26.53°C Vancouver

News

more-than-1-350-prohibited-weapons-linked-to-chilliwack-b-c-homes-seized
BCFeb 27, 2023

More than 1,350 prohibited weapons linked to Chilliwack, B.C., homes seized

Canada Border Services Agency says it has seized more than 1,350 prohibited weapons and firearms linked to residences in Chilliwack, B.C. A statement from the agency says parcels imported from China using a false declaration were intercepted at Vancouver International Airport last month. In late January, the agency says an unnamed Chilliwack resident was arrested for suspected offences under the Customs Act and a number of prohibited weapons and firearms were found during the arrest. The agency says more prohibited weapons were also found at a Chilliwack home the day after the arrest. It says
b-c-pledges-500-million-to-keep-ferry-fares-low-for-travellers-as-inflation-soars
BCFeb 27, 2023

B.C. pledges $500 million to keep ferry fares low for travellers as inflation soars

British Columbia's premier has announced $500 million in new funding for BC Ferries to keep fares low for passengers. David Eby says a recent submission to the BC Ferries commissioner showed global inflation over the past 18 months means travellers could see a fare increase of more than 10 per cent a year between 2024 and 2028. He says this investment aims to keep annual fare increases below 3 per cent, though the final cost will be determined by the commissioner. The province says the increase in costs like fuel and inflation are driving up overall fees for the service, and the funding will a
canada-banning-video-app-tiktok-on-government-issued-mobile-devices
CanadaFeb 27, 2023

Canada banning video app TikTok on government-issued mobile devices

The federal government is banning TikTok from its mobile devices days after federal and provincial privacy commissioners launched an investigation into the social media platform.A statement from Treasury Board President Mona Fortier says the application will be removed from government-issued mobile devices on Tuesday.The statement says the decision follows a review by the chief information officer of Canada, who determined that TikTok "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."Last week, the federal privacy watchdog and its counterparts in B.C., Alberta and Quebec announc
four-people-die-in-three-days-on-quebec-snowmobile-trails
CanadaFeb 27, 2023

Four people die in three days on Quebec snowmobile trails

Four Quebec snowmobilers have died in separate crashes since Friday.Provincial police say a man in his 60s died in St-Cuthbert, Que., around 90 kilometres northeast of Montreal, after his snowmobile collided with a tree yesterday morning.A day earlier, a man in his 50s died in Saguenay, Que., from injuries he suffered after his vehicle hit a tree.On Friday, a snowmobiler in his 40s died after colliding with another snowmobile in Quebec's Beauce-Centre region, south of Quebec City.Also on Friday, a snowmobiler in his 30s died after his snowmobile swerved off a trail in Ste-Hélène-de-Bagot, Qu
quebec-tables-bill-to-protect-rights-of-children-born-of-sexual-assault
CanadaFeb 24, 2023

Quebec tables bill to protect rights of children born of sexual assault

The Quebec government has tabled a bill that would make it illegal for someone who commits sexual assault to claim parental rights if the rape produces a child.Justice Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette tabled Bill 12 on Thursday, permitting a mother who is the victim of sexual assault to refuse parental rights to her aggressor, or to have them revoked.The bill would also require the aggressor to meet certain needs of the child and to compensate the mother.It would also permit a child born of a sexual assault to be eligible to claim inheritance after the aggressor dies.Jolin-Barrette told a news co
AlbertaFeb 24, 2023

Alberta announces $27.3 million in funding for resettlement of Ukrainian newcomers

The Alberta government is pledging more than $27 million in its upcoming budget to help Ukrainians resettle in the province one year after Russia invaded the eastern European country.Rajan Sawhney, minister of trade, immigration and multiculturalism, says the United Conservative government is to continue to support Ukrainian newcomers as the crisis enters its second year.Sawhney says the Alberta government would provide $7 million over the next three years for settlement and language programs as a part of the 2023 budget.The Ministry of Seniors, Community and Social Services would also provide
BCFeb 24, 2023

B.C. government to invest $440 million to improve detect, prevent & treat cancer

The British Columbia government is investing $440 million to better detect, prevent and treat cancer.Premier David Eby says nearly everyone in the province has been affected by cancer in some way, through their own diagnosis or that of a family member or friend.He says the 10-year plan will save lives and improve the quality of life of B.C. residents now and in the future.The money will support research, technology and innovation, improve access to cancer care for rural and remote residents, add more cancer centres throughout the province and ensure B.C.is able to attract oncologists and other
head-of-canadas-drug-price-regulator-resigns-same-week-as-colleague-steps-down
CanadaFeb 24, 2023

Head of Canada's drug price regulator resigns same week as colleague steps down

The executive director of Canada's drug pricing regulator is stepping down, just days after another member resigned because of concerns that the federal government was undermining the regulator's work.Douglas Clark, executive director of the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board, announced today he will be leaving his post after almost a decade with the regulator.On Thursday, Matthew Herder, a professor of health law at Dalhousie University, announced he had resigned from the board, accusing the federal government of failing to implement critically important reforms that would lower the cost o
vancouver-port-authority-suspends-rolling-truck-age-program-for-at-least-nine-months
BCFeb 24, 2023

Vancouver port authority suspends Rolling Truck Age Program for at least nine months

The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is suspending a controversial program to replace older trucks servicing the port for at least another nine months while it reassesses its plans.It is the third time the port is postponing the Rolling Truck Program which was supposed to begin April 3 to phase out trucks more than 12 years old to improve air quality and community health.Truckers that use the port say the onus is on owners and operators to replace the older vehicles at a steep cost even though many of them already meet emissions standards.Last week four Liberal MPs from the Vancouver area asked

Just In

richmond-rcmp-warns-public-about-job-posters-written-in-simplified-chinese
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns public about job posters written in Simplified Chinese

Richmond RCMP is warning the public about job advertisement posters targeted to the Chinese community. The posters are written in Simplified Chinese, and posted on various light posts throughout the City. The job posters advertise various types of employment such as vacation home house-sitter, care giver for the elderly, and tea leaves packager. The posters provide a brief description of the job, and a contact phone number. Investigators have reason to believe that these posters may be used to solicit personal information which may be used to identify potential scam targets. In one case, a vic
richmond-rcmp-reminds-drivers-to-slow-down-as-students-return-to-school
BCAug 29, 2025

Richmond RCMP reminds drivers to slow down as students return to school

As students head back to school this September, Richmond RCMP is reminding drivers and parents to take extra care on the roads. Richmond roads will be busier this September as many people return from summer holidays and children return to school. Drivers are reminded to allow extra travel time, reduce speed, and avoid distractions by leaving your phone alone while driving. Watch for children and multimodal road users, especially near schools, parks, and residential areas. According to ICBC data, three children are killed and 402 injured in crashes while walking or cycling in B.C. every year. 5
poilievre-wants-reasonable-self-defence-defined-in-criminal-code
CanadaAug 29, 2025

Poilievre wants 'reasonable' self-defence defined in Criminal Code

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants the government to amend the Criminal Code to say that the use of force is presumed to be reasonable to defend your home is someone breaks into it. He says if the government doesn't do this, his party will introduce a private member's bill aimed at making the change this fall during a press conference in Brampton, Ont.. This comes after a 44-year-old Lindsay, Ont. man was charged with assault in an altercation after a man with a crossbow allegedly broke into his apartment. The alleged intruder, a 41-year-old man also from Lindsay, was airlifted to hosp
fort-st-john-rcmp-arrest-two-males-and-execute-search-warrant-in-drug-investigation
BCAug 29, 2025

Fort St John RCMP arrest two males and execute search warrant in drug investigation

On August 15, 2025, the Fort St John RCMP Street Enforcement Team completed a drug trafficking investigation with the search of a hotel room near 93 Avenue and 100 Street in Fort St John, BC. The search followed the arrest of two males that day after they attempted to flee from Police in the parking lot of the hotel. The incident resulted in damage to police vehicles and the suspect vehicle. Inside the suspect vehicle, Police located drugs, currency and two loaded handguns; one of which had been converted to fire fully automatic. Police executed a search warrant on the room the males were sta
police-charge-18-year-old-man-after-three-people-stabbed-at-calgary-stampede
AlbertaAug 29, 2025

Police charge 18-year-old man after three people stabbed at Calgary Stampede

Police have charged a man with three counts of aggravated assault for stabbings at the Calgary Stampede last month. Police say they identified the 18-year-old following an extensive investigation that included witness interviews and camera footage. Officers executed a search warrant of the suspect's house and seized a folding knife and clothing they say believe are consistent with the stabbings. The man is scheduled to appear in court next week. Three males were stabbed in an area of the Stampede midway, including two 18-year-olds and one 15-year-old. Police have said all three