14.78°C Vancouver

May 18, 2021 1:57 AM -

1,360 new COVID-19 cases and 14 deaths reported over the weekend in B.C.

Share On
1-360-new-covid-19-cases-and-14-deaths-reported-over-the-weekend-in-b-c
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry during a news conference in Victoria. (B.C. Government)

Health officials are reporting 1,360 new cases of COVID-19 over the past three days for an average of 453 each day.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says 14 more people have died, pushing the death toll in BC to 1,648.

There are 350 people in hospital with COVID-19, including 132 in intensive care.

Dr. Henry says more than 55 per cent of eligible people aged 18 and up have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine and all remaining adults need to book appointments as soon as possible.

British Columbia's provincial health officer says those who received the first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine will have a choice about which vaccine they want for their second.

Dr. Bonnie Henry says the province has about 20,000 doses in stock and they don't expire until the end of June, around the time many of those second doses are due.

She says further information from studies on the effectiveness of mixing and matching vaccines will be available in early June and that data will be shared to help residents make informed decisions.

Dr. Henry says there are benefits to waiting up to 12 weeks for a second dose because it allows time for the body to develop more antibodies and other protections after the first.

But given the supply of all vaccines flowing into the province, she also says it's likely that all British Columbians will have access to a second dose sooner than planned.

Health Minister Adrian Dix says about 276,000 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and 142,000 doses of Moderna are expected to arrive this week.

Latest news

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa

Related News