17.6°C Vancouver

News

coroners-inquest-hears-nicole-chan-suffered-from-mental-health-problems-believed-to-have-stemmed-from-a-sexual-assault-and-extortion
BCJan 24, 2023

Coroner's inquest hears Nicole Chan suffered from mental health problems believed to have stemmed from a sexual assault and extortion

A coroner's inquest into the suicide of a Vancouver police officer in 2019 has been told Nicole Chan suffered from mental health problems believed to have stemmed from a sexual assault and extortion by another officer. Jennifer Chan told the inquest today that she thought her sister was being blackmailed by an officer in Human Resources. Chan also testified that her sister struggled with anxiety and depression after she complained to the police chief in 2017 about inappropriate relationships that she had with two senior officers. Nicole Chan was on stress leave when she committed suicide and
new-westminster-police-department-officers-appeal-for-witnesses-to-come-forward-following-stabbing
BCJan 24, 2023

New Westminster police department officers appeal for witnesses to come forward following stabbing

On Saturday January 21st at approximately 1:15 pm, New Westminster Police Department officers received a call from someone who had found a man with numerous stab wounds. Officers rushed to the scene and located a man inside a bus with several stab wounds needing immediate medical aid. Officers provided aid, including the use of a tourniquet, until BC Ambulance Service arrived to transport the man to nearby hospital. Officers learned that the victim was stabbed and robbed near the parkade at the Shops at New West. The victim fled from the suspect to seek refuge inside a bus. The suspect is desc
new-westminster-witnesses-asked-to-come-forward-after-attempted-robbery-and-assault-near-new-west-skytrain-station
BCJan 24, 2023

New Westminster: Witnesses asked to come forward after attempted robbery and assault near new west skytrain station

The New Westminster Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward after an attempted robbery and assault near the New West SkyTrain Station. On January 17th at approximately 5:50 pm the New Westminster Police Department officers were called to the 800 block of Carnarvon Street to assist a man in distress who was pouring milk on his face inside a grocery store. Officers learned that the man was the victim of an assault and moments earlier he had been assaulted with bear spray in an attempted robbery. The suspect approached this man outside a restaurant and asked him for his jacket before s
brooke-henderson-goes-wire-to-wire-at-lpga-season-opener
CanadaJan 24, 2023

Brooke Henderson goes wire-to-wire at LPGA season opener

Brooke Henderson is off to a flying start in the new LPGA Tour season. The Canadian went wire-to-wire to win the Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions at Lake Nona. It's her 13th career victory. Henderson wasn't under too much stress in the final round of the season opener. She handled the par 5s and kept any challengers from having too much hope. Henderson won by four shots. Maja Stark started her second year on the LPGA by finishing second with Charley Hull of England. Nelly Korda wound up in fourth place. The LPGA Tour resumes in a month.
uk-leader-rishi-sunak-fined-for-failing-to-wear-seat-belt
WorldJan 21, 2023

UK leader Rishi Sunak fined for failing to wear seat belt

U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has been fined by police for taking off his seat belt to film a social media video in a moving car. Sunak has apologized for making an ``error of judgment'' while filming a message for Instagram from the back of an official government car during a visit to northwest England on Thursday. Lancashire Police said Friday it has looked into the video and ``issued a 42-year-old man from London with a conditional offer of fixed penalty.'' The conditional offer means that the person fined accepts guilt but doesn't have to go to court. Police didn't say how much Sunak wa
coquitlam-rcmp-two-men-wanted-in-new-years-day-assault
BCJan 21, 2023

Coquitlam RCMP: Two men wanted in New Year’s Day assault

Coquitlam RCMP is appealing to the public for assistance in locating the two Coquitlam men involved in an assault that has left a 29-year-old man with serious injuries. Coquitlam RCMP Front-line officers attended the area of Glen Drive and Johnston Street in Coquitlam for an assault on Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 2:47 a.m. The victim was changing a tire when he was attacked by two men. The men fled prior to Police attendance. The victim sustained serious, non-life-threatening injuries to his head. The victim was transported to hospital and has since been released. Coquitlam RCMP Investigationa
burnaby-rcmp-missing-person-to-locate-zenaeh-edwards-helgason
BCJan 21, 2023

Burnaby RCMP: Missing person to locate, Zenaeh Edwards-Helgason

Burnaby RCMP is seeking assistance from the public in locating missing 17-year-old Zenaeh Edwards-Helgason. Edwards-Helgason was reported missing to Saanich Police on December 19, 2022. It is believed she has been spotted in various locations in the Lower Mainland since she was reported missing, with the most recent possible sighting happening in Burnaby on Thursday, January 19, 2023. Edwards-Helgason is described as:•Average build•Black hair•5’6 tallBurnaby RCMP is assisting Saanich Police with the investigation.Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Zenaeh Edwards-Helgason in
sophisticated-identification-forgery-lab-located-and-dismantled-in-richmond-residence
BCJan 20, 2023

Sophisticated identification forgery lab located and dismantled in Richmond residence

Richmond RCMP Organized Crime Unit execute a search warrant on an alleged sophisticated identification forgery lab in a residence in Richmond. On December 22, 2022, Richmond RCMP Economic Crime Unit (ECU) and Drug Target Team executed a search warrant at a residence of a suspected forgery lab. Upon entering, officers discovered evidence consistent with a sophisticated forged identification lab.Items seized during the search included:High end printers and laminators including those capable of forging security features in governmental identification;Thousands of blank identification cards;Numer
canada-to-repatriate-six-women-13-children-from-syrian-detention-lawyer-says
CanadaJan 20, 2023

Canada to repatriate six women, 13 children from Syrian detention, lawyer says

The lawyer for six Canadian women and 13 children being held in Syrian camps says Ottawa has agreed to help bring them home. The Canadians are among many foreign nationals in Syrian camps run by Kurdish forces that reclaimed the region from extremists. Family members of the Canadians have been arguing in Federal Court that the government must repatriate them, saying that refusing to do so violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. But the case of four men is still before the court.

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to