18.04°C Vancouver

May 10, 2024 3:22 PM - The Canadian Press

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas

Share On
immigration-ministers-to-meet-in-montreal-over-cuts-to-temporary-visas
A major focus for the ministers will be negotiating how to allocate fewer temporary visas, which employers have come to rely on.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Federal and provincial ministers are meeting in Montreal Friday to hash out how to shrink the number of temporary residents in Canada.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller is expected to meet with his provincial and territorial counterparts in person for the first time since he announced an unprecedented plan to set limits on the number of new temporary residents.

The aim is to rein in Canada's runaway growth by decreasing the number of temporary residents, from 6.2 per cent of Canada's population in 2023, to five per cent over the next three years.

The new targets will be developed over the summer, after the provinces and territories have had a chance to weigh in, but labour economist Mikal Skuterud said they shouldn't be considered in isolation.

"You can't do that, it's part of the whole system," said Skuterud, an economist with the University of Waterloo.

He was among the first to warn the government to temper the massive rise in people who migrate to Canada on a temporary basis to work or study.

Miller announced plans to scale back the number of international students by putting a two-year cap on new admissions in January.

The government is also attempting to speed up the time it takes to process asylum claims and, in the recent federal budget, included legislative measures designed to make the deportation process faster when those claims are denied.

The final and largest category that has yet to be addressed is temporary work permit holders. Miller has said it's a workforce the labour market has become addicted to in recent years.

In 2018, there were 337,460 temporary work visa holders. By 2022, that number swelled to 605,851.

Skuterud credits that increase to changes to the criteria for permanent residents, which were designed to fill specific labour gaps. Those changes have created an incentive for lower-skilled workers to come to Canada in hopes of getting permanent residency.

"That's what's luring huge numbers to come, and it's creating this problem in the (non-permanent resident) population," he said. He suggests the problem could be reversed by creating a more predictable path to permanent residency for newcomers.

A major focus for the ministers will be negotiating how to allocate fewer temporary visas, which employers have come to rely on.

No matter what, adjusting course is set to come with some complications.

In Manitoba, for example, announcements out of Ottawa about scaling back temporary immigration have been met with an overwhelming surge in applications to the provincial nominee program for permanent residency.

Earlier this week, Miller agreed to Manitoba's request to extend the federal work permits for some 6,700 newcomers whose visas were set to expire by the end of the year, to give them time to apply to stay in Canada permanently.

The new temporary visa target will also significantly slow population growth. While that could ease some pressure on housing costs and availability, it could also result in worker shortages, said Andrew Grantham, an executive director at CIBC Economics, in a report published last month.

"Restrictions on population growth could result in companies having to offer higher wages to encourage persons to remain in, or rejoin, the workforce. We could lose some firms that are simply not profitable if they are unable to tap low paid foreign workers," Grantham said.

The labour needs of each province are expected to factor heavily into Friday's discussions. The new targets for temporary visas will be published in the fall.

Latest news

richmond-rcmp-reminds-drivers-to-slow-down-as-students-return-to-school
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP reminds drivers to slow down as students return to school

As students head back to school this September, Richmond RCMP is reminding drivers and parents to take extra care on the roads. Richmond roads will be busier this September as many people return from summer holidays and children return to school. Drivers are reminded to allow extra travel time, reduce speed, and avoid distractions by leaving your phone alone while driving. Watch for children and multimodal road users, especially near schools, parks, and residential areas. According to ICBC data, three children are killed and 402 injured in crashes while walking or cycling in B.C. every year. 5
poilievre-wants-reasonable-self-defence-defined-in-criminal-code
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Poilievre wants 'reasonable' self-defence defined in Criminal Code

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants the government to amend the Criminal Code to say that the use of force is presumed to be reasonable to defend your home is someone breaks into it. He says if the government doesn't do this, his party will introduce a private member's bill aimed at making the change this fall during a press conference in Brampton, Ont.. This comes after a 44-year-old Lindsay, Ont. man was charged with assault in an altercation after a man with a crossbow allegedly broke into his apartment. The alleged intruder, a 41-year-old man also from Lindsay, was airlifted to hosp
fort-st-john-rcmp-arrest-two-males-and-execute-search-warrant-in-drug-investigation
BCAug 29, 2025

Fort St John RCMP arrest two males and execute search warrant in drug investigation

On August 15, 2025, the Fort St John RCMP Street Enforcement Team completed a drug trafficking investigation with the search of a hotel room near 93 Avenue and 100 Street in Fort St John, BC. The search followed the arrest of two males that day after they attempted to flee from Police in the parking lot of the hotel. The incident resulted in damage to police vehicles and the suspect vehicle. Inside the suspect vehicle, Police located drugs, currency and two loaded handguns; one of which had been converted to fire fully automatic. Police executed a search warrant on the room the males were sta
police-charge-18-year-old-man-after-three-people-stabbed-at-calgary-stampede
AlbertaAug 29, 2025

Police charge 18-year-old man after three people stabbed at Calgary Stampede

Police have charged a man with three counts of aggravated assault for stabbings at the Calgary Stampede last month. Police say they identified the 18-year-old following an extensive investigation that included witness interviews and camera footage. Officers executed a search warrant of the suspect's house and seized a folding knife and clothing they say believe are consistent with the stabbings. The man is scheduled to appear in court next week. Three males were stabbed in an area of the Stampede midway, including two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. Police have said all three
bc-transit-services-expand-in-kamloops
BCAug 29, 2025

BC Transit services expand in Kamloops

People using transit in Kamloops will see improved and expanded transit options with extended hours of service on several routes starting Monday, Sept. 1, 2025. “Extending handyDART hours and adding service on statutory holidays means more people in Kamloops will have access to the custom transportation service they rely on when they need it,” said George Anderson, parliamentary secretary for transit. “This expansion supports a more inclusive, connected community and ensures that transit keeps pace with the needs of our growing province.” To support increasing ridership and convenient

Related News