-0.28°C Vancouver

Apr 22, 2025 1:01 PM - The Canadian Press

Alberta's request to question fired health executive over confidential emails granted

Share On
albertas-request-to-question-fired-health-executive-over-confidential-emails-granted
The province is seeking a court order to have Mentzelopoulos return the emails and disclose who she shared the information with.

A judge has granted Alberta's government its request to question the former head of the provincial health authority about confidential emails she is accused of keeping and sharing without permission.

It's the latest development in a high-profile lawsuit launched by Athana Mentzelopoulos, the former chief executive of Alberta Health Services. Mentzelopoulos is suing the government and AHS for wrongful dismissal, alleging she was illegally fired to stop her from investigating sweetheart deals and political interference in multimillion-dollar health procurement contracts. The government filed for an injunction last month after discovering that Mentzelopoulos sent herself nearly a dozen emails in January the day before she was fired containing confidential information related to allegations she has made.

The province is seeking a court order to have Mentzelopoulos return the emails and disclose who she shared the information with. A decision from Court of King's Bench Justice Debra Yungwirth says government lawyers can question Mentzelopoulos about the emails, although they won't be permitted to ask about information she may have already shared with Alberta's auditor general or the RCMP as part of their separate investigations into the allegations. Yungwirth's decision says a decision will be made on whether the emails need to be returned after Mentzelopoulos has been questioned.

Latest news

gas-leak-explosion-in-karachi-residential-building-kills-16-injures-14
WorldFeb 19, 2026

Gas leak explosion in Karachi residential building kills 16, injures 14

At least 16 people, including several children, were killed and 14 others injured after a gas leak triggered an explosion in a residential building in Karachi early Thursday morning, according to local police officials. Authorities said the blast occurred around 4:30 a.m. on the first floor of a building located in the Old Soldier Bazaar area. Investigators believe the explosion was caused by an accumulation of gas inside the structure. Officials added that the building was already in a deteriorated condition, and part of its structure collapsed following the explosion, complicating rescue eff
WorldFeb 19, 2026

Prince Andrew arrested in U.K. amid renewed scrutiny over Epstein-linked allegations

Prince Andrew, the Duke of York and younger brother of King Charles III, was arrested Thursday in the United Kingdom amid an investigation into alleged misconduct during his time as a government trade representative. The development marks a significant escalation in longstanding scrutiny surrounding his past associations and official conduct. Police are examining whether Andrew, while serving in 2010 as the U.K.’s Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, improperly shared confidential commercial reports with convicted financier Jeffrey Epstein. The documents in question
leblanc-to-meet-u-s-trade-representative-ahead-of-cusma-review
CanadaFeb 19, 2026

LeBlanc to meet U.S. trade representative ahead of CUSMA review

Canada’s minister responsible for Canada–U.S. trade says he plans to meet with the United States trade representative in the coming weeks as both countries prepare for the scheduled review of the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement. Dominic LeBlanc said he recently spoke by phone with Jamieson Greer following public remarks from Washington suggesting that Canadian trade barriers have complicated bilateral discussions. The talks come as the United States signals it may seek changes to the trilateral pact. The trade agreement, commonly known as Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement
burnaby-rcmp-warn-seniors-after-couple-loses-300-000-in-impersonation-scam
BCFeb 19, 2026

Burnaby RCMP warn seniors after couple loses $300,000 in impersonation scam

Burnaby RCMP are warning residents to remain vigilant after an elderly couple lost approximately $300,000 in a fraud scheme involving someone posing as a police officer. Police say the couple, both in their 80s, reported the incident on January 28 after being contacted by an individual claiming to be an RCMP officer. The caller allegedly told them their bank account had been compromised and instructed them to transfer their money to protect it. Over several weeks, the victims moved funds through multiple deposits and were directed to purchase gift cards as part of the scheme. They were also to
IndiaFeb 18, 2026

Court Grants Bail to BKU Ekta Ugrahan Leaders, Protests to Continue Across Punjab

A court in Bathinda on Wednesday granted bail to two senior leaders of Bharatiya Kisan Union Ekta Ugrahan who had been lodged in the Bathinda Central Jail during ongoing farmer protests in Punjab. Confirming the development, state president Joginder Singh Ugrahan said while the bail of the two leaders has been approved, demonstrations across the state will continue until all workers detained during the protests are released. He stated that the union will organize “victory rallies” across Punjab on Thursday. The arrests came as authorities moved to prevent a large-scale protest planned for

Related News