20.62°C Vancouver

Oct 18, 2024 5:31 PM - Connect Newsroom - Jasmine Singh with files from The Canadian Press

Defence minister announces nearly $65 million in aid to Ukraine

Share On
defence-minister-announces-nearly-65-million-in-aid-to-ukraine
The funds come from $500 million promised by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at the NATO summit in July. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Defence Minister Bill Blair announced that Canada will send $64.8 million in additional military assistance to Ukraine, reaffirming the country’s continued commitment to supporting Kyiv in its defence against Russia’s invasion.

Speaking at a NATO defence ministers’ meeting in Brussels, Blair said Ukraine’s ongoing war with Russia remains one of the alliance’s top priorities. The new package will provide more than $50 million in weapons, ammunition, and military drones, along with uniforms and protective gear for Ukrainian soldiers.

The remaining funds will support training programs for Ukrainian troops and help strengthen the country’s cyber defence capabilities. Blair said the assistance is part of the $500 million pledge made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during the NATO summit in July.

Since Russia’s full-scale invasion began in February 2022, Canada has provided more than $19.5 billion in overall support to Ukraine, including military, humanitarian, and financial aid.

The announcement follows renewed discussions among NATO members about long-term defence cooperation and cyber security strategies to counter Russian aggression.

Communities across Canada, including in Surrey, Edmonton, and Winnipeg, home to large Ukrainian-Canadian populations, have held ongoing drives to raise funds and send supplies in solidarity with those affected by the conflict.

Latest news

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic

Related News