2.19°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-716-new-covid-19-cases-and-3-deaths
BCMar 25, 2021

B.C. reports 716 new COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths

BC is reporting 716 more cases of COVID-19 just as the province sets out new plans to have laid-off tourism and hospitality workers help with the immunization rollout. Today's additions bring BC's case count to 93 thousand 969 since the pandemic began. The province also reported three new deaths, for a toll of one thousand 441. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint statement that there has been "much progress" in BC's vaccine program. However, they urged residents to continue working together to help combat the pandemic. They say people who r
city-of-vancouver-releases-its-2020-statement-of-financial-information
BCMar 24, 2021

City of Vancouver releases its 2020 Statement of Financial Information

New financial data shows operating revenues for the City of Vancouver dropped by 90 million dollars, in large part due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mayor Kennedy Stewart says the city was able to save some money through more than 1,800 layoffs and the deferral of expensive capital projects as well as city council taking a 10 per cent pay cut. Stewart says the city is in much better shape than this time last year. A report on the city's budget says it expects the pandemic to continue to negatively affect non-tax revenues in to 2021. City of Vancouver on Twitter: Today the City released its 2020 S
deadliest-february-on-record-for-b-c-overdoses
BCMar 24, 2021

Deadliest February on record for B.C. overdoses

Figures released by the British Columbia Coroners Service identify 155 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths in February, the 11th consecutive month in which the province has recorded more than 100 lives lost."The number of deaths due to toxic illicit drugs in February highlights the ongoing critical risk to public health and safety from the illicit drug market," said Lisa Lapointe, B.C.'s chief coroner. "I extend my sincere sympathy to everyone who has lost a beloved family member or friend to substance use. The continued tragic and unprecedented rate of death in B.C. highlights the urgent n
new-affordable-housing-projects-announced-for-southern-vancouver-island
BCMar 24, 2021

New affordable housing projects announced for southern Vancouver Island

More than 90 new, affordable homes are coming to southern Vancouver Island, after the B.C. and federal governments announced $13.1 million in funding for the initiative. The homes will be split between Saanich and Central Saanich, with construction expected to begin this spring and summer. The funding is part of the federal government's Rapid Housing Initiative delivered through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and aimed at creating 4,700 affordable housing units across the country. The B.C. government will support the projects with annual operating funding over 20 years, and non-p
surrey-and-burnaby-rcmp-gang-enforcement-teams-arrest-two-suspects-following-an-alleged-armed-robbery-in-newton
BCMar 24, 2021

Surrey and Burnaby RCMP Gang Enforcement Teams arrest two suspects following an alleged armed robbery in Newton

The Surrey and Burnaby RCMP Gang Enforcement Teams say they worked together to arrest two suspects following an alleged armed robbery in Newton. Mounties say just before 8 pm on Sunday, two men flagged down a passing vehicle under the pretence of needing help before stealing the victim's personal property and driving away in a nearby vehicle. Police say although the victim was physically unhurt, this was a distressing incident for them, and victim services have been engaged. The Surrey RCMP Gang Enforcement Team says it immediately broadcasted details about the incident to other Lower Mainlan
victoria-police-releases-age-enhanced-sketch-of-the-boy-who-went-missing-30-years-ago
BCMar 24, 2021

Victoria police releases age-enhanced sketch of the boy who went missing 30 years ago

Victoria police and members of Michael Dunahee's family have released an age-enhanced sketch of the boy who went missing 30 years ago. The four year old boy was in the Blanchard School playground on March 24th, 1991, not far from where his family and others were playing a touch football game. A search for Michael involved hundreds of volunteers and numerous police agencies, but no trace of the boy was found. Police say the sketch was prepared by an RCMP forensic artist and shows what Michael may look like today at age 34. Victoria Police on Twitter: Have you seen missing man Michael Dunahee?
b-c-premier-john-horgan-to-announce-partnerships-in-covid-immunization-plan
BCMar 24, 2021

B.C. Premier John Horgan to announce partnerships in COVID immunization plan

British Columbia Premier John Horgan and Dr. Penny Ballem, the lead on the provincial COVID-19 immunization team, are to reveal more information today on the vaccine rollout.A government release says they will be announcing new partnerships for the immunization plan.Health officials announced yesterday that another 200,000 people who have serious medical conditions would be able to book a shot sooner than expected, starting on Monday.Health Minister Adrian Dix says "tremendous progress" has been made in the age-based vaccine program, allowing the government to move those who are at increased
congress-will-have-to-stand-strong-if-they-want-to-save-india-farooq-abdullah
IndiaMar 24, 2021

Congress will have to stand strong if they want to save India: Farooq Abdullah

While addressing a press conference in Jammu on March 23, the president of National Conference (NC), Farooq Abdullah said, "Congress has become weak. I am saying this honestly. Congress will have to wake up and stand strong if they want to save the country. They will have to look after problems faced by people." "This won't happen while sitting at home," he added.
farmers-may-have-to-enter-delhi-breach-barricades-again-rakesh-tikait-ahead-of-bharat-bandh
IndiaMar 24, 2021

Farmers may have to enter Delhi, breach barricades again: Rakesh Tikait ahead of Bharat Bandh

Ahead of the Bharat Bandh, Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) president Rakesh Tikait on Tuesday said that farmers agitating against the Central farm laws would not be divided and they may have to go to the national capital and breach barricades again. "They (Centre) has tried to divide us on the lines of caste and religion but they were unsuccessful. You would need to go to Delhi when asked and have to breach barricades again," Tikait said while addressing a gathering in Jaipur. Hitting out at the Central government, he said: "PM Modi said farmers can sell crops anywhere. We will prove it by selling

Just In

BCFeb 02, 2026

B.C. Rental Protection Fund surpasses goal, secures nearly 2,200 homes

More than 2,000 homes in British Columbia are now protected under the province’s Rental Protection Fund, giving thousands of renters greater housing stability and access to affordable rents. Launched in 2023 with a $500-million provincial investment, the fund works with non-profit housing providers to purchase rental buildings at risk of being sold to the private market. This approach helps ensure tenants can remain in their homes and communities without facing sudden rent increases or evictions. The fund originally aimed to secure 2,000 homes over three years. That target has been exceeded
nanaimo-rcmp-arrest-man-following-break-in-on-waterfront-vessel
BCFeb 02, 2026

Nanaimo RCMP arrest man following break‑in on waterfront vessel

Nanaimo RCMP have arrested an adult man after a series of incidents that began with an attempted theft at a Port Place Mall grocery store and ended with an alleged break‑and‑enter on a privately owned vessel along the city’s waterfront. Police say the situation began around 2:45 PM at Thrifty Foods, where staff reported a man tried to leave the store with unpaid items. When confronted by store security, the suspect allegedly threatened a Loss Prevention Officer. Shortly afterward, the same individual was observed boarding a tugboat moored nearby. Officers who responded reported that he b
prince-george-rcmp-investigate-early-morning-shooting-on-ahbau-street
BCFeb 02, 2026

Prince George RCMP Investigate Early-Morning Shooting on Ahbau Street

Prince George RCMP are investigating a shooting that took place shortly before 3:00 a.m. on Friday, January 30, on the 600-block of Ahbau Street. Officers responding to the scene confirmed that no residents were injured during the incident. The early stages of the investigation suggest the shooting was targeted, and authorities say there is no ongoing risk to the public. Ahbau Street was temporarily closed while officers conducted their initial work but has since been reopened. Cst. Jenna Moore, media relations officer for the Prince George RCMP, urged anyone who witnessed the incident or noti
trump-signals-tariff-cut-for-india-after-pledge-to-halt-russian-oil-imports
WorldFeb 02, 2026

Trump signals tariff cut for India after pledge to halt Russian oil imports

U.S. President Donald Trump says his administration plans to lower tariffs on Indian goods to 18 per cent, down from the current 25 per cent, after India agreed to stop purchasing oil from Russia. The announcement follows months of pressure from Washington urging New Delhi to reduce its reliance on discounted Russian crude amid the ongoing war in Ukraine. India has been one of the world’s largest buyers of Russian oil since Moscow’s February 2022 invasion of Ukraine, taking advantage of lower prices as many Western countries moved to restrict energy trade with Russia. The issue has been a
pakistan-says-145-militants-killed-in-security-crackdown-after-deadly-balochistan-attacks
WorldFeb 02, 2026

Pakistan says 145 militants killed in security crackdown after deadly Balochistan attacks

Pakistan’s security forces say they have killed about 145 militants in a series of counter-operations across the southwestern province of Balochistan, following coordinated attacks that left around 50 people dead. The provincial government says the operations were launched shortly after the assaults, which targeted multiple locations early Saturday. Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti said the army and police responded swiftly after the attacks, which were later claimed by the banned separatist group Balochistan Liberation Army. He stated that those killed in the security operation were