19.65°C Vancouver

Jun 9, 2025 5:56 PM - The Canadian Press

Six infants born with congenital measles in Ontario from unvaccinated mothers

Share On
six-infants-born-with-congenital-measles-in-ontario-from-unvaccinated-mothers
He says the infant also faced other serious medical complications unrelated to the virus.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Ontario's chief medical officer of health says six infants have been born with congenital measles since an outbreak began last fall, adding they were infected in the womb through mothers who were not vaccinated.

Dr. Kieran Moore says these infants recovered, but their infections could have been prevented if their mothers had been vaccinated and protected from contracting measles.

Congenital measles can result in severe complications, including inflammation of the brain and death.

On Thursday, Moore announced an infant born prematurely and infected with measles died in southwestern Ontario.

He says the infant also faced other serious medical complications unrelated to the virus.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Moore says 40 pregnant people have been infected with measles in Ontario, and only two were vaccinated.

Moore suggests unvaccinated pregnant people isolate if they live in a community with active measles cases. Health officials have reported more than 2,000 cases in the province since the outbreak began in October.

The measles mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is not recommended once a person is pregnant because it contains a live virus that could theoretically be transmitted to the fetus.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommends unvaccinated pregnant people get one dose of intravenous immunoglobulin within six days if they are exposed to measles.

However, Moore said that message faces hurdles similar to those around vaccine hesitancy.

“Some people, if they don't want a vaccine, they may not want the immunoglobulin either. That may be a philosophical choice,” Moore said Friday.

In an editorial published Monday in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, Dr. Catherine Varner argues pregnant people are "bearing the burden" of Canada's measles outbreak.

“Pregnant people are often at higher risk than the general population in infectious disease outbreaks. As such, they cannot be an afterthought in preventive strategies and health-care systems’ responses,” Varner writes.

Moore said the vast majority of pregnant people in Ontario are fully vaccinated against measles.

“It's only a very small subgroup of people who have chosen not to get vaccinated who are having the complications,” he said.

"I know some will concentrate on the glass being half-empty. You know, to have that level of protection in the face of the risks globally, I think is quite an accomplishment.

"I'd love to have 100 per cent, but we have to work with these communities that have chosen not to be vaccinated, and that is a long and difficult conversation that I think all of our health-care workers are dedicated to having."

Latest news

verdict-expected-in-edmonton-dog-attack-death-trial
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Verdict expected in Edmonton dog attack death trial

A judge is expected to deliver a verdict Friday in the criminal negligence trial of an Edmonton woman charged in the 2024 death of an 11-year-old boy killed by two dogs. Crystal MacDonald has pleaded not guilty to criminal negligence causing death in connection with the fatal attack on Kache Grist at her Edmonton home in April 2024. Court heard MacDonald and the boy’s father, Wesley Grist, were roommates at the time. Kache, who lived in British Columbia, was visiting Edmonton during spring break when the attack occurred. During testimony, MacDonald said she repeatedly warned Wesley Grist no
surrey-police-seek-help-identifying-robbery-suspect-near-central-skytrain-station
BCMay 22, 2026

Surrey police seek help identifying robbery suspect near Central SkyTrain Station

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect connected to an alleged robbery near Surrey Central SkyTrain Station last month. According to a Surrey Police Service release, frontline officers responded on April 24 at about 7:10 p.m. after two people reported they had been assaulted, robbed, and threatened near the station. Police said a pair of Meta smart glasses was taken during the incident. Investigators released a photo of the suspect and are asking anyone who recognizes the individual to come forward as the investigation continues. Police described the susp
rajya-sabha-mp-harbhajan-singh-accuses-aap-leadership-of-selling-punjab-posts-after-joining-bjp
IndiaMay 22, 2026

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh accuses AAP leadership of “selling” Punjab posts after joining BJP

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh, who recently left the Aam Aadmi Party and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, has accused the AAP leadership of exploiting Punjab in a social media post containing a series of corruption allegations. Singh alleged that the party leadership had “sold everything,” including Rajya Sabha seats from Punjab and ministerial positions, claiming appointments were allegedly made in exchange for money. He further stated that he would reveal how certain individuals were appointed as ministers and officials “to loot Punjab” and deliver the proceeds to a person he refe
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Former Durham officer arrested in Alberta on multiple sexual assault charges

Alberta RCMP have arrested a former Durham Regional Police officer who is facing multiple sexual assault and breach of trust charges linked to alleged incidents dating back more than 20 years. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said the alleged offences occurred in 2003 and were investigated at the time. The civilian police watchdog said the case was reopened in 2024 after the complainant provided new information. The SIU said a Canada-wide warrant was issued for Kevin Seamons. RCMP arrested him in Alberta on Wednesday night. Seamons faces six counts of sexual assault, one count of sexual
carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern

Related News