22.36°C Vancouver

News

IndiaJul 31, 2026

India says Kartarpur Corridor to remain closed amid ongoing security concerns

The Government of India has said the Sri Kartarpur Sahib Corridor will remain closed, citing the current security situation despite requests from Sikh religious organizations to reopen the cross-border pilgrimage route. The Ministry of External Affairs said it has received representations from Sikh religious groups seeking the reopening of the corridor. However, the ministry stated that prevailing security conditions have necessitated keeping the corridor closed. The issue was raised during the ongoing Monsoon Session of Parliament by Members of Parliament Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Gurmeet Sing
supreme-court-issues-notice-to-punjab-cm-bhagwant-mann-aap-leaders-in-2020-protest-case
IndiaJul 30, 2026

Supreme Court issues notice to Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann, AAP leaders in 2020 protest case

The Supreme Court has issued notices to Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann and several Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leaders on a petition filed by the Chandigarh Administration challenging a Punjab and Haryana High Court ruling that quashed a rioting case linked to a 2020 protest against higher electricity tariffs. The notices were issued to Mann, Harpal Singh Cheema, Gurmeet Singh, Meet Hayer, Baljinder Kaur, Aman Arora and others, directing them to respond to the Chandigarh Administration's petition. During the hearing, the Additional Solicitor General argued that the High Court's decision was leg
punjab-cm-bhagwant-mann-says-no-exam-papers-leaked-during-aap-governments-tenure
IndiaJul 28, 2026

Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann says no exam papers leaked during AAP government’s tenure

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann said his government has not reported any paper leaks in the state during the past four and a half years, rejecting allegations raised by opposition leaders. Mann’s remarks came hours after BJP MPs protested outside Parliament demanding the resignation of Punjab Education Minister Harjot Bains over alleged irregularities related to examinations. According to Mann, the Punjab government has provided 69,000 government jobs during its tenure based on merit and without recommendations, paper leaks or cash transactions. He said allegations of paper leaks were be
IndiaJul 27, 2026

Punjab sanitation workers end strike after agreement with government

Sanitation workers in Punjab have announced an end to their strike after reaching an agreement with the Punjab government over their long-pending demands. The decision follows a series of measures announced by the state government, including a substantial increase in monthly wages for sanitation employees. According to the Punjab government, sanitation workers who were previously receiving a monthly salary of ₹10,500 will now receive ₹20,500. The revised wages will be paid from Aug. 1 to sanitation workers and sewermen employed on a contractual basis. The government also announced the form
sonam-wangchuk-ends-hunger-strike-reports-claim-congress-mp-vivek-tankha-helped-break-deadlock
IndiaJul 24, 2026

Sonam Wangchuk ends hunger strike; reports claim Congress MP Vivek Tankha helped break deadlock

Social activist Sonam Wangchuk has ended his hunger strike after what he described as two days of continuous talks with the central government. Reports claim Congress Rajya Sabha MP Vivek Tankha played a key role in facilitating backchannel discussions that helped resolve the impasse. According to the reports, backchannel negotiations continued for nearly three days, with efforts made at multiple levels to reach a consensus. Some Ladakhi leaders are also reported to have acted as intermediaries during the discussions. Tankha has previously represented Wangchuk in the Supreme Court in a case re
pm-modi-announces-fast-track-courts-for-paper-leak-cases-as-protests-continue
IndiaJul 23, 2026

PM Modi announces fast-track courts for paper leak cases as protests continue

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday issued his first public response to the ongoing paper leak controversy, announcing that fast-track courts will be established to ensure the speedy trial of those accused in the cases. He said the government is committed to taking strict action against those responsible for examination paper leaks. Despite the announcement, protests over the issue continued. Demonstrators and opposition parties described the measure as insufficient and reiterated their demand for the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. Late Wednesday, clash
IndiaJul 22, 2026

Sonam Wangchuk says he will end hunger strike if government assures no action against student protesters

Social activist Sonam Wangchuk has said he is prepared to end his 24-day hunger strike over the alleged NEET-UG examination paper leak if the central government provides a written assurance that no punitive or retaliatory legal action will be taken against students who participated in the examination reform movement. According to a letter issued by Wangchuk, the assurance would protect student protesters involved in demonstrations demanding reforms to the examination system following the NEET-UG controversy. Wangchuk said Union ministers J.P. Nadda and Jitendra Singh met him on Tuesday night a
raja-warring-seeks-resignation-of-punjab-cm-education-minister-over-repeated-exam-paper-leak-cases
IndiaJul 22, 2026

Raja Warring seeks resignation of Punjab CM, Education Minister over repeated exam paper leak cases

Punjab Congress president Amarinder Singh Raja Warring has demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann and Education Minister Harjot Singh Bains, alleging the state government has failed to prevent repeated examination paper leaks in Punjab. In a statement issued on Wednesday, Warring said several major paper leak incidents have been reported during the Mann government's tenure. He cited the Punjab Group-B recruitment examination, which he said was leaked about six months ago, along with alleged leaks involving the Class 12 English examination, the Punjab State Teacher Eligibility
IndiaJul 21, 2026

P.M. Modi Assures Farmers Their Interests Will Be Protected in Trade Deals

Amid a march by farmers from Punjab and Haryana toward Delhi to protest the proposed India–U.S. trade agreement and heightened tensions at the Shambhu border, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said the central government remains fully committed to the welfare of farmers. The Prime Minister said farmers' interests would be given top priority in any trade agreement. He added that the government would take decisions after considering the concerns of the agricultural community. Modi also addressed students protesting over the NEET-UG paper leak case. He said the government is treating the

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to