17.74°C Vancouver

Nov 21, 2020 2:18 AM -

Actions taken now could determine Canada's fate for generations to come: PM Trudeau

Share On
actions-now-could-determine-canadas-fate-for-generations-to-come-pm-trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau leaves after making an announcement at the Ornamental Gardens in Ottawa, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says everyone's actions now could determine Canada's fate for generations to come.

He is urging all Canadians to reduce their contacts and stay home to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Grim new forecasts suggest Canada could see cases climb by 60,000 per day by year's end if socializing increases.

The prime minister says his government is committed to helping businesses, and that lockdown measures are a better way to ensure long-term economic success than letting the virus run rampant.

"Canada-U.S. border will remain closed until Dec. 21"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the Canada-U.S. border will remain closed until Dec. 21.

Visits such as vacations, day trips and cross-border shopping excursions have been forbidden since March to help curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The mutual restrictions have been jointly extended on a monthly basis by the two countries ever since they were first imposed.

Trudeau says that with COVID-19 cases rising across the country, he will be working from home as much as possible and will again hold news conferences from outside his Rideau Cottage residence.

Trudeau says now is the time for Canadians to further limit personal contacts

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says now is the time for Canadians to further limit personal contacts and cancel social plans.

Trudeau urges people to stay home, and asks businesses to let employees work from home amid a spike in COVID-19 infections.

Trudeau says getting the virus under control is the best way to protect the economy, even if that means going into lockdown, as some regions have done.

He also referenced new measures to support businesses passed by the Senate Thursday, including commercial rent relief and an extension of the federal wage subsidy.

"Important to use COVID-19 contact tracing app"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he knows Canadians want to do the right thing and protect themselves and others from COVID-19.

He says it is very important that the federal COVID-19 contact tracing app should be used voluntary.

But he says the government has considered mandating its use for government employees and others, as infection rates skyrocket across the country.

Latest news

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa

Related News