-0.98°C Vancouver

Aug 21, 2024 5:11 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. wildfires holding under 370 with 30 per cent classified as 'out of control'

Share On
b-c-wildfires-holding-under-370-with-30-per-cent-classified-as-out-of-control
They're among about 110 out-of-control blazes representing 30 per cent of the province's roughly 370 active wildfires.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

The Calcite Creek fire in British Columbia's southern Interior is no longer considered a "wildfire of note," leaving three such blazes throughout the province.

The BC Wildfire Service says two of those fires are classified as "being held," meaning they're expected to stay within their current or predetermined perimeters.

That leaves the 1.8-square-kilometre Corya Creek blaze in the Northwest Fire Centre as the only wildfire of note continuing to burn out of control in the province, as the 40-square-kilometre Komonko Creek wildfire in southeastern B.C. has also lost the "wildfire of note" designation despite remaining out of control.

They're among about 110 out-of-control blazes representing 30 per cent of the province's roughly 370 active wildfires.

That's down from 40 per cent of B.C.'s active blazes last week.

The wildfire service says the southern half of the province continues to experience a downturn in fire activity due to cooler temperatures and increasing relative humidity levels, while warmer temperatures could fuel fire activity in the north.

In the Yukon, meanwhile, smoke from a wildfire in the western part of the territory is reaching as far as Whitehorse, about 425 kilometres to the southeast.

The territory's wildfire information website says the Snag Lake fire was "quiet" Monday after displaying "extreme" behaviour the day before.

It says wildfire personnel were working on structure protection measures at a wilderness lodge where several people were evacuated by helicopter on Monday due to the threat of a blaze that flared up in hot and dry conditions.

The fire is burning on the shores of Wellesley Lake, about 15 kilometres east of the Snag Junction area along the Alaska Highway. The blaze is not currently threatening the highway or buildings along the route, the territory's website says.

Latest news

b-c-commits-50-million-to-expand-nasal-naloxone-access-amid-ongoing-overdose-crisis
BCFeb 19, 2026

B.C. commits $50 million to expand nasal naloxone access amid ongoing overdose crisis

The British Columbia government says it will invest $50 million over the next two years to increase access to nasal naloxone kits as part of its response to the province’s ongoing overdose emergency. Health Minister Josie Osborne said the funding will allow nasal naloxone to account for roughly half of the more than 400,000 take home naloxone kits distributed each year in B.C. The province first declared the toxic drug crisis a public health emergency in April 2016, and officials say it continues to have widespread impacts on families and communities. According to the Health Ministry, inject
trump-sets-10-day-deadline-for-iran-nuclear-deal-after-second-round-of-talks
WorldFeb 19, 2026

Trump sets 10 day deadline for Iran nuclear deal after second round of talks

The second round of negotiations between the United States and Iran over Tehran’s nuclear program has concluded, with U.S. President Donald Trump warning that Iran has 10 days to reach an agreement or face possible military consequences. Speaking after the talks, Trump said Washington expects a clear commitment from Tehran to curb its nuclear activities. He cautioned that failure to reach a deal within the set timeframe could result in military action, escalating tensions in an already volatile region. Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the discussions held in Gene
AlbertaFeb 19, 2026

Calgary man charged in 2024 extortion case involving threats against woman

A 37-year-old Calgary man is facing multiple extortion charges following an investigation into a series of threats reported by a woman in the city’s northeast. The investigation began in September 2025 when the woman contacted police to report repeated attempts throughout 2024 to force her to hand over money and valuables. According to police, the incidents occurred between August and October 2024, during which the suspects allegedly demanded payment and threatened violence if she refused. Authorities say the individuals involved were known to the victim. In December 2025, investigators laun
canada-falls-to-afghanistan-by-82-runs-in-final-league-match-of-icc-mens-t20-world-cup
CanadaFeb 19, 2026

Canada falls to Afghanistan by 82 runs in final league match of ICC Men’s T20 World Cup

Canada’s campaign at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup ended with an 82 run defeat against Afghanistan in their final league stage match in Chennai. Chasing a challenging target of 201, the Canadian side struggled to build partnerships and finished on 118 for eight in 20 overs. Afghanistan set the tone after opting to bat, posting 200 for four in their allotted overs. Ibrahim Zadran, who was named player of the match, anchored the innings with an unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, including seven fours and five sixes. It marked the highest individual score by an Afghan batter in this edition of the tourn
chandigarh-police-files-cancellation-report-in-case-against-pargat-singh-14-congress-leaders
IndiaFeb 19, 2026

Chandigarh Police files cancellation report in case against Pargat Singh, 14 Congress leaders

Chandigarh Police has filed a cancellation report in a case registered against Punjab Congress MLA Pargat Singh and 14 other party leaders in connection with a protest held outside the official residence of the Haryana Chief Minister two years ago. The FIR was registered on February 20, 2024, at Sector 3 police station. The case included allegations of assault and obstructing police personnel from carrying out their official duties during the demonstration. According to police records, the Congress leaders had gathered to condemn the alleged use of force against farmers protesting at the Punja

Related News