police in Abbotsford have launched an investigation after two separate videos showing garbage being dumped in a waterway and a local park went viral on social media. The two incidents are believed to have occurred in late July. In one video, a woman is seen dumping garbage at Mill Lake Park, while another video shows her dumping garbage near Bluejay Elementary School. According to Sgt. Paul Walker, police had not received any reports about the incidents before the videos went viral. However, after the videos were widely shared, around 30 people contacted or tagged the police department, provid

Related News