24.89°C Vancouver

Nov 8, 2024 1:19 PM - The Canadian Press

Man charged with inciting hatred during protest at Hindu temple in Brampton, Ont.

Share On
man-charged-with-inciting-hatred-during-protest-at-hindu-temple-in-brampton-ont
A 57-year-old man from Toronto was arrested Wednesday and charged with public incitement of hatred, and is to appear in a Brampton court at a later date.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Police have made another arrest and are seeking two other suspects following tense and sometimes violent protests at a Hindu temple in the Greater Toronto Area.

Violence erupted on Sunday at the Hindu Sabha Mandir in Brampton after a visit by Indian officials was met by protesters seeking a separate Sikh nation called Khalistan.

That protest spilled over to two other locations in Mississauga, Ont., and continued on Monday, with hundreds of demonstrators from opposing sides gathering outside the Brampton temple before being dispersed by police.

Peel Regional Police say several offences occurred during the demonstrations and many were captured on video, including one where someone is seen using a loudspeaker to incite violence by calling for people to storm Sikh temples.

A 57-year-old man from Toronto was arrested Wednesday and charged with public incitement of hatred, and is to appear in a Brampton court at a later date.

Three people were previously arrested and a Peel police officer was suspended after Sunday's events, with social media videos showing what appeared to be fist fights and people hitting each other with poles on the temple grounds.

Police say arrest warrants have been issued for a 24-year-old from Kitchener, Ont., and a 22-year-old of no fixed address, who are wanted on counts of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm, conspiracy to commit assault with a weapon and conspiracy to commit mischief.

There was also unrest in British Columbia on Sunday as pro-Khalistan protesters gathered outside a temple in Surrey during a visit by Indian consular officials.

Surrey RCMP said three people were arrested after violence broke out.

In response to the recent events, the Indian Consulate in Toronto has said it is suspending some of its diplomatic visits to process paperwork at places like religious temples.

The violence has further heightened tensions between Canada and India after six Indian diplomats were expelled in October when the RCMP flagged them as persons of interest in alleged crimes against Canadians.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News