1.81°C Vancouver

Aug 16, 2024 5:09 PM - The Canadian Press

'Geyser' in Montreal after major water main break floods streets and homes

Share On
geyser-in-montreal-after-major-water-main-break-floods-streets-and-homes
Images broadcast by media showed water gushing from the intersection in the densely populated neighbourhood near the bridge, and witnesses said that at its peak it was shooting 10 metres high.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

A break in a major underground water main near Montreal's Jacques Cartier Bridge sent water gushing down streets and inside homes on Friday morning, forcing the evacuation of nearby buildings.

Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante said many residents east of downtown woke up around 6 a.m. to firefighters urging them to vacate their homes because of flooding risks from the "geyser" that erupted at the corner of René-Lévesque Boulevard and de Lorimier Avenue.

Images broadcast by media showed water gushing from the intersection in the densely populated neighbourhood near the bridge, and witnesses said that at its peak it was shooting 10 metres high.

"Even if the water is receding, we are asking people to let repair crews do their work; don't cross the danger tape," Plante told reporters near the site, adding that work to fix the leak will likely take "several hours."

The source of the flooding is a pipe more than two metres in diameter installed in 1985, said officials, who explained the asphalt and concrete above the broken section of pipe will need to be excavated before they know how serious the problem is.

But officials said that thanks to redundancies in the city's network of 4,000 kilometres of pipes, there are no safety issues with drinking water in the flooded district. Every sector of the city is fed with at least two water mains, they said, allowing crews to turn one off and maintain drinking water for the area.

By 10:30 a.m. water had begun receding in the district, but there was still an impressive stream flowing down streets in the neighbourhood.

Martin Guilbault, division chief of the Montreal fire department, said people should stay away from the flooded area until authorities give the green light to return.

"Just because there is less water doesn't mean the work is done," he said, explaining that parts of streets could be damaged and give way from all the water that poured over them.

Fire officials didn't give a precise number of people evacuated, telling reporters that crews visited all the buildings affected and ensured everyone was safe. They said crews still need to evaluate the danger before residents can return home.

Quebec's hydro utility cut power to the affected area as a precaution, leaving about 14,000 clients without electricity.

Latest news

WorldFeb 20, 2026

Bangladesh restores visa services for Indian nationals days after new government takes office

Bangladesh has reinstated visa services for Indian citizens just three days after a new government led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party took office. Prime Minister Tarique Rahman announced Friday that all visa categories for Indian nationals have been restored, reversing a suspension imposed nearly two months ago. The earlier halt to visa processing had been introduced under the administration of former prime minister Muhammad Yunus. At that time, Bangladeshi authorities cited administrative and diplomatic considerations for pausing services. The decision had affected travellers seeking med
canada-welcomes-u-s-supreme-court-ruling-striking-down-trump-emergency-tariffs-but-sector
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada welcomes U.S. Supreme Court ruling striking down Trump emergency tariffs, but sector

Canada’s Minister of International Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, says a recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States to overturn tariffs imposed under former president Donald Trump’s emergency powers validates Canada’s long-standing position that the measures were unjustified. In a statement responding to the ruling, LeBlanc said the court’s decision confirms Canada’s argument that duties introduced under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act were not legally sound. Ottawa had previously raised concerns that the tariffs created uncertainty for cross-border trade and
u-s-supreme-court-blocks-trumps-use-of-emergency-powers-to-impose-tariffs
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

U.S. Supreme Court blocks Trump’s use of emergency powers to impose tariffs

The United States Supreme Court has ruled that former president Donald Trump could not rely on a national emergencies statute to impose sweeping tariffs on several countries, including Canada, during his time in office. In a decision released Friday, the court found that Trump’s use of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to justify what he called “Liberation Day” tariffs exceeded the scope of the law. The measures had targeted imports from Canada, Mexico and China, and were also linked to fentanyl-related trade actions. The tariffs were introduced as part of a broader strateg
alberta-to-hold-october-referendum-on-immigration-policy-and-senate-reform
AlbertaFeb 20, 2026

Alberta to Hold October Referendum on Immigration Policy and Senate Reform

Alberta residents will be asked to weigh in this October on two policy questions dealing with immigration and constitutional reform, the provincial government has announced. One of the proposed referendum questions will ask voters whether non permanent residents should be required to pay to access Alberta’s publicly funded health care and education systems. The issue comes amid ongoing debate across Canada about how provinces manage service costs as population growth increases. A second question will ask Albertans whether the province should advocate for abolishing the Senate as part of broa
AlbertaFeb 20, 2026

Alberta issues standing measles exposure advisory for Parkland County

Alberta health officials have issued a standing measles exposure advisory for Parkland County, west of Edmonton, as confirmed cases continue to be reported across the province. Alberta Health says individuals who live, work, attend school or travel in the Parkland County area should monitor for symptoms and ensure their immunizations are up to date. A standing advisory means residents should remain alert for potential exposure rather than focusing on a single location or date. As of Thursday, Alberta has recorded 71 confirmed measles cases in 2026. Health authorities say the majority of cases

Related News