14.05°C Vancouver

Jan 28, 2025 1:28 PM - The Canadian Press

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Share On
hitmen-face-sentencing-for-b-c-murder-of-former-air-india-suspect-malik
Tanner Fox and accomplice Jose Lopez pleaded guilty last October to second-degree murder (Photo: The Canadian Press)

One of the admitted hitmen who killed former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik is set to be sentenced for his part in the murder today in a New Westminster, B.C., courtroom.

Tanner Fox and accomplice Jose Lopez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last October, with Fox scheduled to be sentenced today, and Lopez due back in court on Friday. Malik, who was acquitted of charges related to the 1985 Air India bombing, was shot dead in Surrey, B.C, on July 14, 2022. Fox and Lopez, who were both in their early 20s at the time of the killing, were originally charged with first-degree murder less than two weeks after the killing. They still face automatic life sentences on the lesser charges of second-degree murder. Crown prosecutors and defence lawyers have jointly proposed that they not be eligible for parole for 20 years.

An agreed statement of facts provided by the BC Prosecution Service says Fox and Lopez were "hired and paid" to carry out the murder, but police and prosecutors have not revealed who they believe hired the pair to assassinate the Sikh businessman. Malik was shot dead in his Tesla at a business park in Surrey, B.C. In 2005, Malik was acquitted in B.C. Supreme Court along with his co-accused, Ajaib Singh Bagri, of charges related to the bombings aimed at two Air India planes that killed 331 people in June 1985. One bomb blew up over the ocean off Ireland, killing all 329 on board, while the second device exploded at Narita airport in Japan, killing two baggage handlers.

A 2005 Canadian government report concluded the bombings were carried out by Sikh Khalistani separatists in Canada, including bomb maker Inderjit Singh Reyat, who was convicted of manslaughter.

Latest news

verdict-expected-in-edmonton-dog-attack-death-trial
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Verdict expected in Edmonton dog attack death trial

A judge is expected to deliver a verdict Friday in the criminal negligence trial of an Edmonton woman charged in the 2024 death of an 11-year-old boy killed by two dogs. Crystal MacDonald has pleaded not guilty to criminal negligence causing death in connection with the fatal attack on Kache Grist at her Edmonton home in April 2024. Court heard MacDonald and the boy’s father, Wesley Grist, were roommates at the time. Kache, who lived in British Columbia, was visiting Edmonton during spring break when the attack occurred. During testimony, MacDonald said she repeatedly warned Wesley Grist no
surrey-police-seek-help-identifying-robbery-suspect-near-central-skytrain-station
BCMay 22, 2026

Surrey police seek help identifying robbery suspect near Central SkyTrain Station

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect connected to an alleged robbery near Surrey Central SkyTrain Station last month. According to a Surrey Police Service release, frontline officers responded on April 24 at about 7:10 p.m. after two people reported they had been assaulted, robbed, and threatened near the station. Police said a pair of Meta smart glasses was taken during the incident. Investigators released a photo of the suspect and are asking anyone who recognizes the individual to come forward as the investigation continues. Police described the susp
rajya-sabha-mp-harbhajan-singh-accuses-aap-leadership-of-selling-punjab-posts-after-joining-bjp
IndiaMay 22, 2026

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh accuses AAP leadership of “selling” Punjab posts after joining BJP

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh, who recently left the Aam Aadmi Party and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, has accused the AAP leadership of exploiting Punjab in a social media post containing a series of corruption allegations. Singh alleged that the party leadership had “sold everything,” including Rajya Sabha seats from Punjab and ministerial positions, claiming appointments were allegedly made in exchange for money. He further stated that he would reveal how certain individuals were appointed as ministers and officials “to loot Punjab” and deliver the proceeds to a person he refe
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Former Durham officer arrested in Alberta on multiple sexual assault charges

Alberta RCMP have arrested a former Durham Regional Police officer who is facing multiple sexual assault and breach of trust charges linked to alleged incidents dating back more than 20 years. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said the alleged offences occurred in 2003 and were investigated at the time. The civilian police watchdog said the case was reopened in 2024 after the complainant provided new information. The SIU said a Canada-wide warrant was issued for Kevin Seamons. RCMP arrested him in Alberta on Wednesday night. Seamons faces six counts of sexual assault, one count of sexual
carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern

Related News