0.7°C Vancouver

News

crown-says-burden-is-on-mengs-lawyers-to-prove-device-information-was-wrongly-shared
BCMar 25, 2021

Crown says burden is on Meng's lawyers to prove device information was wrongly shared

A lawyer for Canada's attorney general says there's no evidence that the RCMP shared serial numbers with U.S. investigators for the devices of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou. John Gibb-Carsley told the B.C. Supreme Court that the burden of proof is on Meng's legal team to show the numbers were shared, but they can't do it. The court has seen email evidence that the Federal Bureau of Investigation asked for the serial numbers and RCMP collected them, but the email chain goes cold before confirming if they were sent or not. Meng's legal team is arguing that proceedings in her extradition case sh
BCMar 25, 2021

33 tickets issued and 59 vehicles ispected during a safety campaign: Delta police

Delta police say a fully loaded dump truck was pulled off the road earlier this month after officers discovered its brakes were completely inoperable during an enforcement blitz. Police says officers inspected 59 vehicles during a safety campaign on March 16, handing out 33 tickets, while drivers of 31 vehicles were given orders or had their vehicle placed out of service immediately. Officers also pulled over a commercial cargo van where the tread on two of its tires was gone and the wear was into the inner structure of the tires. Thirty inspections of taxis and ride-sharing vehicles were als
federal-government-faces-costly-path-to-recoup-wrongly-paid-aid-auditor-says
CanadaMar 25, 2021

Federal government faces costly path to recoup wrongly paid aid, auditor says

The federal auditor general is giving the Trudeau government a sort of back-handed compliment on how it handled the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Karen Hogan says the government moved as fast as it could to respond to the pandemic, but on the other hand it wasn't prepared for one in the first place. Hogan's report on the government's response found the Public Health Agency of Canada spent years letting elements of pandemic preparedness slide. She found the government's financial support programs rolled out well, but now extensive efforts will be needed to ensure the money went where it was
surrey-woman-is-responsible-for-more-than-250-000-dollars-in-fraud-police
BCMar 25, 2021

Surrey woman is responsible for more than 250,000 dollars in fraud: Police

RCMP in Alberta say a BC woman is responsible for more than 250,000 dollars in fraud connected to a scheme involving fake travel vouchers. Airdrie RCMP say they have arrested and charged 40 year old Alexandra Beckow.Beckow is from Surrey and has been arrested following an 18 month long fraud investigation. Officials say the victims reported they had purchased travel vouchers from Beckow or had fraudulent charges on their credit cards. Police say they have identified 47 victims from Alberta, BC and Ontario who were allegedly defrauded of more than 250,000 dollars.
three-cases-of-blood-clotting-reported-among-300-000-canadians-who-received-a-oxford-astrazeneca-shot-dr-supriya-sharma
CanadaMar 25, 2021

Three cases of blood clotting reported among 300,000 Canadians who received a Oxford-AstraZeneca shot: Dr. Supriya Sharma

Health Canada's chief medical adviser says the three cases of blood clotting reported out of 300,000 Canadians who have received a Oxford-AstraZeneca shot have no apparent link to the vaccine. Dr. Supriya Sharma says none of the cases resemble the very rare brain blood clot seen in a small number of patients in Europe. She notes that blood clotting rates are the same or even higher among people who have not received the AstraZeneca vaccine than for those who have been jabbed. Warning of blood clotting on product label for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine Health Canada has updated the product l
man-and-teen-charged-after-body-of-a-woman-found-burned-in-burnaby-park
BCMar 25, 2021

Man and teen charged after body of a woman found burned in Burnaby park

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says a woman whose burned body was found in a Burnaby park was a recent immigrant from the Philippines and mother with a loving family.Ma Cecilia Loreto was 49 years old and two people, aged 21 and 15, have been charged with first-degree murder and indignity to human remains after her death.Corporal Frank Jang says it is ``incredible'' that Carlo Tobias and the youth are facing the most serious murder charges in the book, but he cannot say much about the case as it's before the courts.He did say that the three knew each other, the alleged killing was
karnataka-cases-filed-against-farm-leader-rakesh-tikait-over-shivamogga-speech
IndiaMar 25, 2021

Karnataka: Cases filed against farm leader Rakesh Tikait over Shivamogga speech

Two cases have been registered, one each in Karnataka's Shivamogga and Haveri, against Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) president Rakesh Tikait over his recent speech in Shivamogga.On Saturday, while addressing a gathering of farmers, Tikait had said farmers in Karnataka should organise a protest in the state similar to that of Delhi and gherao Bengaluru from all sides."You need to make a 'Delhi' in Bengaluru. You need to gherao Bengaluru (like Delhi) from all sides and people will come and join your protest...The Prime Minister said farmers can sell crops anywhere so you take your crops to offices
40-beds-hospital-opened-at-tikri-border-to-provide-health-services-to-farmers
IndiaMar 25, 2021

40 beds hospital opened at Tikri border to provide health services to farmers

Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) has on Wednesday established a 40-bed hospital at Tikri border for the farmers who are protesting against the Centre's three farm laws for several months.In an official statement, the national in-charge of INLD, Arjun Chautala said: "The government wanted to deprive the farmers of health facilities so that the farm movement could be hampered. So our party decided to provide healthcare service at the maximum level.""We decided to establish a medical camp at Tikri border in which a temporary hospital carrying 40 beds has been established to look after the health of
CanadaMar 25, 2021

Crown says it was reasonable for border screening to precede Meng's arrest

A lawyer for Canada's attorney general says it was entirely reasonable for border officers to question Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou before her arrest in 2018. Diba Majzub told the B.C. Supreme Court that Meng's arrival at a port of entry created a unique context where both the RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency had mandates to fulfil. He says there's no playbook or operations manual that spells out which organization should go first. Majzub made the comments as he disputed claims from Meng's legal team that Canadian and U.S. officials co-ordinated a covert criminal investigation under th

Just In

BCFeb 02, 2026

B.C. Rental Protection Fund surpasses goal, secures nearly 2,200 homes

More than 2,000 homes in British Columbia are now protected under the province’s Rental Protection Fund, giving thousands of renters greater housing stability and access to affordable rents. Launched in 2023 with a $500-million provincial investment, the fund works with non-profit housing providers to purchase rental buildings at risk of being sold to the private market. This approach helps ensure tenants can remain in their homes and communities without facing sudden rent increases or evictions. The fund originally aimed to secure 2,000 homes over three years. That target has been exceeded
nanaimo-rcmp-arrest-man-following-break-in-on-waterfront-vessel
BCFeb 02, 2026

Nanaimo RCMP arrest man following break‑in on waterfront vessel

Nanaimo RCMP have arrested an adult man after a series of incidents that began with an attempted theft at a Port Place Mall grocery store and ended with an alleged break‑and‑enter on a privately owned vessel along the city’s waterfront. Police say the situation began around 2:45 PM at Thrifty Foods, where staff reported a man tried to leave the store with unpaid items. When confronted by store security, the suspect allegedly threatened a Loss Prevention Officer. Shortly afterward, the same individual was observed boarding a tugboat moored nearby. Officers who responded reported that he b
prince-george-rcmp-investigate-early-morning-shooting-on-ahbau-street
BCFeb 02, 2026

Prince George RCMP Investigate Early-Morning Shooting on Ahbau Street

Prince George RCMP are investigating a shooting that took place shortly before 3:00 a.m. on Friday, January 30, on the 600-block of Ahbau Street. Officers responding to the scene confirmed that no residents were injured during the incident. The early stages of the investigation suggest the shooting was targeted, and authorities say there is no ongoing risk to the public. Ahbau Street was temporarily closed while officers conducted their initial work but has since been reopened. Cst. Jenna Moore, media relations officer for the Prince George RCMP, urged anyone who witnessed the incident or noti
trump-signals-tariff-cut-for-india-after-pledge-to-halt-russian-oil-imports
WorldFeb 02, 2026

Trump signals tariff cut for India after pledge to halt Russian oil imports

U.S. President Donald Trump says his administration plans to lower tariffs on Indian goods to 18 per cent, down from the current 25 per cent, after India agreed to stop purchasing oil from Russia. The announcement follows months of pressure from Washington urging New Delhi to reduce its reliance on discounted Russian crude amid the ongoing war in Ukraine. India has been one of the world’s largest buyers of Russian oil since Moscow’s February 2022 invasion of Ukraine, taking advantage of lower prices as many Western countries moved to restrict energy trade with Russia. The issue has been a
pakistan-says-145-militants-killed-in-security-crackdown-after-deadly-balochistan-attacks
WorldFeb 02, 2026

Pakistan says 145 militants killed in security crackdown after deadly Balochistan attacks

Pakistan’s security forces say they have killed about 145 militants in a series of counter-operations across the southwestern province of Balochistan, following coordinated attacks that left around 50 people dead. The provincial government says the operations were launched shortly after the assaults, which targeted multiple locations early Saturday. Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti said the army and police responded swiftly after the attacks, which were later claimed by the banned separatist group Balochistan Liberation Army. He stated that those killed in the security operation were