21.04°C Vancouver

Dec 10, 2021 11:35 PM - The Canadian Press

Mayor of Surrey, charged with public mischief over claim of being run over

Share On
mayor-of-surrey-charged-with-public-mischief-over-claim-of-being-run-over
A public mischief charge has been approved by a special prosecutor against the mayor of Surrey, B.C. (Photo - Doug McCallum/Twitter)

A public mischief charge has been approved by a special prosecutor against the mayor of Surrey, B.C.

The BC Prosecution Service says the charge comes after Mayor Doug McCallum complained to the RCMP that he was verbally assaulted and hit by a car.

There were public discussions at the time about Surrey replacing the RCMP with a municipal police force and McCallum said he was attacked during a ``Keep the RCMP in Surrey'' gathering at a grocery store.

McCallum was elected on a promise to replace the RCMP with a local force and some Surrey Police members are already on the job.

Vancouver lawyer Richard Fowler was appointed as a special prosecutor shortly after the complaint was made to provide legal assistance and advice to police.

The prosecution service says McCallum's first court appearance on the charge is set for Jan. 25 in Surrey provincial court.

Latest news

CanadaAug 18, 2026

Petition to Remove U.S. Ambassador Pete Hoekstra Surpasses 225,000 Signatures

A petition calling for the removal of U.S. Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra has surpassed 225,000 signatures, reflecting growing opposition to his comments and actions in Canada. The petition, launched by Calgary woman Lee Walker, alleges that Hoekstra’s statements have undermined Canada’s sovereignty. It calls for him to be declared persona non grata under the rules of the United Nations’ Vienna Convention and expelled from Canada. However, experts say Hoekstra’s actions have not reached the threshold that would normally justify such a diplomatic step. Green Party Leader Elizabeth M
canadian-exports-face-50-per-cent-tariff-threat-as-carney-speaks-with-trump
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Canadian exports face 50 per cent tariff threat as Carney speaks with Trump

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday evening as Canada faces the prospect of 50 per cent tariffs on some exports. Neither government has released details of the discussion. The tariff deadline is now less than 24 hours away. The federal government has indicated that Ottawa could respond with countermeasures if the U.S. tariffs take effect, raising the possibility of further escalation in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute. The new U.S. tariffs are expected to affect more than $20 billion worth of Canadian exports. Reports citing sources familiar with
BCAug 17, 2026

B.C. Conservatives Slam Eby Cabinet Shuffle

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad and Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Eleanor Sturko have sharply criticized Premier David Eby’s latest cabinet shuffle. Rustad described the new appointments - including Josie Osborne as finance minister and Ravi Kahlon as health minister - as little more than a “musical chairs” exercise. He argued that replacing ministers will not address the province’s growing tax burden and large deficits, saying the Eby government has no concrete plan to bring spending and finances under control. Sturko, meanwhile, accused the NDP government of failing to address hom
shots-fired-at-abbotsford-home-while-family-was-sleeping
BCAug 17, 2026

Shots Fired at Abbotsford Home While Family Was Sleeping

A shooting at a home in Abbotsford is under investigation after several bullets were fired at the residence early Sunday morning. Police say they were called around 1 a.m. on August 16 to a home in the 2100 block of Enderby Street, near McMillan Road, after receiving reports of gunfire. When officers arrived, they found that the home had been struck by multiple bullets. Family members were inside the residence and asleep at the time of the shooting. Fortunately, no one was injured. The Abbotsford Police Major Crime Unit has taken over the investigation. Based on the initial findings, police do
IndiaAug 17, 2026

BJP Announces Major Organisational Reshuffle Ahead of 2027 Punjab Assembly Polls

Ahead of the 2027 Punjab Assembly elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has carried out a major organisational reshuffle, handing key responsibilities to two prominent leaders associated with Punjab. Under the new appointments announced by BJP national president Nitin Nabin, former Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal has been appointed as the party’s National Vice-President. Meanwhile, BJP National General Secretary Tarun Chugh has been given the additional responsibility of being in charge of the party’s national headquarters. The appointments give Punjab representation at

Related News