26.59°C Vancouver

News

no-foreign-interference-report-more-than-one-year-after-liberal-government-re-elected
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

No foreign interference report more than one year after Liberal government re-elected

A panel tasked with flagging incidents of foreign interference in Canada's elections has still not released a report evaluating its own work in the 2021 election, more than a year after the Liberals won a second minority government.The Critical Election Incident Public Protocol was created to monitor and report on threats to the 2019 election with a mandate to continue its work during future elections.It's also supposed to do a postelection assessment of how it communicated with Canadians.An assessment was made public about seven months after the 2019 election, but a similar report for the 202
nurse-practitioners-in-b-c-can-now-assess-crisis-patients-for-involuntary-admissions
BCFeb 23, 2023

Nurse practitioners in B.C. can now assess crisis patients for involuntary admissions

Nurse practitioners in British Columbia now have expanded authority to assess people in crisis for involuntary admission to a treatment facility under the Mental Health Act.The New Democrat government says it changed the Mental Health Act last spring to help people get care during a mental health crisis, while respecting their legal rights.Jennifer Whiteside, B.C.'s mental health and addictions minister, says giving nurse practitioners authority to approve involuntary admission for a patient will reduce pressures on emergency departments and help people get faster treatment.She says when a per
media-advocate-calls-googles-move-to-block-news-content-disrespectful-to-canadians
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Media advocate calls Google's move to block news content disrespectful to Canadians

Advocates for the print and digital media industry say Google is disrespecting Canadian readers by temporarily blocking news to some of its users.News Media Canada president Paul Deegan says the action is unbecoming of the leading global company.Google confirmed on Wednesday that it's blocking less than four per cent of Canadian users from viewing news content in a five-week test run of a potential response to the Liberal government's online news bill.Bill C-18 would require digital giants such as Google and Meta, which owns Facebook, to negotiate deals to compensate Canadian media companies f
quebec-finance-minister-to-table-budget-march-21-says-it-will-include-tax-cuts
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Quebec finance minister to table budget March 21, says it will include tax cuts

The Coalition Avenir Québec government will table the first budget of the party's second mandate on March 21.Finance Minister Eric Girard made the announcement today at the province's legislature.He says the budget will keep all the commitments his party made during the fall election.Those promises included an income tax cut starting this year of one percentage point on the first two tax brackets.Girard says that despite the rise in interest rates, Quebec's economy so far in 2023 has performed better than expected.The minister's December update forecasted that the province would end the 2022-
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Ottawa announces health funding agreements with Ontario, Prince Edward Island

The federal government is announcing it has reached agreements in principle for health-care funding with Ontario and Prince Edward Island.It comes a little more than two weeks after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered the premiers $46 billion in new money for health care over the next decade.As part of the deal, the federal government promised to negotiate bilateral agreements with each premier to target specific priority areas such as primary care, mental-health care and data sharing.In a news release today, the federal government says it has reached a 10-year deal with Ontario Premier Doug
trudeau-says-best-way-to-close-roxham-road-is-to-renegotiate-refugee-deal-with-u-s
CanadaFeb 22, 2023

Trudeau says best way to close Roxham Road is to renegotiate refugee deal with U.S.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there are no simple solutions to shutting down a rural road in southern Quebec used by thousands of asylum seekers to cross irregularly into Canada.His comments come a day after Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said the prime minister should shut down the rural crossing known as Roxham Road within 30 days.Trudeau says closing that road would only encourage asylum seekers to use another forested path along the thousands of kilometres of border between Canada and the United States.The prime minister says the federal government also wants to close down that
inquiry-into-nova-scotia-mass-shooting-to-release-final-report-on-march-30
CanadaFeb 22, 2023

Inquiry into Nova Scotia mass shooting to release final report on March 30

The public inquiry that investigated the 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia announced today it will release its final report on March 30.The Mass Casualty Commission issued a statement saying the report will provide a detailed account of what happened as well as recommendations to improve community safety across Canada.Among other things, the report will examine the police response, access to firearms, gender-based violence, the killer's prior interactions with police and the steps taken to inform and support those affected by the murders.The inquiry heard that on the night of April 18, 2020, a
weather-forecast-icy-winds-weekend-snow-to-hit-b-c
BCFeb 22, 2023

Weather Forecast: Icy winds & weekend snow to hit B.C.

Bitterly cold weather is gripping much of British Columbia and forecasters don't expect conditions in some areas to ease until at least Thursday, while the threat of snow lies ahead for other regions.Extreme cold or Arctic outflow warnings are posted for the central and north coasts, Chilcotin and Peace River areas and the southeastern corner of B.C.With the wind chill, Environment Canada warns conditions will feel close to -40 C in the Elk Valley and Peace regions, and -20 C in Terrace, Kitimat and Stewart.A special weather statement also warns of snow before Thursday over most of central, ea
incredibly-premature-to-consider-drug-decriminalization-alberta-police-chiefs-say
AlbertaFeb 22, 2023

'Incredibly premature' to consider drug decriminalization, Alberta police chiefs say

The Alberta Association of Chiefs of Police says it believes, based on research it commissioned, that it would be "incredibly premature" to think about decriminalizing drugs.Instead, it says there must be a systemic and ordered approach in place that prioritizes community safety before such a strategy can be considered.A paper, commissioned by the association and released at a recovery conference in Calgary, says problematic use of substances is a complex social issue that needs more than one solution.The research, led by the Community Safety Knowledge Alliance, says the idea of decriminalizin

Just In

richmond-rcmp-reminds-drivers-to-slow-down-as-students-return-to-school
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP reminds drivers to slow down as students return to school

As students head back to school this September, Richmond RCMP is reminding drivers and parents to take extra care on the roads. Richmond roads will be busier this September as many people return from summer holidays and children return to school. Drivers are reminded to allow extra travel time, reduce speed, and avoid distractions by leaving your phone alone while driving. Watch for children and multimodal road users, especially near schools, parks, and residential areas. According to ICBC data, three children are killed and 402 injured in crashes while walking or cycling in B.C. every year. 5
poilievre-wants-reasonable-self-defence-defined-in-criminal-code
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Poilievre wants 'reasonable' self-defence defined in Criminal Code

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants the government to amend the Criminal Code to say that the use of force is presumed to be reasonable to defend your home is someone breaks into it. He says if the government doesn't do this, his party will introduce a private member's bill aimed at making the change this fall during a press conference in Brampton, Ont.. This comes after a 44-year-old Lindsay, Ont. man was charged with assault in an altercation after a man with a crossbow allegedly broke into his apartment. The alleged intruder, a 41-year-old man also from Lindsay, was airlifted to hosp
fort-st-john-rcmp-arrest-two-males-and-execute-search-warrant-in-drug-investigation
BCAug 29, 2025

Fort St John RCMP arrest two males and execute search warrant in drug investigation

On August 15, 2025, the Fort St John RCMP Street Enforcement Team completed a drug trafficking investigation with the search of a hotel room near 93 Avenue and 100 Street in Fort St John, BC. The search followed the arrest of two males that day after they attempted to flee from Police in the parking lot of the hotel. The incident resulted in damage to police vehicles and the suspect vehicle. Inside the suspect vehicle, Police located drugs, currency and two loaded handguns; one of which had been converted to fire fully automatic. Police executed a search warrant on the room the males were sta
police-charge-18-year-old-man-after-three-people-stabbed-at-calgary-stampede
AlbertaAug 29, 2025

Police charge 18-year-old man after three people stabbed at Calgary Stampede

Police have charged a man with three counts of aggravated assault for stabbings at the Calgary Stampede last month. Police say they identified the 18-year-old following an extensive investigation that included witness interviews and camera footage. Officers executed a search warrant of the suspect's house and seized a folding knife and clothing they say believe are consistent with the stabbings. The man is scheduled to appear in court next week. Three males were stabbed in an area of the Stampede midway, including two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. Police have said all three
bc-transit-services-expand-in-kamloops
BCAug 29, 2025

BC Transit services expand in Kamloops

People using transit in Kamloops will see improved and expanded transit options with extended hours of service on several routes starting Monday, Sept. 1, 2025. “Extending handyDART hours and adding service on statutory holidays means more people in Kamloops will have access to the custom transportation service they rely on when they need it,” said George Anderson, parliamentary secretary for transit. “This expansion supports a more inclusive, connected community and ensures that transit keeps pace with the needs of our growing province.” To support increasing ridership and convenient