2.11°C Vancouver

Aug 2, 2024 3:39 PM - The Canadian Press

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions

Share On
canadians-urged-to-leave-lebanon-as-flights-cancelled-amid-growing-tensions
The fear that her young daughters might witness violence does cause some concern, she said, but so far she has not personally seen any sign of conflict.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Lara Salameh was supposed to be flying out of Beirut Thursday en route to Montreal with her husband and two daughters, but the night before, their flight was cancelled. She said Air France told her service out of the Lebanese capital was suspended because of the unstable security situation — one that Ottawa has been warning Canadians about as fears of war between Israel and Hezbollah grow.

Salameh is one of the 21,399 Canadians registered as being in Lebanon, a country the Canadian government is urging its citizens to leave. It says they can’t rely on government evacuation flights if war engulfs Lebanon.

Canada has been planning since October for a possible evacuation of its citizens and sent military personnel to Lebanon and Cyprus in preparation.

Salameh hopes that her rescheduled flight on Aug. 10 will take off as planned, but she has no regrets. Travelling to her native country is more than a vacation, she said in an interview Thursday from Beirut. It is a chance for her children to spend time with their elderly grandparents, some of whom are ill.

“We expected that we might get stuck here, but we came anyways for family,”the Laval-Que. resident said, adding that the turmoil in the Middle East did make her hesitate before booking the trip this year.

“You can't leave your parents. They're getting old and we need to see them.”

The fear that her young daughters might witness violence does cause some concern, she said, but so far she has not personally seen any sign of conflict. If the situation does sour, she said, she can take refuge with family who live in the northern part of the country.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly has urged Canadians in the country to fly back to Canada immediately.

“If you are in Lebanon, come back home. If tensions escalate, the situation on the ground may not allow us to help you, and you won’t be able to leave,” Joly posted on X on Wednesday. The Canadian government noted that some airlines have already suspended service to Beirut. "Additional travel disruptions are likely, including airspace closures and flight cancellations and diversions," it said on X.

Hezbollah’s leader warned Thursday that the conflict with Israel has entered a “new phase,” as he addressed mourners at the funeral of a commander from the group who was killed by an Israeli airstrike this week in Beirut. Israel alleges the commander was behind a weekend rocket attack that killed 12 young people in the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights, but Hezbollah has denied the charge.

Not all Canadians in Lebanon are scrambling to get back, however.

Stephani Moukhaiber was born in Lebanon and returned there from Montreal last year after being laid off from her job. She said Thursday she has no intention of fleeing Lebanon, even as tensions rise.

Moukhaiber is a Canadian citizen, and she has been receiving regular messages from the Canadian government warning her to leave while flights are still available. “I'm not going to lie. I did have a moment of insecurity where I was like, 'Yeah, maybe I should go back,'" she said in a phone interview.

But she said the atmosphere where she lives in the mountains outside Beirut is calm, in part because locals have lived through many conflicts in recent decades, including a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.

And Moukhaiber, who traces some of her roots to the Palestinian territories, cannot forgive Canada for its stance in the Israel-Hamas war. She said she does not want to return to Canada because she feels the country is not doing enough to stop Gazans from being killed.

“I'd rather be here in a state of war than be in a country that doesn't believe in my existence or (my) right to exist,” she said.

Latest news

john-rustad-will-not-enter-b-c-conservative-leadership-race
BCFeb 17, 2026

John Rustad will not enter B.C. Conservative leadership race

Former John Rustad has confirmed he will not seek the leadership of the BC Conservative Party, ending weeks of speculation about a possible return bid. In a statement released Saturday, Rustad said the decision followed considerable reflection. He began by thanking his wife for her support throughout his time in public life, describing her as his strongest source of encouragement during the pressures and challenges of political service. Rustad also expressed gratitude to supporters who had indicated they were prepared to back him in a leadership campaign. He said stepping aside was a decision
cbsa-seizes-266-kilograms-of-suspected-methamphetamine-at-blue-water-bridge-woodstock-man
CanadaFeb 17, 2026

CBSA seizes 266 kilograms of suspected methamphetamine at Blue Water Bridge, Woodstock man

Canada Border Services Agency officers have seized more than 266 kilograms of suspected methamphetamine at the Blue Water Bridge border crossing in Sarnia, marking one of the larger drug interceptions in the region this year. According to the CBSA, a commercial truck arriving from the United States on February 4 was referred for a secondary inspection at the Blue Water Bridge port of entry. During a search of the trailer, officers, assisted by a detector dog, discovered 16 duffle bags containing suspected methamphetamine. The total weight of the seized narcotics was reported at 266.4 kilograms
carney-announces-6-6b-plan-to-strengthen-canadas-defence-industry-and-boost-domestic
CanadaFeb 17, 2026

Carney announces $6.6B plan to strengthen Canada’s defence industry and boost domestic

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced a $6.6 billion defence industrial strategy aimed at expanding military production within Canada and reducing reliance on foreign suppliers, particularly the United States. The federal government says the initiative is designed to strengthen national security while building long term economic capacity. The plan outlines a 10 year framework to prioritize Canadian based manufacturers in defence procurement. According to the Prime Minister, companies that build and assemble equipment in Canada will receive preference in federal purchasing decisions. The str
navjot-kaur-sidhu-criticizes-rahul-gandhi-alleges-weakening-of-congress-in-punjab
IndiaFeb 17, 2026

Navjot Kaur Sidhu criticizes Rahul Gandhi, alleges weakening of Congress in Punjab

Former Punjab Congress leader Navjot Kaur Sidhu has publicly criticized senior Congress figure Rahul Gandhi, alleging that his leadership approach is contributing to the party’s decline in Punjab. In recent remarks, Sidhu claimed that Gandhi is disconnected from ground realities in the state and has failed to address what she described as internal corruption within the Punjab unit of the Indian National Congress. She further alleged that members of his close circle are involved in the sale of party tickets, and suggested that Gandhi is either unaware of or not acting on the issue. Sidhu’s
AlbertaFeb 17, 2026

Toddler dies after being struck by SUV in Calgary crosswalk

A young child has died following a collision at a Calgary intersection over the weekend, according to the Calgary Police Service. Police say the toddler was in a stroller being pushed by two adults in a marked crosswalk on Sunday when a Jeep SUV turned into the intersection and hit the stroller. Emergency crews transported the child to hospital, where the toddler was later pronounced dead. The adults pushing the stroller were not physically injured in the incident. Investigators say the driver remained at the scene and is cooperating with authorities. Police have indicated that neither speed n

Related News