25.16°C Vancouver

May 8, 2026 5:23 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur

Lethbridge man charged with breaching release conditions tied to child sexual abuse case

Share On
lethbridge-man-charged-with-breaching-release-conditions-tied-to-child-sexual-abuse-case
Police say a 36-year-old man is facing charges for allegedly breaching court-ordered release conditions. (Photo: X Lethbridge Police)

Lethbridge Police say a 36-year-old man has been charged after officers allegedly found him in contact with a youth while bound by court-ordered release conditions connected to previous child sexual abuse charges.

According to a Lethbridge Police Service release, officers responded May 6 to a report of a vulnerable 15-year-old girl getting into a vehicle with an adult male in the parking lot of a northside swimming pool. Police conducted a traffic stop and identified the driver as a man prohibited from having contact with anyone under 16 years old.

Police said the accused was also subject to conditions barring him from attending locations including schools, playgrounds, swimming pools, youth shelters and public parks. The restrictions were imposed following his release from custody in separate 2025 cases involving charges of child sexual assault and possessing and accessing child pornography.

David Alejandro Hernandez, 36, of Lethbridge, has been charged with two counts of breaching release conditions. The allegations have not been tested in court.

Hernandez remained in custody as of Friday awaiting a judicial interim release hearing, commonly referred to as a bail hearing. Police have not released additional information about the youth involved.

Release conditions are court-ordered measures intended to reduce risk to public safety while criminal charges are before the courts.

Hernandez is expected to appear before a justice for a bail hearing, where the court will determine whether he remains in custody pending further proceedings.

Latest news

BCAug 20, 2026

Single-Vehicle Collision Leads to Drug Trafficking Investigation

On August 19, 2026, at approximately 8:45 p.m., West Shore RCMP Frontline officers responded to a report of a single-vehicle collision involving a pickup truck near the intersection of Island Highway and Wale Road in Colwood. A witness told police that the vehicle had been performing a burnout before crashing into a telephone pole. Officers attended the scene and identified the driver as a 53-year-old man whose driver's licence had been suspended. Although the driver was determined to be sober, police found evidence of illicit narcotics inside the vehicle during their investigation. The man wa
carney-speaks-with-mexican-president-sheinbaum-on-trade-cusma-and-wildfire-cooperation
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney speaks with Mexican President Sheinbaum on trade, CUSMA and wildfire cooperation

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum to discuss bilateral trade relations and ways to strengthen trade across North America. During the conversation, Carney thanked Sheinbaum for Mexico’s support in Canada’s wildfire response, including the deployment of more than 400 firefighters and support personnel. The two leaders also discussed ongoing developments affecting the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), stressing the importance of advancing the agreement to protect businesses and workers and provide greater stability in trade. Carney
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Advance Voting for 3 Federal By-Elections Begins Friday in Canada

Advance voting for three federal by-elections in Canada is set to begin Friday. According to Elections Canada, advance voting will take place for four consecutive days, from Friday through Monday, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. The by-elections are being held in the federal ridings of North Vancouver–Capilano in British Columbia, Beaches–East York in Toronto, and Chicoutimi–Le Fjord in Quebec. Election Day for all three ridings is scheduled for August 31. The three by-elections are part of a series of federal by-elections being held across Canada this year. Earlier, on April 13, two federal b
WorldAug 20, 2026

43 Dead, 16 Rescued After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria

At least 43 people have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria’s northwestern Sokoto state, while 16 people have been rescued. Local officials said many of those who died were children. Abdulkadir Yusuf, a regional official with the National Inland Waterways Authority, said around 40 bodies had been recovered and rescue operations were continuing. Local lawmaker Nasiru Adamu put the death toll at 43. Residents said the boat was carrying farm owners and workers hired to harvest rice. However, reports differ on the number of people aboard the boat. One resident said more than 70 peo
BCAug 20, 2026

Garbage-Dumping Videos Go Viral in Abbotsford, Police Launch Investigation

Police in Abbotsford have launched an investigation after two separate videos showing garbage being dumped in a waterway and a local park went viral on social media. The two incidents are believed to have occurred in late July. In one video, a woman is seen dumping garbage at Mill Lake Park, while another video shows her dumping garbage near Bluejay Elementary School. According to Sgt. Paul Walker, police had not received any reports about the incidents before the videos went viral. However, after the videos were widely shared, around 30 people contacted or tagged the police department, provid

Related News