22.09°C Vancouver

Jan 26, 2021 1:17 AM -

British Columbia long-term care home report reveals confusion, mixed messaging

Share On
british-columbia-long-term-care-home-report-reveals-confusion-mixed-messaging
Health Minister Adrian Dix looks on as Dr. Bonnie Henry pauses for a moment as she gives her daily media briefing regarding Covid-19 for the province of British Columbia in Victoria, B.C, Monday, December 7, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

A third-party report examining how the British Columbia government responded to COVID-19 in long-term care homes during the first wave of the pandemic reveals confusion over policies and infection prevention.

The report, by Ernst & Young, says specific policy orders from the provincial health officer were interpreted differently by health authorities and there were gaps in infection prevention and control as well as emergency preparedness.

It also highlighted a lack of consistent provincial policy on how health authorities and facility operators handled residents who tested positive for COVID-19.

Ernst & Young did praise the government for its decision to create a health emergency command centre as well as restricting staff from working at multiple long-term care facilities, which it says contributed to stopping the spread of COVID-19 infections in care homes.

But it added that those restrictions also highlighted staffing shortages and other underlying issues.

Health Minister Adrian Dix said last week that his government has implemented all the recommendations in the report and its assessment of the province's actions was "overwhelmingly favourable."

Latest news

BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to
metro-vancouver-workers-escalate-job-action-over-burrard-inlet-dredging
BCAug 18, 2026

Metro Vancouver Workers Escalate Job Action Over Burrard Inlet Dredging

Unionized Metro Vancouver outside workers have stepped up job action, with picket lines established at two water main projects in Vancouver and North Vancouver. The Greater Vancouver Regional District Employees’ Union says the projects must be completed before planned dredging beneath the Second Narrows Ironworkers Memorial Bridge can begin in September. The dredging is intended to allow larger oil tankers carrying greater loads to navigate Burrard Inlet. The plan has received support from the federal government. The outside workers and Metro Vancouver have been without a new collective agre
hit-and-run-in-nanaimo-leaves-one-person-dead
BCAug 18, 2026

Hit-and-Run in Nanaimo Leaves One Person Dead

Nanaimo RCMP are investigating a hit-and-run collision that occurred on August 16 and resulted in the death of a pedestrian. According to police, the incident happened at around 1:48 a.m. at the intersection of Albert Street and Dunsmuir Street, where a vehicle struck a pedestrian. The driver fled the scene in the vehicle immediately after the collision. A frontline officer arrived at the scene and transported the seriously injured man to hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries. Police initially took one driver into custody, but the individual was released after investigators determ
IndiaAug 18, 2026

Amritpal Singh May Contest from Dhuri, Could Take on CM Bhagwant Mann

Ahead of the 2027 Punjab Assembly elections, Akali Dal (Waris Punjab De) is considering fielding jailed Khadoor Sahib MP Amritpal Singh from Dhuri, the constituency represented by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann. According to information, Amritpal Singh has expressed interest in contesting from Dhuri in addition to Khadoor Sahib. The party is also considering Talwandi Sabo and Rampura Phul as possible options. A party leader from Kotkapura said Amritpal Singh is interested in contesting from Dhuri. He said all options are being discussed and, based on the outcome of the meeting, a formal proposal

Related News